When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any Seiko Experts in the House?

jmb

I have an old Seiko Perpetual Calendar 8f33 powered watch which I just changed battery in. I thought I swapped it out pretty quickly but the sweep hand increments in 5 second "batches" and surfing I've done indicates the calendar data needs to be input. None of these net hits have indicated how to do it! Anyone here know the secret? The watch has sentimental value which makes me want to keep it around...

I have an old Seiko Perpetual Calendar 8f33 powered watch which I just changed battery in. I thought I swapped it out pretty quickly but the sweep hand increments in 5 second "batches" and surfing I've done indicates the calendar data needs to be input. None of these net hits have indicated how to do it! Anyone here know the secret? The watch has sentimental value which makes me want to keep it around...

I had an ETA quartz with just the date do the same thing...I just replaced the movement...$28 for the replacement movement. If you can figure out the movement #, they are pretty easy to find.

I can see if I can source one if you want...feel free to PM me.

O/S, I have the manual and that doesn't cover inputting the calendar data.

Toad - it's a Seiko 8F33 movement.

The really irritating thing is that it was working fine but in the low battery mode so I bought a new battery for it. I knew the battery had to be changed quickly or loose the calendar data so was pretty quick (< 1 minute) getting it swapped but it didn't matter... :angry:

OK, with the movement technical docs I was able to re-set the year, month, and date and the calendar appears to be working correctly! PITA!!!!!!!! Having to short little tabs along the edge of the movement to the + side of the battery, etc. Sure gives me a new appreciation for mechanical movements!

Thanks for all the help/suggestions from everybody...

Toad - I'll try to take a pic tomorrow. It's 8-10 years old and rather beat up and I've replaced the crystal with a plain flat one since I couldn't find one with the extra-wide magnifier! The sweep hand is "ticking" nicely now that I've re-input the calendar data...

The ticking 5 seconds at a time is an indication that the calendar data has been lost.

Here's a couple of pics. I just realized, after taking these pics, that I pressed the bezel back on a bit off after putting in the new crystal.

post-24124-0-26509700-1288876360.jpg

post-24124-0-68880500-1288876366.jpg

This has been an extremely durable (except crystals) watch, probably the most abused of any watch I've owned. It has weld splatters stuch to the band and the original crystal had little craters burned into it from welding spatters and it never complained! Plus, once charged up it's almost like a searchlight when the lights go out!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

RE: Seiko 8F33

FACTORY SETTINGS

So far online all of the setting instruction I could find were for an end user and not complete and very basic.  With some experimenting I came up with the following.  No Guarantees!

I did get it running and set.

Notice: along the perimeter of the battery there are contacts:

AC (to stop it from jumping 5 seconds at a time)

1 with arrow

2 with arrow

Y

M

Set time to midnight

stop second hand at 60 by pulling out crown to second position.

I had to use a mirror to see the dial while trying this.

the 1 and 2:  set what is the 1st  by touching 1 or 2 to battery and advancing or reversing date

Touch Y to battery and notice that the date will move from 1, 2, 3, 4 for each connection; touch again and it moves back to 1.  This sets the year after leap year.  For 2014 stop the calendar at 2 by touching twice (leap year is 2010 plus 2 to 2014).

Same for month.  M  Jan is 1, October is 10, etc.

This is what I can remember so anyone can add to this for it is not likely complete but I hope it helps.

dL