When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My new wine!

bluphyre

In my humble opinion it's ridiculous to spend so much for a bottle of wine - don't get me wrong, of course it's great to get such a present, but.... Maybe it's different in the US, but here in Europe you get the best of the best for around 30-40 euros (except those "grail" wines plaifender mentioned). Doesn't make sense to buy more expensive wines, you won't find that it tastes "better", just different. May even be worse, just because a wine is expensive doesn't mean it suits your personal taste. Personally I stick with 10-20 euro wines and have found a lot of true gems among them.

But I'd love to read your review, too!

Cheers drinks.gif (no wine glasses, sorry)!

Hum... I'm sorry, but I'm afraid that we cannot have the "best of the best" for 30/40 €. With that price, for sure you can find delicious wines. For sure, you can also find bad wines much more expensive. But real great wines (I said "great", not "good") cost at least 50 €, and most often more than 100 €. And I'm not speaking of "grails".

Just for fun... do you know where the most expensive wine comes from ? Not California, or Spain, or Italy, or France. It comes from Germany ! It is a sweet white wine, more expensive than legendary French Romanée Conti.

Paul

• 5 months later...

Hearing americans talk about wine.. and it's "luxury" price tags.... is alot like hearing spanish people talking about Harleys..... smile.gif

A nice Ribera del Duero like Bodega Abadia Retuerta 2006 is good if not possibly better quality than 90% of the wine coming out of napa and costs 15 euros (around 20 bucks or maybe 50 bucks form Reserva Especial 2003 or 2004) smile.gif (which is a fairly expensive for a reserve wine in spain) smile.gif This is of course not counting "grail" wines that our highly sought and limited production from wineries that are highly specialized or even out of business.

But then again, wine production in spain versus one small valley in california has no comparison.

Dear Tomhorn

Absolutly according with you, for me Ribera del Duero is the best, second is (very nice too) Rioja, and after some wines from Burdeaux, but Ribera del Duero is the delicattesen, for exemple, Abadia, Protos, Tamaron, and of course the best is Vega Sicilia, the most important is you can drink and tested a very good wine for a reasonable prices from €10 to 15, the quality is the best.

Talking about wines of California, have you tried the wines from Chile? if not, i think you must.

Cheers

yeah, in France you get some great stuff for about 4 euro too!! but we don't have good hamburgers...(no kidding, i've been looking for them for the last 15 years. Not found any yet!!!!! and i'd sell my mum for them!!)

Funny story .. I was in New Hampshire near the Canadian border. I had stopped at a beautiful resort for lunch, on my way to my final destination. I'd been there several times before, and had tasted most lunch entrees on the menu during my previous visits. This day, all I was really in the mood for was a really good hamburger, so that's what I ordered.

Two tables over, I can clearly hear some French Canadians reacting with outrage that I would order a hamburger off of this wonderful menu in such a beautiful place. One of them over-ruled the rest in clear English, and said with both purpose and resignation "It is the National dish"

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...