When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My new wine!

bluphyre

• 2 months later...

Hearing americans talk about wine.. and it's "luxury" price tags.... is alot like hearing spanish people talking about Harleys..... :)

A nice Ribera del Duero like Bodega Abadia Retuerta 2006 is good if not possibly better quality than 90% of the wine coming out of napa and costs 15 euros (around 20 bucks or maybe 50 bucks form Reserva Especial 2003 or 2004) :) (which is a fairly expensive for a reserve wine in spain) :) This is of course not counting "grail" wines that our highly sought and limited production from wineries that are highly specialized or even out of business.

But then again, wine production in spain versus one small valley in california has no comparison.

Edited by plaifender

In my humble opinion it's ridiculous to spend so much for a bottle of wine - don't get me wrong, of course it's great to get such a present, but.... Maybe it's different in the US, but here in Europe you get the best of the best for around 30-40 euros (except those "grail" wines plaifender mentioned). Doesn't make sense to buy more expensive wines, you won't find that it tastes "better", just different. May even be worse, just because a wine is expensive doesn't mean it suits your personal taste. Personally I stick with 10-20 euro wines and have found a lot of true gems among them.

But I'd love to read your review, too!

Cheers :drinks: (no wine glasses, sorry)!

In my humble opinion it's ridiculous to spend so much for a bottle of wine - don't get me wrong, of course it's great to get such a present, but.... Maybe it's different in the US, but here in Europe you get the best of the best for around 30-40 euros (except those "grail" wines plaifender mentioned). Doesn't make sense to buy more expensive wines, you won't find that it tastes "better", just different. May even be worse, just because a wine is expensive doesn't mean it suits your personal taste. Personally I stick with 10-20 euro wines and have found a lot of true gems among them.

But I'd love to read your review, too!

Cheers :drinks: (no wine glasses, sorry)!

big problem in the states is the cost of wine though. It's considered a luxury item there...

Here in spain what would be considered "good wine" in america would cost me $5.00usd at the local market..

When I was working in Massachusetts the restaurant I worked at had an Italian Chianti called "Ruffino". It was our least expensive wine and we sold it for 50usd. Two months later I moved to Perugia, Italy and was in the supermarket one day and to my surprise looked to my right and saw a bottle of "Ruffino" on the supermarket shelf being sold for 4.00€!!!

Edited by plaifender

I don't understand all them hoitsy toitsy names. I keep it simple. Here's my top Walmart choices:

1. Chateau Traileur Parc
  2. White Trashfindel
  3. Big Red Gulp
  4. Grape Expectations
  5. Domaine Wal-Mart "Merde du Pays"
  6. NASCARbernet
  7. Chef Boyardeaux
  8. Peanut Noir
  9. Chateau des Moines
  10. I Can't Believe It's Not Vinegar!
  11. World Championship Riesling
  12. Nasti Spumante

yeah, in France you get some great stuff for about 4 euro too!! but we don't have good hamburgers...(no kidding, i've been looking for them for the last 15 years. Not found any yet!!!!! and i'd sell my mum for them!!)

if you like white, there are some Chablis which are VERY good around 20euro....

Edited by whoever

Hearing americans talk about wine.. and it's "luxury" price tags.... is alot like hearing spanish people talking about Harleys..... :)

A nice Ribera del Duero like Bodega Abadia Retuerta 2006 is good if not possibly better quality than 90% of the wine coming out of napa and costs 15 euros (around 20 bucks or maybe 50 bucks form Reserva Especial 2003 or 2004) :) (which is a fairly expensive for a reserve wine in spain) :) This is of course not counting "grail" wines that our highly sought and limited production from wineries that are highly specialized or even out of business.

But then again, wine production in spain versus one small valley in california has no comparison.

I love the Alion from that region.

Edited by tomhorn

I don't understand all them hoitsy toitsy names. I keep it simple. Here's my top Walmart choices:

1. Chateau Traileur Parc
  2. White Trashfindel
  3. Big Red Gulp
  4. Grape Expectations
  5. Domaine Wal-Mart "Merde du Pays"
  6. NASCARbernet
  7. Chef Boyardeaux
  8. Peanut Noir
  9. Chateau des Moines
  10. I Can't Believe It's Not Vinegar!
  11. World Championship Riesling
  12. Nasti Spumante

too funny

i love merde du pays lol

• 2 months later...

big problem in the states is the cost of wine though. It's considered a luxury item there...

Here in spain what would be considered "good wine" in america would cost me $5.00usd at the local market..

When I was working in Massachusetts the restaurant I worked at had an Italian Chianti called "Ruffino". It was our least expensive wine and we sold it for 50usd. Two months later I moved to Perugia, Italy and was in the supermarket one day and to my surprise looked to my right and saw a bottle of "Ruffino" on the supermarket shelf being sold for 4.00€!!!

The wine costs the same- what kills us in Canada and the US are the taxes that are added to the cost of each bottle. The taxes are even higher in Canada than the US. A decent Barolo or Amarone can be picked up for $16-17 in the US, but the same bottle north of the border is more than double the price, at $37. Same thing with cigars. The same box of cigars that I can buy in Cuba for approx $160 (retail) sells for over $400 at local tobacco merchants. The rest is ALL tax.

@Nanuq, that Wal-Mart list is awesome! :lol:

As for Opus, I toured the winery back in 1995 when they were still coming out. It is a quality / consistent product. Consistent being the key word. Personally, I like my wine to vary from vintage to vintage-- but for those who want the same flavor profile year after year, Opus gets it right. Some would say it is a bit 'over engineered'. Still, a great California offering.

My buddy sells it at his wine shop for $69 to $89 a bottle.

The most expensive bottles of wine I have personally consumed, thanks to a very wealthy friend were-- $16,000 & $23,000 (what he paid in the 80's). (We drank a DAYTONA!!! :shock:) They were 1979 Mouton Rothschield (Paulliac) and 1979 Lafite Rothschield (Paulliac). We did a side-by-side tasting and traditional French meal with them. :thumbsupsmileyanim: While they were excellent perfect 100's, no beverage I can think of is worth that much.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Opus was decent for a Cali cab, but there are far better below Opus' cost that drink much higher; check out Nickel & Nickel of Far Niente. Plus, any Opus over the last few years has gone down the toilet due to Rothschild & Mondavi selling off the estate & losing the winemaker they had from Mouton Rothschild...

Opus was decent for a Cali cab, but there are far better below Opus' cost that drink much higher; check out Nickel & Nickel of Far Niente. Plus, any Opus over the last few years has gone down the toilet due to Rothschild & Mondavi selling off the estate & losing the winemaker they had from Mouton Rothschild...

Now THAT is a man who knows his wine :)