When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Follow up 1665 questions

Prsist

the rep crown is too big i believe, how much smaller is the gen 24-703 crown?

gen crown and tube will make for a smoother winding and adjusting experience, correct?

i find the rep crystal is pretty good, ive read that a clarks is a massive improvement and ive heard it isnt, what is the consensus?

Yes the rep crown is far too big. Replace it with a 703 crown and aftermarket tube and it will feel nice and smooth as you screw it down tight. Otherwise the winding etc will feel the same. Be sure to relieve the case so the bevel of the tube has room to screw in, else the crown will stand off from the case too far and the tube won't be correctly seated.

The Clarks will look very close to what you have now. Flatten your insert so it's not as conical, and that will increase the height of your crystal sidewalls. If you really want an obvious visual difference you have to go gen, and that will run $300 to $500 for a Superdome. A service replacement dome T39 will likely be around $150 or a little more. Either gen crystal will be noticeably better. Whether they fit your case well remains to be seen.

I remember reading a fairly detailed review of Clarks rep glass versus gen T39 and for the difference in price the Clarks was the one I opted for. I have a fully modded DRSD 1665 with Clarks glass and it is marvellous. I have to admit there is nothing as good as gen parts, it gives you a good feeling to look at your watch and know that a certain percentage of it is gen and I suppose that is worth a few $$ in itself but looking at the watch as a mere piece of machinery then the difference in the gen glass and the rep is not worth paying for...... unless you get a bargain of course!!

The rep crown is just way tooooo wide

Puretime crown is 4.3mm wide

Gen 24-703 is 3.86mm wide

Thats a big difference. :black_eye:

The rep crown is not even close. I used the PT tube on my 1680 and the gen crown threaded on nicely. The only thing that might be an issue is a pressure test for water resistance but I havent done that yet. My 1680 case does in fact leak but im not sure from where. I replaced the caseback gasket with a service gasket from Ofrei. The PT gasket was too thin and allowed the caseback to bottom out metal on metal with the case with very little torque. The service gasket is the same diameter but a bit thicker. My crystal is snapped on VERY solid so I cant see that leaking... so it must be my PT tube/gen crown combination. I did put all the gaskets in and lubed them but it might be leaking through the threads into the case. I'll have to pull the tube and replace it next time I take it apart.

dizz

Regarding the crystals, I have found that nothing beats the gen superdome. IMO the additional expense of adding a gen crystal is insignificant in comparison to the overall cost of a project. The self satisfaction of knowing the first thing I saw when I looked at any of my project watches was a genuine rolex part was always reason enough for me to buy gen crystals, inserts, crown/tubes, etc.

I hear what you're saying JoJo and I do agree about the feeling of seeing gen parts. Also I like to explain to people that the watch is a mixture of genuine and replica parts, it often sparks off a conversation with the uninitiated. But what is the going rate for a gen T39 now, $300 or more? The clarks T39 is $63. Given that they are both made of the same material and that you would be hard pushed to spot the difference with the naked eye, would not your extra $237 be more wisely spent elsewhere on the watch?

Regarding the crystals, I have found that nothing beats the gen superdome. IMO the additional expense of adding a gen crystal is insignificant in comparison to the overall cost of a project. The self satisfaction of knowing the first thing I saw when I looked at any of my project watches was a genuine rolex part was always reason enough for me to buy gen crystals, inserts, crown/tubes, etc.

+1

I have a gen t-39 on my 1665 and its absolutely awesome. Words cant describe the difference. The gen just sparkles! Its a major improvement for any modded vintage trust me.

dizz

There are a couple of threads comparing Clarks & gen superdomes & the differences, while real, are minute, at best. Add the fact that the last of the gen T39s were made more than 20 years ago, which means your beautiful dome may not be as reliable as it once was (this is why Rolex no longer offers them during service). Clarks, being a new part, gives you most of the benefits of the gen with none of its shortcomings. I think it is safe to say that I am willing to spare no expense when it comes to building gens & frankens, but this is 1 case where I think (Clark's) aftermarket is the better choice.

Yes the rep crown is far too big. Replace it with a 703 crown and aftermarket tube and it will feel nice and smooth as you screw it down tight. Otherwise the winding etc will feel the same. Be sure to relieve the case so the bevel of the tube has room to screw in, else the crown will stand off from the case too far and the tube won't be correctly seated.

The Clarks will look very close to what you have now. Flatten your insert so it's not as conical, and that will increase the height of your crystal sidewalls. If you really want an obvious visual difference you have to go gen, and that will run $300 to $500 for a Superdome. A service replacement dome T39 will likely be around $150 or a little more. Either gen crystal will be noticeably better. Whether they fit your case well remains to be seen.

Flatten the insert?

Send a 1665 in today and get a flat acrylic crystal?

Not "flat" like a t-127 but also not nearly as domed as the original t-39. The GW had a flatter crystal than the DR, except for very early GWs. Think more of that dome than Superdome when you hear the words t-39 service replacement.

Two gen t-39s, service replacement from early 70s on the left, superdome t-39 on the right.

lugs1.jpg