When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ronin's Rail 1665

Ronin

Hello everyone. Just thought I would have a little fun, and turn my latest build into a contest. (Admin/Mod's, if you do not approve, edit accordingly).

The plan / contest. Summary, for every correct answer below, I (Ronin) will donate to the RWG November Rent.

Current $ raised: $51.50

Scoring / $ accumulation:

Correct Answers (WITH EXPLANATION, as to how you came up with your answer) = $5.00

Incorrect Answers = -$2.00, minus $2.00

Correct or Incorrect Answers (with NO explanation) = $0, Zip, Zero

Bonus: Describe any "modifications" to any part = $2.50

Questions:

1. Is the case rep, gen/service, or aftermarket? Who was the original maker/supplier of the case? (i.e. Rolex, Silix, MBW/MBK, Phong, DW, Yuki, et. al.)
  2. Is the dial rep, gen/service, or aftermarket?
  3. Name dial source specifically. (Who I got it from)
  4. Are the hands rep, gen/service, or aftermarket? How can you tell?
  5. Is the crystal rep, gen/service, or aftermarket? Be specific- source, model, etc.
  6. Is the bezel rep, gen/service, or aftermarket? Be specific- source, model, etc.
  7. Is the insert rep, gen/service, or aftermarket? Be specific- source, model, etc.
  8. Is the crown/tube rep, gen, or aftermarket? How can you tell?
  9. Is the caseback rep, gen, or aftermarket? Be specific.
  10. Are the springbars rep, gen, or aftermarket?
  11. Is the bracelet rep, gen, or aftermarket? Be specific- source, model, etc.
  12. Who did I get the HE Valve from?
  13. What movement do you think is in the watch, and why? (Hint: movement is NOT 2836 or 21J)
  14. BONUS $2.50 each for any "modifications" to any part.

TOTAL POSSIBLE VALUE OF QUESTIONS = $77.50 --- If everything is answered correctly that is how much I will personally donate to RWG.

RULES:

• Anyone can participate, however, if YOU provided me with one of the above parts, or have prior knowledge via PM, you can not answer that specific question(s).
  • One certain member can NOT participate as he has FULL knowledge of the project. He knows who is. ;)
  • Once a question has been answered correctly its earning potential is over.
  • Contest ends 48 hours from post date/time
  • I will provide regular updates as to what the $ tally is.
  • Remember answers WITHOUT explanation of how you figured it out do not count.
  • NOTE: The watch is NOT a prize, or for sale.
    PRIZES:
    • At my discretion, I may recognize members who participate. Prizes may include tools, parts, etc. TBA.

On to the fun part. Below are the pictures I am going to share for the contest. HAVE FUN!

9a25pp1010119.jpg

9a25pp1010098.jpg

9a25pp1000999.jpg

9a25pp1010016.jpg

9a25pp1010062.jpg

9a25pp1010066.jpg

9a25pp1010068.jpg

9a25pp1010073.jpg

9a25pp1010079.jpg

9a25pp1010080.jpg

9a25pp1010092.jpg

9a25pp1010099.jpg

9a25pp1010125.jpg

9a25pp1010095.jpg

9a25pp1010126.jpg

9a25pp1010129.jpg

MBW case and case back...with lugs bevelled, lug holes drilled

genuine 703 crown.

RULES:

• Remember answers WITHOUT explanation of how you figured it out do not count.

Tell me specifically why you think so? I am tempted to give you 'partial' credit, but lets let this run out a bit more. :victory::clapping:

HEV -Yuki Looks just like the one I saw in the photo Freddy sent me

Case MBW modified w/ caseguards shaved lugholes drilled - Movement looks to be an ETA , so would be MBW unles you have one of the Yuki adapter rings to use an ETA in a Yuki case

Datewheel- ETA MBW 1665 The "29" font looks exactly like the one on my MBW DRSD 1665

Movement - can't see inside (My Xray vision is down for repairs!!) But I would suspect a slow beat 2846-2 as it is closer to the genuine Rolex 1570

Insert- genuine "fat font" w genuine pearl just doesn’t look like the rep pearls to me.

Endlinks- Wholesale outlet or some other replica not genuine. Lettering on genuine is smaller and crisper

Bracelet- ETZ –again lettering is not the same as genuine. Genuine 93150 is smaller and crisper. engraving vs stamped

Is that genuine 1570 movement---I see serif fonts on the date wheel. Also, the hands, on the cannon pinon are rounded.

I don't know if the case is MBW,I doubt it. But the case back of the MBW I saw had black paint in them. SO I assumed it was MBW.

The 703 crown would be wrong for the model though. The coronet on genuine early 703 crown would have narrow opening, where this is wide, like the ones you see on 2007 z series ones. I thought it was genuine since the top side of the crown is flat-ish, where it's usually rounded. However, that said, it does look a bit large.

Getting there. $33.50 :thumbsupsmileyanim:

So far I have only deducted for two wrong answers. (4.00)

@panerai53 - Great Job, you are top earner! Bracelet - - This one is going to be a challenge (I hope). I did not deduct for the wrong part, since you have some of it right. :whistling:

@praetor - A Rolex expert I trust once explained to me that SeaDwellers actually did come with black painted backs - you are correct however in your analysis. Time has all but erased this feature that now has people scrambling to strip the paint. For the crown, I will give you credit for it being GEN, newer service part. I was looking for a comment about the crisp engraving and tapers. About the hands, these are in fact not the normal rep hands, so what are they?

Keep up the fun,

without reading any previous answers

End links look like PTs and dont fit the case, so fake

insert looks like PMWF and the pearl is from ofrei

valve looks like yukis

the dome is genuine

the caseback is from an MBK, id recognize it anywhere

the dial looks really good, but i just doubt one would spend the money on a gen dial...based on that alone id say fake, unless youre truly sick. :p

the clasp has a bit of a double strike to it so this is what i would say indicates a fake and would naturally assume the bracelet therefor is as well

the hands are fake, the hour hand lume doesnt extend far enough to the base close to the pinnion, the only rep maker ive ever seen this get right was watchmaker 9. the hands still look good for aftermarket tho.

datewheel looks great, and not sure about the crown other than its the wrong style for the period of the watch

either way the whole watch looks really nice

Edited by highoeyazmuhudee

Hands -Tudor Submariner hands they are really genuine Rolex (Made)but made to fit an ETA movement

The dial has me! I doubt a genuine rail dial. those are waaaaay up there in the stratosphere. It could be a genuine redial, but I'm not sure about that at all.

without reading any previous answers

End links look like PTs and dont fit the case, so fake

insert looks like PMWF and the pearl is from ofrei

valve looks like yukis

the dome is genuine

the caseback is from an MBK, id recognize it anywhere

the dial looks really good, but i just doubt one would spend the money on a gen dial...based on that alone id say fake, unless youre truly sick. :p

the clasp has a bit of a double strike to it so this is what i would say indicates a fake and would naturally assume the bracelet therefor is as well

the hands are fake, the hour hand lume doesnt extend far enough to the base close to the pinnion, the only rep maker ive ever seen this get right was watchmaker 9. the hands still look good for aftermarket tho.

datewheel looks great, and not sure about the crown other than its the wrong style for the period of the watch

either way the whole watch looks really nice

Lots of dupes, between you and panerai53, I am giving credit for the bracelet. The bracelet is a mash-up of parts, so definitely not gen. GREAT Observations. There is a $2.50 Bonus for identifying all the bracelet parts used.

Hands -Tudor Submariner hands they are really genuine Rolex (Made)but made to fit an ETA movement

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: Tudor is correct!

Dial - Credit given for identifying it as non-Gen. While it looks like what NDT is carrying now, that was not my source.

Can I make a guess on your rail dial? A very good aftermarket from ingod44 i would say. Reason? Cos I'm getting one too! Hope that counts. :p

CORRECT.... it is an ingod44 dial from the bay. White, not his patina one. Oddly, it looks like NDT is selling what looks the same for 2x the price.

If you are 'viewing new', you may want to scroll to post #1 to see the status thus far. TOP

i knew it was an ingod, but only because you mentioned interest in it before, and for some reason i remembered that.

more about the hands

every gen set of hands ive seen has the hour hand lume reach the ring that fits to the pinion,

http://www.getyourwatch.com/Ebay/rolexsead-1289401370-29621.jpg

http://www.getyourwatch.com/Ebay/rolexsead-1289401381-29625.jpg

clarks: 5e_2.JPG

NOS gen: IMG_0583.jpg

which is why i thought they werent gen, which they technically arent. only on the watch maker 9 subs have i seen them exactly like the gen. clarks, yuki, WO are all incorrect, but i guess truly correct for tudor. this is true not only for the 1665 but also the 5513, and the 1680

• Like 1

I'm going to say that you're spring bars are genuine. Why - you can just see the ends of them through the case holes, and they appear to be slightly rounded, much like the genuine parts.

B)

A bit of an impossible to know for sure/trick question. Your logic is solid, but actually, I think these are the best "aftermarket" spring bars available.

Here is the answer: these are the Ofrei SWISS replacements. PN# FD-7895.

A quick word about these Ofrei Swiss -vs- Used Gen -vs- PT/Rep 2mm. -- I have a set of PT 2mm bars and they are have very weak springs. I do have a set of used Gen's, that are well, used and a little tired.

I can hold a PT bar between my thumb and forefinger and squeeze all day long. The Ofrei Swiss on the other hand will practically puncture your skin if you try to squeeze them between thumb and index finger. As for going Gen, especially 'used' gen, why bother in this case when the Swiss Ofrei's seem to be equal to Gen quality.

Thanks everyone who participated in the contest.

$51.50 has been donated to RWG.

@panerai153, since you were the highest scoring contributor YOU WIN: 1 - Stilty Datewheel Overlay Decal with silver overlay blank (for 1665, 1680, etc). PM me your mailing address.

Coming soon, for anyone that cares, I will do a separate post will all the build details consolidated for easy reading.

@panerai153, since you were the highest scoring contributor YOU WIN: 1 - Stilty Datewheel Overlay Decal with silver overlay blank (for 1665, 1680, etc). PM me your mailing address.

Coming soon, for anyone that cares, I will do a separate post will all the build details consolidated for easy reading.

:victory:

cool ! ohh and congrats - superb watch !!

cheers,

Frank

Thanks very much Ronin, This wasa great little fundraiser. It really is a handy way for folks to see what goes into making a "beyond the run of the Mill" modded rep. Helped me out, I didn't have any idea that Ofrei's springbars were so nice. Just ordered acouple of sets yesterday for my vintage Rolexes.

Have a great weekend everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats to panerai153 & great kudos to Ronin for the wonderful contribution tops :)

Can't wait to see the breakdown of your build!