When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Yuki 6241 Bezel

freddy333

A NEW KID ON THE BLOCK

I just received my Yuki 6241 bezel/insert & I have to say that it corrects all but 2 of the obvious errors on aftermarket 62xx Daytona bezels. But before I get into the specifics, here are a couple of comparison shots of the Yuki (all left/top) vs the DW (all right/bottom)

yuki6241bezel0031.jpg

yuki6241bezel0101.jpg

One Hundred Ten

The most glaring problem with most aftermarket bezels is the too-widely-spaced 1-1-0, which the Yuki gets right. Unfortunately, the fonts are printed a bit too boldly (this, for me, is not a major issue since this is difficult to see without a loupe) & the overall printing quality is not up to the standards of the DW insert

yuki6241bezel0051.jpg

UNITS PER HOUR

While many aftermarket bezels place the words 'UNITSPER' too close together, both the Yuki & DW get that correct. However, none of the aftermarket bezels (including Yuki's) get the spacing of each individual letter (or even the fonts themselves) correct, which is the 1st of its remaining (obvious) sins

yuki6241bezel0071.jpg

Not All is Hunky-Dory

The other problem with the Yuki is that, like most aftermarkets, it lacks the flat-top '4' that Rolex used on inserts from the 50s (think 6542) through the 80s. Here is a gen for comparison (note the flat-top '4', flattened 'S' & wider spacing between letters)

1zoxg6p.jpg

Yuki's plastic insert is also flush with the top of the bezel, which corrects another sin of the DW & most other aftermarket bezels

yuki6241bezel0151.jpg

yuki6241bezel0251.jpg

Here are a few wristies with the Yuki bezel, which is also correctly sized to fit snugly around a gen T21 crystal without having to either pick up a Dremel or worry that it will fall off

yuki6241bezel0311.jpg

yuki6241bezel0351.jpg

yuki6241bezel0321.jpg

THE BOTTOM LINE

Overall, because the Yuki finally gets the 110 spacing correct without introducing any other glaring problems, I think it is worth upgrading.

ADDENDUM

Not sure how I missed it, but the 7s are missing their top serif, which is almost as big a tell as the 1-1-0 was on the DW. So, yet again, 1 step forward & 1 step backward. This leaves my overall impression of the Yuki a bit less positive & turns a good bet into more of a luke warm recommendation. The scale remains tipped, slightly, in favor of the Yuki, but, now, only by a couple of hairs. :g:

I've been eagerly awaiting this comparison, so thanks for taking the time and taking the chance on this new bezel. A couple of observations:

• To my eyes, your bezel looks different from the one on Yuki's website. The one on yukiwatch.com seems to have a finer font, but the giveaway is the flat 'S' on UNITS (which actually had me reaching for my credit card!). Also, see how the 'P' on PER aligns with the 'R' on HOUR on your bezel, but not on the display model. It's an improvement over the bezel in your "I was wrong!" post from way back, but the I think the Yuki listing shows something else entirely.

• I was also surprised to see how misaligned the DW insert sat in the bezel. Maybe I'm lucky, but I have never observed that problem on my 6263, purchased last December:

1094358386_itmac-L.jpg

The other thing I like about the DW bezel is the submerged printing at the bottom of the insert, though it does seem considerably 'deeper' than on a gen. The jutting 'lip' near 130-140 is an illusion caused by the gap between plastic and metal. The insert is actually flush:

1094358419_2a7C7-L.jpg

If I'm correct, this wouldn't be the first time that Yuki has shown one thing and sold another. (In my case, the switcheroo involved a matte 1016 dial, though returning it was painless.) I would really love a closer look at the bezel they're advertising...

I know this is not the bezel displayed on Yuki's website, but I was so in love with that correctly spaced 110 that I did not correctly gauge the power of its other sins.

Your points are absolutely correct. Not only are the fonts different (especially the missing flat 'S') & some numbers located on the insert differently, but the printing is (incorrectly) on the surface of a black plastic insert instead of on the bottom of a clear plastic insert (with black paint covering the bottom). I imagine that either Yuki's suppliers changed or the factory changed its design without letting Yuki know. In any case, I have re-installed the original DW & this 1 will go back. A pity, because that obvious 1-1-0 does keep me from wearing the watch more often. :(

The Search Continues................

D. Thanks very much for this you have just saved me $218 - not that I could have got one anyway as Yuki is 'sold out'. The font is - for me not good, and the 's' not being flat outweigh the 110 spacing issue. I will build my 6263 with the standard issue DW bezel and see what the market has to offer at a later date.

Again, thanks and well done.

It's a shame he doesn't send what he is advertising, the one on his page does look promising indeed, but the fat font and "S" makes it completely undesirable for me. I just had a look at Phong's, it looks like it gets the 110 spacing and "S" issues right but the markers on it seem to be too far from the etch of the bezel and the font too thick, bummer.

Thanks for the review! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I think it needs saying that Yuki accepted the bezel back (I did pay return shipping costs) & provided a full refund without any problem. He is also trying to source more of the correct bezels (the bezel pictured on his website). The factory obviously changed the design without alerting sellers.

On the Yuki, the "110" isnt as bold as the "100" number printed beside it... They are two completely different sizes. It looks like they changed the spacing but didnt hit ctrl-b to make it bold before saving it :thumbdown:

Maybe its just the picture or angle of the insert, but it looks off.

Hopefully someone can get this right! How hard is it to scan a gen insert and make one the same? <_<

Have a look at Freddys first pic... notice the 100 is bigger and thicker than the 110.

yuki6241bezel0031.jpg

:black_eye: