When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Product review: eBay AR'ed cyclops crystal

sneed12

Just got one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Swiss-Sapphire-Crystal-Gasket-fit-Rolex-Watch-NEW-/200507384326?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item746ab086b1

last night. Allegedly, it's supposed to have a cyclops with AR. Look at the photos on the listing:

sapphire4rolex.jpg

I installed it in my GMT IIc last night. It was a direct replacement for the Noobfactory crystal, although the gaskets that came with the aftermarket crystal did not fit and I had to re-use the gasket that was already in the watch.

In short, don't bother. There definitely IS AR on the crystal, you can tell if you look closely witha loupe. But it doesn't have anything like the effect that the gen does. In fact in regular use you can barely tell. I don't have pics yet because when I was trying to take pics last night, I wasn't able to get a single one that showed the effect of the AR. I'll try again tonight.

I don't feel like I was ripped off; it's still a pretty nice sapphire crystal for $20 shipped. That's not a bad deal if you think about it. But it does not have the AR effect I was after. Oh well.

How much is a gen anyway and where can I find one?

Retail when I got mine was about $95 & the only source is Rolex or a Rolex watchmaker with a parts account (Rolex does not sell parts directly to the public). Mine came from a friend as a 1-time favor.

Is the Gen a direct replacement for the noobfactory crystals?

My CHS GMTIIC was part of the initial run from Josh a year or 2 ago & fitting a gen xtal was a gamble since no one had previously attempted it. Fortunately, (with the exception of the gen xtal gasket) the xtal fit perfectly (but I did have to reuse the rep gasket - there are a couple of threads detailing my experience that you can search out).

I have no idea whether the noobfactory reps accept gen parts. So, if you can source the xtal, you might have to bite the bullet & throw the dice as I did.

Hello friends. I have bought a glass of this and certainly the AR is almost negligible. But I also buy a cyclop here in the forum that was made with AR. I've taken everything the watchmaker to replace the glass cyclop by having AR and install it all on the clock. When you have finished work will try to post photos so you can see the result.

A greeting.

With just make it a little better, I'll be happy. Since cyclop and glass are not as expensive, if they improve the clock and all I need.

Escuchar

Leer fonéticamente

As someone mentioned already, the way to achieve the gen look more easily is to coat the entire underside of the crystal, and both sides of the cyclops. With the top side of the crystal uncoated, you're going to achieve the exact same look as the gen: lots of reflection off the crystal surface, with a clear cyclops over the date. The AR under the cyclops only on the Rolex crystal is slick, but totally unnecessary.

As someone mentioned already, the way to achieve the gen look more easily is to coat the entire underside of the crystal, and both sides of the cyclops. With the top side of the crystal uncoated, you're going to achieve the exact same look as the gen: lots of reflection off the crystal surface, with a clear cyclops over the date. The AR under the cyclops only on the Rolex crystal is slick, but totally unnecessary.

Chieff, you get AR coating to the glass, right? I have a glass without a Rolex cyclop if I send it to you, would give an AR coating?

Nice Tip Chieftang!

thank you! :victory:

Do you got idea about who to solve A/R problem with a GEN crystal too?

I suppose that is not possible to get out the cyclope there.

I got some GEN crystals around, and would like the A/R effect on Cyclope, GMT II-C like.

Nice Tip Chieftang!

thank you! :victory:

Do you got idea about who to solve A/R problem with a GEN crystal too?

I suppose that is not possible to get out the cyclope there.

I got some GEN crystals around, and would like the A/R effect on Cyclope, GMT II-C like.

I've never tried to remove a cyclops from a gen crystal. But if it is attached with crystal cement, then you can remove it by the same method as the rep. If it is a one piece crystal/cyclops combo (which I doubt) then we're not going to be able to create the same look as the gen GMT IIC.