When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Never trust the AD

mastrmindalliance

This is about pressure testing.

I took my newly acquired gen Slevin into one of the local IWC Authorised dealers (Hardy Brothers for any Aussies reading) to have it pressure tested as it's second hand.

They began the test at 50atm's and it failed instantly at the top pusher. I even saw with my own eyes a rapid stream of tiny bubbles rising from the pusher. They failed it and asked if I wanted a service. Because I know how efficient Richemont are in SG, I refused the 4-6weeks to have Hardy Bros send it away and decided to take it Richemont myself. While there I waited for only 40mins while sexy girls brought me ice cold drinks.

Richemont certified the watch to be testing at spec (120atms) and doubled checked it for me after I produced the AD's pressure test report. I didn't see the machine Richemont were using but saw the one at the AD's. The Ad's looked very technical to me with purple coloured fluid in it (Nothing like the 100atms mall tester). However, Richemont said the machine Hardy Bros were using is incapable of testing this watch correctly. Richemont charged me exactly $0.00 for this, the AD charged me $55. I will be taking Richemont's certificate in to get my money back.

I'm sure many of the more technically minded peeps here would know exactly why this happened, but figured people with similar low levels of 'knowledge' as me may benefit from hearing this.

I guess the point is; if you can't even trust the AD's machine, and or technician's judgment, to test correctly, you probably shouldn't trust the mall job either.

The thread is titled part one in case i can be arsed telling the story of my Moonwatch's four continent world tour to fix a loose chrono hand.

(Oh and Mj if you're reading, the watch pressure tested to spec and is keeping -5secs a day. Very happy :thumbsupsmileyanim: )

I think a lot of ADs are hurting (internet and economy) and are in the same boat as car dealers to a degree. They need to make money somehow and a little fib to them isn't a big deal. They dont know when the watch was last serviced so they "error" on the side of caution. That might be one rational.

Incompetence plays a big part from what I have seen. On three separate trips to three different AD’s I have run into sales people who has no idea what they were talking about. the only one who would admit it was at the Rolex AD, and she went and got the watchmaker who spent 15 to 20 minutes answering my questions. I was very impressed with the Rolex people, but the prices for used items was ridiculous.

Can only agree with IronTom!! I cant think of any ADs I would trust with any work or objective advice !!

I am sure the good ones are out there just never been lucky enough to walk into one !! ;)

I had an AD once charge me €20 for a Breitling springbar.....go figure.

Mate If I was an AD and you came into my shop I would charge you 30 euros!! So you got off lightly ;) ;) :)

Than I would tell you the same I told the AD, and it wasn't pretty ;):lol:

With that avatar pretty would not be something I would expect from you :) :) ;)

First, since I'm a diver and I have OCD I have to correct mastrmindalliance. You probably meant 12ATM for the Slevin and that the watch failed at 5ATM at the AD. Underwater 1 ATM = 10m.

Above 10ATM the usual is to use dry tests first for water resistance. I'm not sure what Richemont did but if you have a certificate you should be protected.

If the watch failed at 5ATM in a wet test (you mentioned a steady stream of bubbles) it's improbable it would pass a 12ATM without any changes. Maybe the Richemont's folks greased some gaskets to stop the leak.

It's normal for an AD to charge around $50 for the water pressure test but to offer a service to fix a gasket leak is a rip off.

On the Richemont's comment that the AD did not have the right equipment they were probably talking about the inability for the AD to test the watch at 12ATM (per specs). The AD probably can only go up to 10ATM.

First, since I'm a diver and I have OCD I have to correct mastrmindalliance. You probably meant 12ATM for the Slevin and that the watch failed at 5ATM at the AD. Underwater 1 ATM = 10m.

Above 10ATM the usual is to use dry tests first for water resistance. I'm not sure what Richemont did but if you have a certificate you should be protected.

If the watch failed at 5ATM in a wet test (you mentioned a steady stream of bubbles) it's improbable it would pass a 12ATM without any changes. Maybe the Richemont's folks greased some gaskets to stop the leak.

It's normal for an AD to charge around $50 for the water pressure test but to offer a service to fix a gasket leak is a rip off.

On the Richemont's comment that the AD did not have the right equipment they were probably talking about the inability for the AD to test the watch at 12ATM (per specs). The AD probably can only go up to 10ATM.

You're right, I was confusing the values for ATM's with Metres as i posted (i do know the correct terms, just typos). But everything else is correct to my knowledge.

I was told specifically by Richemont that no work whatsoever was required and assumed this meant no gaskets were greased and the watch case wasn't even opened.

The AD said they were capable of testing to 20ATM's and just began the testing procedure at 5Atm's, informing me that it failed and not testing any further.

I take it to mean that inexperienced judgement of a pressure machine test is useless and people using mall repair especially should be wary of results (good or bad) if even the AD's level competence is subpar.

post-23858-0-98684800-1290470226.jpg

hmm I don't know. If I put a watch inside a wet pressure chamber and I see a stream of bubbles at 5 ATM I'd be concerned.

The receipt from Richmond doesn't specify what the generic service or which check was performed. If the watch fails at 50m that document doesn't say it was tested for water resistance or which method was used.

I'm skeptical of Richmond on that one.

The receipt from Richmond doesn't specify what the generic service or which check was performed.

This is called a "Valuation". It includes pressure test, timing test and (I've got to assume heh) verification of authenticity. All these details are recorded on my customer account.

Better be accurate 'cos we went diving the next day :D

:)

Yep Mj :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Back in Aus now, was just a four day visit for mostly work (but some GF). Heading back mid/late Dec if you're nearby I'll buy you that beer. May even head north for couple days ;).

As usual like a good roman, I ate well and did some shopping hehe.

Going to have Richemont refinish the Slevin while there. Have kept one link brand new to compare finishes.