When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Teach me about my new purchase - part II

dadog13

Hello guys!

I have just purchased this beauty :

• This is the description from the seller :
    • Case: Josh 1655 Case with drilled lugs
    • Crown and Tube: Genuine Rolex 24-600-0 crown and 24-602-0 tube.
    • Dial: Ingod44 aftermarket Mark II-ish dial with nice frog's foot coronet and great fonts. One of the better aftermarket dials I've seen.
    • Hands: Stick second hand, Gen Omega Flightmaster Hour and Minute hands and an "aged" GMT hand taken from the Josh source.
    • Plexi: Genuine Cyclope 116 Plexi
    • Bezel: The bezel installed on the watch is a Yuki bezel. In my opinion, much better fonts (especially on the 4's) than the Josh bezel and has a nice polished chamfer around in the edge nearer to gen. I'm also including the Josh bezel if you wish to go back.
    • Bracelet: Folded 7836.
    • Spring Bars: Gen 2mm springbars.

Now a couple of picture (I sincerely hope fw doesn't mind me using his pictures..)

DSCN0790.jpg

DSCN0800.jpg

The only glaring thing I see is the non-matching lume on the hands. You got a great deal, but if it needs a new movement you may have a bit of trouble trying to locate an A2836 GMT. I've been half heartedly trying to locate one for a project and theyre difficult to come by.

The only glaring thing I see is the non-matching lume on the hands. You got a great deal, but if it needs a new movement you may have a bit of trouble trying to locate an A2836 GMT. I've been half heartedly trying to locate one for a project and theyre difficult to come by.

They're readily available--in complete watches from dealers. Kind of expensive for a project though.

I have a set of the parts needed to convert a 2836 to GMT in my parts box, if you're interested PM me. Came off of a 2836-2 GMT IIc rep.

All you need is the gear for the 4th hand, the gear that drives the datewheel (which interfaces with the 4th hand) the datewheel jumper spring cover with the notch in it (you can modify your existing part really easily, three seconds with a file is all it takes) and optionally, you need the wheel that interfaces with the date adjustment mechanism (I think that part is called the double corrector) in order to let you independently adjust the GMT hand.

The donor GMT movement needs to have high enough hand stack to let you install the hour hand after the GMT wheel is installed around it.

Jeez, how did I miss this one? It's a great project with amazing parts. You'll find a movement soon enough.

And relume the dial to match the hands, rather than the other way 'round. OEM Omega lume is fantastic stuff.

EDIT: On second thought, lose the Omega lume. I'd forgotten about its greenish tinge, which just looks wrong on a Rolex.

Jeez, how did I miss this one? It's a great project with amazing parts. You'll find a movement soon enough.

And relume the dial to match the hands, rather than the other way 'round. OEM Omega lume is fantastic stuff.

EDIT: On second thought, lose the Omega lume. I'd forgotten about its greenish tinge, which just looks wrong on a Rolex.

so, should I lume the hands the vintage way?! (I am a huge sucker for the tritium color of the lume :whistling:)

well, I am eagerly waiting for this one to arrive, to fix it and enjoy it's beauty..

so, should I lume the hands the vintage way?! (I am a huge sucker for the tritium color of the lume :whistling:)

I had the guys at watchlume whip up a vial of "ingod44 yellow" powder. It worked great for the hands on my Space-Dweller, and served me well in other vintage projects like my Tudor Home Plate.