When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Media Picks Up Sub Story

freddy333

It appears that the wider media has now picked up the story about the rare Sub that recently sold on ebay. 

(For the 2 of you who missed the story, click the pic to read it)

I first read about it here on RWG and followed the link to see it myself. I stayed with the thread and I don't recall a single member here who was not rooting for the guy. No one here questioned the authenticity of the watch or the story. Just about everyone was concerned that someone might cheat him, and at least one here gave the man advice on protecting himself from scam artists. 

I read on other rep forums a number of people who said the watch was a fake, the story was a fake, and/or the doctor was a fake. It seemed to me that once one poster called it a scam, others came in agreeing with their "vintage watch expertise".

To me, that says a lot about the people here. And the knowledge here.  

Wow, what a cool story! But something about it seems fishy... The old guy seems like the real deal, though! But what's with that US riveted bracelet? And such crappy pictures! And how does he know how to use eBay but not Google? Bloody dealers trying to lowball him... But you can't blame them for trying to be careful. Doesn't give them an excuse to lie, though. And so many withdrawn bids on the last day! But the price sure made a comeback in the final minutes! Now the story's on Hodinkee. And now it's even on Yahoo! News. Implication seems to be that it sold for so much because of the James Bond and Christopher Reeve connections. That explains it!

Experts say a good story is worthless. Apparently, it is. But it would be worth more if it had the right bracelet. What a load of hype... But what a heartwarming tale!

I remember this when it first appeared on Ebay but the last I heard on the gen forums ....it was removed as soon as the guy was inundated with messages etc.

I then heard someone from the Vintage Rolex forums bought it direct from the guy...I wasnt aware this went back up on eBay???

This was the one with the missing bezel or am I confusing it with another one !!!