When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My WM9 finally arrived!

takosan

My understanding was George and MBW all use the Tiawan source for their Subs.... If thats the case surely just buying these direct will give you the project base rather then paying or rather trying to find the MBW or WM versions.

Taiwan is my guess, although the chap that runs the MBK shop has personally told me a different story about their origin, not sure i believe it. but to be honest ive never seen mbk cases any where else, even the cartel dont sell them "POLFY" "POLEX" seem to only come from one place, and the factory is his closely guarded secret, ive tried to pry but to no avail.

I was wondering if anyone of you guys know where to get just the case set of the MBW/MBK or Supreme or wm9 v1 (whatever)? Maybe we can order together and a larger amount. But i would be happy if I could get at least 1 or 2 casesets.

@highoeyazmuhudee, can I join your order for MBWv4 ?

it seems the PT is made to order with an ETA of one month, im not sure what a large order would accomplish.

i have no idea if MBK even has 16610 cases any more, my guess would be yes, there is currently no order pool, but i will find out for you in Feb if v4 cases are even available , knowledge is power ;)

@R_Squared

i believe the MBKs had such good dials because eurotimez retrofit replacement noob dials as a part of his standard 'euromariner' product, but ive heard the stock MBK 16610 are garbage. the wm9v1 Zubmariner dial was always too faintly printed for my liking. BKs v2 dial was excellent, hell -even the noobmariner dial is outstanding and cheap to replace!

@R_Squared

i believe the MBKs had such good dials because eurotimez retrofit replacement noob dials as a part of his standard 'euromariner' product, but ive heard the stock MBK 16610 are garbage. the wm9v1 Zubmariner dial was always too faintly printed for my liking. BKs v2 dial was excellent, hell -even the noobmariner dial is outstanding and cheap to replace!

Correctomundo! MBW/MBK original dials are a crap shoot. The noob dials that eurotimez uses are much much better and has stronger lume than the regular noob dials. That is the one I used in my WM9 Hybrid above. I call it the MBW-Euromariner V4 noob dials. Not sure what else you would have called it! Agree that is the BEST rep dial for F series sub builds. :)

The rep flat S (WM9 V1 dials) are supposed to have faint dial fonts just like the gen version that I have. The WM9 V2/3 dials are perfect for Z serial builds. ;)

Edited by R_Squared

I will get some pics of the SEL fit on my V2 and post them. I know the crappy fit exists as I've seen many pics to substantiate it but I gotta say I must have gotten lucky on my v2 as I'm pretty particular in wanting the Best possible looking fit and for the life of me I can't see anything wrong with the way this particular one fits.

Last night i remove the bezel because some members ask me to see if the watch has wm9 constraction.It was very easy to pop it up but very hard to put it back! Now the bezel doasnt work as it was, it is hard to turn and feels very stiff! Its impossible to turn it with two fingers, it needs three fingrers to turn it.My heart is broken! What am i done wrong? HELP PLEASE!

post-30015-0-91604200-1293001620.jpg

Yeah i dont see how anyone can get WM9 v1 cases. Are there really that many laying around? I doubt it especially if these watches are made to order. I agree that its not a WM9 but a Taiwan or TW best case. I have a MBW16610 case that was modded long before Euro offered his Euromariners. Mine is a modded 16610 case with noobmariner dial and Noob hollowlink with gen clasp. The endlinks suck but i dont really care. Not sure what bezel insert it has, i cant remember which one it is. Im pretty much into vintage Rolex and nothing else these days. I havent even worn my 16610 in at least a year so Im not really up to date with all this WM9 stuff.

Last night i remove the bezel because some members ask me to see if the watch has wm9 constraction.It was very easy to pop it up but very hard to put it back! Now the bezel doasnt work as it was, it is hard to turn and feels very stiff! Its impossible to turn it with two fingers, it needs three fingrers to turn it.My heart is broken! What am i done wrong? HELP PLEASE!

good news is it appears to have a gen like construction.

as for fitting it back originally make sure the click spring isnt jamming it up and the washer is in correctly and not warped. when you reinstalled it did it snap back on with a confirming click or no?

Be certain the click spring is in the case hole and resting in the groove in the retaining ring.

What I do is once the click spring is is place is lay the bezel insert down and place the flat tension washer in the bezel.

Then pick up the watch, hold it in the vertical position with just enough of a tilt back to keep the click spring from falling.

Looking at it from the side, pick up the bezel and place it on the watch making certain the washer sits onthe case UNDER the click spring.

When it goes under the spring, use my thumb to push the bezel down to the case. That keeps the washer and click spring in place.

Holding it with a thumb at 12 position I use the other thumb to push the bezel down at 6 position.

Push down at 9 position and when the final push is at the 3 position....CLICK...it snaps to the retaining ring.

Works for me eveytime.

It sounds

It sounds to me like either your flat washer is in a bind or most likely your click spring fell out of position.

Keep in mind that once the bezel "snaps" to the retaining ring, your click spring isn't comming out even if it's out of position, unless it pushes your insert out and flies out that way. (which you don't want to happn.)

GREAT news to hear it's a gen like construction where the bezel assembly is concerned.

I hope this helps you, my friend.

DR

I have a MBW16610 case that was modded long before Euro offered his Euromariners. Mine is a modded 16610 case with noobmariner dial and Noob hollowlink with gen clasp. The endlinks suck but i dont really care. Not sure what bezel insert it has, i cant remember which one it is. Im pretty much into vintage Rolex and nothing else these days. I havent even worn my 16610 in at least a year so Im not really up to date with all this WM9 stuff.

Your MBW 16610 is probably the same one as my old school MBW black sub above. Its dated way before the euromariners came out. Love the old school MBW case eventhough it doesn't have gen bezel construction like the WM9's. The bezel shape on these old school MBW subs are the best rep sub bezels out there and almost like the gen shape/cuts. The inner rehaut depth is also very gen-like but just a wee bit deeper than the WM9 versions. Overall not a bad looking rep sub (almost comparable to WM9 subs) if it is properly modded like mine.

Edited by R_Squared

Hmmm...this sub looks like the sub I just got. I'm having my watchsmith assemble my first batch of them at the moment. The first batch will have 20 of them installed with my leftover wm9 black dials and hands. These 20 are for returned customers, by invitation only. The rest is stock, except I will trim the CGs and apply a epoxy coat on the pearl. Here's what I think:

Things better on this sub:

- rehaut top edge is smooth. The v3's is rough. I always have to polish it

- the bezel teeth are much better (longer) than v3's, about on par with the 2nd version of the v2's.

- area where the case tube hole is drilled isn't recessed so deep as that of the v3, so much like the v2's

- better SEL fit

- perfect rehaut engraving alignment

- better rehaut engraving font than v3's, about the same as v2's

- diver's extension that doesn't pop out easily

- excellent crystal. I'm most impressed about this. The top edge is rounded like gen's which is what I'm extremely happy about. And the cyclop has higher mag which I believe matches gen's. Even though the etched crown is still loud, I take this crystal even over Clark's.

- correct date font and size like the last version of v3's dw overlay, better than earlier versions of v2's and v3's

Things better on the wm9 v2 and v3:

- no doubt it's the superlumed dial, hands, and pearl

- higher/correct crown position on the v3. v2's about the same as this one's

- correct CGs, no trimming required

- correct hollow mid links on the bracelet (solid on this other sub)

bk

Edited by bklm1234

BTW, this is not a wm9. Not v1, not v2 nor v3. wm9 v1 was never offered in M serial. BUT v1 wasn't so much a pure wm9 effort. I believe George at that time was working together with this factory. It's the v2 when George had the passion to get rid of all the flaws wm9 sub became an exclusive watch to the wm9 factory. So the wm9 v1 components and molds are available to this other Taiwan factory. This sub has the same genes as the wm9 v1. The dial, the case, the bracelet, etc. are all from the v1 era. It's just not a wm9. George doesn't make this watch. Unlike wm9 subs, this watch is in production, being made as we speak.

bk

Edited by bklm1234

Your MBW 16610 is probably the same one as my old school MBW black sub above. Its dated way before the euromariners came out. Love the old school MBW case eventhough it doesn't have gen bezel construction like the WM9's. The bezel shape on these old school MBW subs are the best rep sub bezels out there and almost like the gen shape/cuts. The inner rehaut depth is also very gen-like but just a wee bit deeper than the WM9 versions. Overall not a bad looking rep sub (almost comparable to WM9 subs) if it is properly modded like mine.

Yes mine is old. Its one of the orig MBW16610 models. Mine is also modded, and even during all the past WM9 hype, I couldnt find a reason to replace it.

Hmmm...this sub looks like the sub I just got. I'm having my watchsmith assemble my first batch of them at the moment. The first batch will have 20 of them installed with my leftover wm9 black dials and hands. These 20 are for returned customers, by invitation only. The rest is stock, except I will trim the CGs and apply a epoxy coat on the pearl. Here's what I think:

Things better on this sub:

- rehaut top edge is smooth. The v3's is rough. I always have to polish it

- the bezel teeth are much better (longer) than v3's, about on par with the 2nd version of the v2's.

- area where the case tube hole is drilled isn't recessed so deep as that of the v3, so much like the v2's

- better SEL fit

- perfect rehaut engraving alignment

- better rehaut engraving font than v3's, about the same as v2's

- diver's extension that doesn't pop out easily

- excellent crystal. I'm most impressed about this. The top edge is rounded like gen's which is what I'm extremely happy about. And the cyclop has higher mag which I believe matches gen's. Even though the etched crown is still loud, I take this crystal even over Clark's.

- correct date font and size like the last version of v3's dw overlay, better than earlier versions of v2's and v3's

Things better on the wm9 v2 and v3:

- no doubt it's the superlumed dial, hands, and pearl

- higher/correct crown position on the v3. v2's about the same as this one's

- correct CGs, no trimming required

- correct hollow mid links on the bracelet (solid on this other sub)

bk

BTW, this is not a wm9. Not v1, not v2 nor v3. wm9 v1 was never offered in M serial. BUT v1 wasn't so much a pure wm9 effort. I believe George at that time was working together with this factory. It's the v2 when George had the passion to get rid of all the flaws wm9 sub became an exclusive watch to the wm9 factory. So the wm9 v1 components and molds are available to this other Taiwan factory. This sub has the same genes as the wm9 v1. The dial, the case, the bracelet, etc. are all from the v1 era. It's just not a wm9. George doesn't make this watch. Unlike wm9 subs, this watch is in production, being made as we speak.

bk

Well, the master has spoken. Pretty much consistent with my observations as well. :D

I am also very impressed with this caseset, whether its called the WM9 V1 or MBW/Euromariner V4 or TW caseset. Glad I used this caseset to build my F series 16610 LV which also happens to be enhanced by BK himself including his CG mod & latest datewheel overlay which looks perfect to me. Glad to see it is being made again ... Woohoo! :)

Edited by R_Squared

Yes mine is old. Its one of the orig MBW16610 models. Mine is also modded, and even during all the past WM9 hype, I couldnt find a reason to replace it.

Definitely agree with you there! I bought all the different rep sub out there just so I can compare and find out what the fuss was. Even after all the different WM9 versions being made, I still find it hard to get rid of this one. All it needs is just a slightly better insert and I'm done. It has all the modern upgrades you can think of, modded by sub experts BK/Tribal (CG only) and the pearl is GEN. :)

This is definetely a WM9 version 1 watch.

The original "Super Sub". I don't know who produced it but it sure was the same one George used to sell.

No one remembers my review of it? :shock:

v1 had the best SELs ever made... I have v1 SELs on my v2 Sub. That's the best combo there is.

This is definetely a WM9 version 1 watch.

The original "Super Sub".

No one remembers my review of it? :shock:

:lol:

I was waiting for you to chime in for a while since you are also a big fan of the WM9 V1/V2 casesets. :D

I love my WM9 Hybrid LV with the V1 caseset coupled to a new MBW hollow mid-link bracelet/V2 clasp:

PC120193.jpg

PC120194.jpg

PC120196.jpg

:)

Edited by R_Squared

are those the stock CGs?

Nope. BK did his magic on the CG and reshape it nicely ... :D

My preference is to have the stock CG's and then have it reworked by hand. While I like the idea of already nice CG lugs on the WM9 V2 or V3, most of the ones I have seen are either mis-shapen or one side is thicker than the other, so no thanks ...