When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why is it new watches don't have the same appeal?

redwatch

So, I was just checking out random posts here and there this morning and I started thinking about all the watches that have come and gone in my short history here. I have had quite a few watches that I let go and I started to realize that apparently I am just not that into new watches.

I got the last of the noob GMT's from BK and sold it less than a month later. I was literally afraid to wear it for fear of scratching it. Funny thing is, I will wear my Tudor every single day, regardless of the fact that it cost my 4 times as much to build as it did for the GMT. I have dinged it, scratched it, dropped it, and it just gets that much better looking.

(Ok Bob, I know you love those beat up old watches too!)

Anyways, I was just curious and thought I'd pose the question to the community. What exactly is it about the vintage beat up old watches that have so much more appeal?

I have had my Tudor for around a year and a half now, and it's like a second skin for me. I wear it all the time, and yet when I look down at it, a smile comes to my face each and every time and I just can't stop looking at it.

Thoughts?

For me personally when it comes to wearing one.... the simple answer is "They dont"

I really like to look at them, appreciate them and see the evolution of them to current watches of the same brand...

I tried with a few vintage PAMs but I just didnt like wearing them but I really like looking at them !!

The history of a watch or brand really interests me the way the models or makers evolved to met new technology or fashion etc interests me but wearing them??? No!!.....

I have no idea why to be honest as my thinking doesnt I think equate but thats just me ;)

Being a new watch doesnt bother me from a beater point of view, I wear it, if it gets damaged and I was too stupid to take it off then I live with it but it doesnt bother me that I might :)

I was literally afraid to wear it for fear of scratching it. Funny thing is, I will wear my Tudor every single day, regardless of the fact that it cost my 4 times as much to build as it did for the GMT. I have dinged it, scratched it, dropped it, and it just gets that much better looking.

I feel the same with my 1680

Classic pieces are timeless & remain relevant forever.

Valid point Freddy, but the GMT was somewhat of a classic piece (if you can call a 16710 classic) and yet it was too new and too shiny. And because I spent the extra money on the gen insert, I didn't want to scratch it so I didn't wear it. I should have stuck with the rep insert and beat it up I guess.

Nostalgia. It's one of many ways to stay connected with the past. It was a different time, and most people think they would prefer to live in a snapshot of that era indefinitely.

How many face to face interactions do we have nowdays? How many meaningful discussions? That sort of thing has turned into forums and instant messaging and texting. It's become a rare event to sit with a close friend and spend quality, meaningful time.

So we hearken back to fond memories of those days with vintage pens, vintage cars, vintage watches, vintage clothing... heck some even go so far as to personalize it in their body. I understand TwoTone has vintage KNEES. :o

Nostalgia. It's one of many ways to stay connected with the past. It was a different time, and most people think they would prefer to live in a snapshot of that era indefinitely.

How many face to face interactions do we have nowdays? How many meaningful discussions? That sort of thing has turned into forums and instant messaging and texting. It's become a rare event to sit with a close friend and spend quality, meaningful time.

So we hearken back to fond memories of those days with vintage pens, vintage cars, vintage watches, vintage clothing... heck some even go so far as to personalize it in their body. I understand TwoTone has vintage KNEES. :o

If thats true I need to find my flairs !! :)

Valid point Freddy, but the GMT was somewhat of a classic piece (if you can call a 16710 classic) and yet it was too new and too shiny. And because I spent the extra money on the gen insert, I didn't want to scratch it so I didn't wear it. I should have stuck with the rep insert and beat it up I guess.

Roger that. I have an appointment in January to meet with an old watchmaker friend and finally mount a vintage superdome tropic 39 on my SD, and get it pressure tested.

But I'm really struggling with the decision. The crystal on it now is not the period correct piece, but each gouge and scrape was acquired the hard way, while it was working as a tool watch.

I'd rather have a legitimate beat up old crystal than a legitimate sparkling new (old) Superdome.

Roger that. I have an appointment in January to meet with an old watchmaker friend and finally mount a vintage superdome tropic 39 on my SD, and get it pressure tested.

But I'm really struggling with the decision. The crystal on it now is not the period correct piece, but each gouge and scrape was acquired the hard way, while it was working as a tool watch.

I'd rather have a legitimate beat up old crystal than a legitimate sparkling new (old) Superdome.

Would a gen owner do that?

Or are these models different like antiques...you know when they say dont polish it etc If so how would you affect the value - significantly?

If I had a gen watch from new that had a bad scratched crystal I would replace it like I would the windscreen on my car...

the GMT was somewhat of a classic piece (if you can call a 16710 classic) and yet it was too new and too shiny. And because I spent the extra money on the gen insert, I didn't want to scratch it so I didn't wear it.

That is a somewhat different issue (not wanting to mar a polished finish). Unfortunately, Rolex has decided to pump-up the bling factor in recent years, a move that leaves many of their long-time customers cold. I love my modern Daytonas & GMTIIC, but they see relatively little wrist time due to my reluctance to scar (or be overshadowed by) my watch.

For years, I absolutely lusted after a 116520. But, once I finished constructing a believable franken, I found it an (emotionally) uncomfortable watch to wear out in public. While I have no plans to sell it (for those of you about to hit your PM button), it kind of gives me that I-hope-no-one-saw-that feeling every time my cuff rides up to reveal its over-polished presence. It is very similar to the feeling I had every time I rode in a friend's Hummer (which, thank goodness, he finally sold last year). Kind of like being the only guy to show up at a black tie event wearing a bright red fez.

lrgscaleimages_stock_esellerpro_99782.jpg

On 2nd thought, a blingy watch is even worse than a fez. :animal_rooster:

Would a gen owner do that?

Or are these models different like antiques...you know when they say dont polish it etc If so how would you affect the value - significantly?

If I had a gen watch from new that had a bad scratched crystal I would replace it like I would the windscreen on my car...

It depends on the owner. Some people demand absolute from-factory perfection so they would demand the Superdome T39 be installed to make it "correct". They would absolutely remove/replace the "wrong" crystal it wears but they wouldn't want to polish the case for fear of removing metal.

To others, it's more important to preserve the way it expresses the life it's lived. And if it's waterproof... BONUS!

So does this one stay the same, or get a new crystal?

dr_wabi.jpg

I agree with the above so, I won't restate that. However, a couple more reasons that I believe contributes to this new -vs- old, or should I say modern -vs- vintage is this.

Modern watches feel like they are exercises in "Marketing". The new bigger, blingier Rolex's and Breitlings have the feel of being designed from the Outside-In. Contrast that with the original Submariners and Navitimers where the function and design trumped looks and even marketability (Original Daytnona's). In the end the looks did work out and we love those watches today. They are simply more organic. Inside-Out design.

As far as beat up, I actually do prefer the "recently serviced vintage look", but am open to the beater look as well.

I think this also applies to old cars. There is something special about slipping into something like an old Porsche 356 -vs- its modern counterpart. The smells, the materials used at the time, etc....

So does this one stay the same, or get a new crystal?

dr_wabi.jpg

When the wear begins to inhibit your ability to clearly see the dial, I would either have it polished or replaced (with either a gen T39 or, better yet, Clark's, which, being newly manufactured, should guarantee stability & water-tightness).

To polish - start with a fine grade of wet sandpaper (wetting the crystal before sanding). Once the deepest scoring has been removed, use any commercially available plastic polish & a soft terry cloth cloth or Viva paper towel to return it to crystal clarity. The whole operation should take no more than about 20 minutes. I always have great results using Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0 Fine Scratch & Blemish Remover, finishing with Meguiar's PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish (available at many automotive parts stores or online from meguiars.com)

post-3175-0-57122500-1292883017.jpg

To polish - start with a fine grade of wet sandpaper (wetting the crystal before sanding). Once the deepest scoring has been removed, use any commercially available plastic polish & a soft terry cloth cloth or Viva paper towel to return it to crystal clarity. The whole operation should take no more than about 20 minutes. I always have great results using Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0 Fine Scratch & Blemish Remover, finishing with Meguiar's PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish (available at many automotive parts stores or online from meguiars.com).

Great info, Freddy. I just use Arm&Hammer Whitening toothpaste and my thumb, followed by a brisk rub on my shirtsleeve.