When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New 214 on perfect clones

RickHiC

If they are as good as the 288 it will be great, I think the additional button add a little mystery to the watch,

the 214

01092a35a011eb1133872264cb56d82f.image.800x532.jpg

the 288

a57d5c0bf51e0b1d80cfb82448465911.image.800x532.jpg

So the Chonograph text is replaced with Rattrapante which is way more interesting, but the biggest difference is the lack of the chapter rings which I think makes the 214 dial better, giving it a much cleaner smoother look .

The Gen though seems to have a brown strap with red stitching , and though the straps on these are supposed to be great you may want to complete the look with some red stitches,

I'd get the 214 if I had some $

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Just a quick iPhone update.

Today I received my 214. From all of the reps I've owned over the years, this is the first out of the box rep which gives me a true gen impression.

The lume is easy to charge and shines like a torch for the first few minutes. Then it decays rather fast, but lasts the whole night at a modest level. Not bad for rep AR, but Ziggmeister AR shines a bit brighter during the night.

The build quality of the case and the sharpness of the dial are extremely good and gen-like.

I can also really recommend the more expensive gator strap. It's definitely worth the extra money.

The only thing I'm not sure of is the AR. I cannot compare it with a gen. But when I compare it to single AR from Jakub, it looks like the 214 has no AR at all. I see a lot of glare and under no light conditions even a slight colored hue shows up as an indicator of AR being applied. This might be the only modification this rep needs.

Edit: I went to an AD today and could compare the rep AR with the gen displayed in the window. Looks gen enough for me, so no mods needed :)

Personally, I don't mind that the Ratrappante is non functional. Few people know what it is and how it works. And cosmetically it looks like it's there.

post-4081-0-04149000-1297783257.jpg

post-4081-0-89107100-1297783308.jpg

post-4081-0-71519700-1297783368.jpg

Edited by scoobs1971

Nice. What do you plan to tell someone who asks -"Hey, what does that weird located button do, can you show me?"

If someone tries to push a button on my watch, I punch them in the face.

I guess if they were just asking, I could make up a fun story. "That button? Oh, that fires the laser. It's a James Bond watch."

Nice. What do you plan to tell someone who asks -"Hey, what does that weird located button do, can you show me?"

No one has ever wanted to touch my watch - let alone try a button. And if they ask I tell it's a non functional button that saves me about E 8.000,- :) I'm not trying to fool anybody. This is my grail watch and I bought it for myself.

Totally agree mate...no one has ever asked me about my chrono buttons or dials or date pushers etc so I have no concerns either with a faux pusher.... I have the new 286 and I am happy to wear it regardless :thumbsupsmileyanim:

People have asked me about buttons. It is only a question of time before someone will do it to you.

They do so out of genuine interest, not to call you out. - But having such a silly thing is fakey-fakey.

There are fantasy watches which are far more convincing than this one.

Go for the 288 instead.

Now thats just a bridge to far mate ;)

As for being asked all I can say is given the time I have never been asked against the time I probably have left then time is running out for that!!

I have no problem with fantasy watches if they are well done. Functionality, detailing and above all plausibility makes a good rep.

We on this forum are amongst the infinitely small percentage of the world who know and care about the detailing of each and every model.

The placement of a dial is completely insignificant compared to a watch claiming to be a rattrapante when it is not. It is as bad as claiming to be an automatic when it is a quartz.

A non-rattrapante claiming to be one, complete with a non-functional button is pretty likely to be called out. A good fantasy is not.

Edited by mbjoer

A fantasy watch, good or not is a bad rep.

The fact this watch is a good rep by definition makes it better than a fantasy. Where it lacks is in functionality not appearance but that argument can be made on several complications that are copied.

To spot the 286 is not a rattrapante you need to ask assuming you know what that means and if you do then all you have to do to spot a fantasy is look at it from a distance without ever having to approach the owner.

No matter how you dress it up the chances of being asked are minimal the chance that that person when asking and if asking will know what it's suppose to do are even less likely...

I could not edit my previous post but having reread what I wrote I would add.... for me personally I never pretend my reps are anything but that.... even though I have never been called out, I always state the watch is a rep when I recieve compliments..I have gens in equal measure so I really have no hang up about stating whether its rep or not..

If you are trying to fool people then IMHO you deserve to get called out ;)

Of course as with everything we discuss on this forum it all comes down to your own personal opinion.....