When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tool Watch

JoJo35

IMO, the thought of owning one of today's new rolex as a tool watch almost seems ludicrous. What was once an affordable watch that was used by countless divers and other hard working professionals, it seems that modern rolex has turned into a luxury item that rests on it's tool watch history, but advertises it's products to yuppie wannabes (kinda like a yuppie on a Harley, ugh!).

Anyway, my point being, where does that leave us common folk (you know, sub-middle class commoners who wander aimlessly around poor towns like NYC?)?

Well, I suppose we could invest our bread crumbs in a used 16610, but that would still take a lot of saved crumbs, and then we probably wouldn't want to truly use it as a tool watch and accidentally scratch it. I found the only realistic solution was to build one, so pictured below is my beater... oops... I meant "tool watch" :rolleyes:

This is one I can wear everyday, and not give a damn about getting a scratch on it. Loaded with plenty of gen parts, including the dial, bezel assembly, insert, crystal, and tube/crown, it looks as it should. As far as functionality, it has the heart of a recently serviced swiss eta 2836-2, and it successfully passed a pressure test, so I won't hesitate a moment while using it to time my bottom times on the U-853 or in the Devil's Throat.

64l6b59e.jpg

0958f0e7.jpg

541c8s7e.jpg

jojo,

Great looking watch. just wondering was the genuine bezel a fairly simple switch? That's my next addition to mine if it's not too major. then possibly the dial and crystal.

Thanks

The good news is that a genuine bezel snaps right in. The bad news is that the rep retainer ring rubs the gen insert causing the bezel not to turn. The only alternative is to trim the height of the retainer ring, to shave the insert, or to seek out a gen retainer ring.

Very nice! Is the case a WM9?

Great looking beater, JoJo.

That's the WM9 V1 case, correct ??

Yes, the case is a WM9 V1 :drinks:

That is quite a "beater". I can't imagine I would let that get damaged either. Although much less than the real McCoy it still sounds like a pretty penny involved in putting that together.

Thanks krpster! I guess it is what it is, each of us have their own level of what they feel comfortable wearing. I'd pick up a gen 16610 for a beater, but I'm still trying to funnel some of those funds toward a "grail" ;)

Thanks krpster! I guess it is what it is, each of us have their own level of what they feel comfortable wearing. I'd pick up a gen 16610 for a beater, but I'm still trying to funnel some of those funds toward a "grail" ;)

I can only imagine what you consider a "grail" :Jumpy:

I could build a couple of MY grails just from your extra parts and movements you have laying around right now!

Thats about as good as a 16610 franken can get. I wonder if gen SEL's would fit proper on that V1 case?

dizz

I can only imagine what you consider a "grail" :Jumpy:

I could build a couple of MY grails just from your extra parts and movements you have laying around right now!

Thats about as good as a 16610 franken can get. I wonder if gen SEL's would fit proper on that V1 case?

dizz

I can't substaintiate by actually seeing it but I've been told by the gentleman that purchased a WM9 V2 from me a couple months back that the gen 93250 is a perfect SEL fit.

So I'm guessing if they make for a perfect fit on the V2 they would on the WM9 V1 too. :pardon:

Edited by d-rock