When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5th gen 42mm PO Modded

starman351

As requested here are some pics of my modded 5th gen PO

It has the following:

4th gen crystal with 2geek AR

4th gen He valve

GEN dial, hands, bezel and strap

All that is needed is a GEN crown and tube, and on the wrist it would be indistinguishable from the gen. I am holding off on that mod until I replace the crystal with the one that came from the watch (after I get it coated). The one in it now has a couple minor flaws in the AR. I believe I marred it slightly installing it. This was my first (major) watch project (usually it's cars), so I think I may have been a bit overzealous. A cheap Harbor Freight case press didn't help much either.

On to the pics:

421.jpg

422.jpg

423.jpg

The last pic shows how good the hand stack/projection is. Spot on in comparison with the GEN. On my UPO the hour hand hugs the dial. Not so here.

It may be a minor thing but the hand projection is what tends to nag at me the most when comparing my VAC modded UPO (gen dial hands etc) with my GEN 42 PO.

Now that I have built this one I am tempted to sell the UPO. The fact that the Chief AR seems to scratch of you look at it funny doesn't help much either. The GEN AR holds up really well, and the 2geek seems to as well. Anybody looking for a nice BOND (black/white on gen rubber) UPO.....

Great work. I was thinking about doing the same thing. But now that I looked at ofrei for gen bezel, crystal, dial, hands, crown, he valve it looks like with a watch we are looking at $1100-1200 plus assembly. Gens sell for $1600+ so I guess I'd rather get gen then...

Edited by Sql_pl

Great work. I was thinking about doing the same thing. But now that I looked at ofrei for gen bezel, crystal, dial, hands, crown, he valve it looks like with a watch we are looking at $1100-1200 plus assembly. Gens sell for $1600+ so I guess I'd rather get gen then...

I know what you mean. It is close in price to a older used gen. The cheapest I have seen a decent one for is $1700, and that was even no box no papers, so who knows... When this is done it is on par (visually) with a brand new gen. No fading of the dial, fresh lume dings scratches etc.

On top of that there is the ticking time bomb of the coaxial in the 2500 movement. My first gen stopped at 1 day old. I didn't even have it on for 2 hours. Luckily my AD did right and swapped the watch. With this one I can replace the entire movement for less than half the cost of an Omega service.

Honestly the rep bezel was really good. I probably wouldn't have swapped it if I didn't already have this one lying around. So really I think all you need are the dial, hands, crown and tube. I used the 4th gen He valve but perhaps one from a UPO would work. As for the crytal I would just get the 2geek coating. It is easily as good as the gen, if not a little better.

So I think you could have a REALLY nice piece for $700 or so. You can't touch a used SMP quartz for that.

I know what you mean. It is close in price to a older used gen. The cheapest I have seen a decent one for is $1700, and that was even no box no papers, so who knows... When this is done it is on par (visually) with a brand new gen. No fading of the dial, fresh lume dings scratches etc.

On top of that there is the ticking time bomb of the coaxial in the 2500 movement. My first gen stopped at 1 day old. I didn't even have it on for 2 hours. Luckily my AD did right and swapped the watch. With this one I can replace the entire movement for less than half the cost of an Omega service.

Honestly the rep bezel was really good. I probably wouldn't have swapped it if I didn't already have this one lying around. So really I think all you need are the dial, hands, crown and tube. I used the 4th gen He valve but perhaps one from a UPO would work. As for the crytal I would just get the 2geek coating. It is easily as good as the gen, if not a little better.

So I think you could have a REALLY nice piece for $700 or so. You can't touch a used SMP quartz for that.

And there's also the pride in knowing that you put it together from bits. You know the workings inside and out...there is something to be said for that!

po-12-30-10.jpg

4th Gen PO with all the mods...

"4th gen crystal with 2geek AR"

Hi,

Thanks for the great post. Looking to change the He valve and crown/tube with gen (if they fit).

As for the crystal I am thinking to double AR coat it, I don't know how much the gen crystal costs but its probably very expensive.

Who or what is "2geek AR"?

Also where do you guys get the specs for the gen parts (he valve, crown/tube/stem) and purchase from?

I tried cousinsuk, the problem is you need a case number to search for anything and I don't think they would have the He valve.

Thanks

I tried cousinsuk, the problem is you need a case number to search for anything and I don't think they would have the He valve.

The 42mm PO has case references of 168.1651 and 168.1653, but I can't find the He valve on Cousins, either. However, Ofrei does have it (086ST0115), listing at $69.

Thanks for all the parts info.

Crown

I found the crown by using a case ref search on cousins uk, its quite cheap about £14: Omega Crown 9 x Ø6.10, Depth 4.50 Stainless Steel Waterproof

I guess it would also require a new tube/stem to fit the rep.

He Valve

At £40, I think the gen He valve is a bit too expensive. I might try to get a 4th Gen He valve or one from the Narikaa model, if I don't find a generic after-market version.

Not sure what to do with the crystal. The gen is about £140, which is quite a lot considering the price of the watch. It might be worth getting its current crystal re-coated. The double AR makes quite a difference in appearance.

Crown - definately need the tube too as they don't match the rep thread. Worthwhile rep not just aesthetically as crown stripping us all too common on reps.

He valve - what's the issue with the new 42mm PO rep valves? I have a 4th gen and it's the last thing on my mod list and I don't think I'll bother changing it.

Crystal - I think this makes a massive difference especially if you have gen dial, it finishes the look in real quality and style. My next mid, although I'm sad the new gen AR doesn't have the old blue/ purple hue to the same degree as the early pre 2010 models.

What a great base for mods the planet oceans have been. Bravo.

Edited by matt2302

He valve - what's the issue with the new 42mm PO rep valves? I have a 4th gen and it's the last thing on my mod list and I don't think I'll bother changing it.

Unfortunately, the He valve on the new 42mm is too big and has the wrong shape.

Why they are not able to match the size of the original, on something as simple as a little steel pebble, is one of these mysteries of life. We will never know...

Crystal - I think this makes a massive difference especially if you have gen dial, it finishes the look in real quality and style. My next mid, although I'm sad the new gen AR doesn't have the old blue/ purple hue to the same degree as the early pre 2010 models.

By the way the new double AR coating looks terrific (on the gen) just try it on and you'll see !

This double AR thing (and the rest of the mods) is going to be a logistical nightmare. I am in the UK, the watch is in China and this "2Geek" character is somewhere in Singapore (is this a self-inflected nickname?). So I will probably need to get a new crystal from the dealers and send it to 2Geek for double AR, purchase the gen parts and have them plated (I am going for the RG version), then send the watch, new AR coated crystal and gen bits and bobs to some moder somewhere to put it all together if it fits(not sure who yet).

It might actually be easier to save £ 19,000 and just buy the gen...

Edited by Aquarius

Starman, what were your thoughts on doing the datewheel mod with a gen eta 2892?

I didn't do mine as I did the mods myself and it's quite tricky to do. But it is a much brighter White font than that on the eta 2824 movements.

I didn't even bother to change it. It looks very close to the gen. Your's is the 4th gen (I have on of those as well) so I can see why you'd change it. That one is further off. On the 5th it's not bad at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Have a gen darewheel but it's not installed. I think I'll wait for a service perhaps before I mod it. I have a gen eta movement so actually mine isn't too bad compared to the clone eta datwheels either.

Great pics.

Was the starter watch an ETA clone or ETA version? I'm planning to get one for gen dial/hands mod.

The gen strap fits perfectly? I have a 4th gen and the strap I tried flipped out (could have been a rep strap but was sold as gen).