When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Project 1016

ubiquitous

Ubi I hate you....

:drool:

I was thinking the same thing.. gen case set, yuki dial and yuki 7602 rivet. What a beautiful watch. I have two gen datejusts with ETA movements and I was thinking of turning one into a 1016. I think you have inspired me to do just that!

dizz

+1, except me doing my own build like Dizzy. I hope and pray over time I can acquire the knowledge and skill set to try a project like you do ubi. Can't wait to see her progress.

+1, except me doing my own build like Dizzy. I hope and pray over time I can acquire the knowledge and skill set to try a project like you do ubi. Can't wait to see her progress.

:) Believe me... If you can do the ETAs, fitting a gen Rolex movement in a case that's designed for a gen movement will be a piece of cake! With the ETA swaps and retrofits, you have a number of things to contend with... Everything from aligning datewheel overlays and making sure dials with missing dial feet are straight... Installing the dial with enough clearance for the datewheel so it doesn't rub or stick... Ensuring that the right ETA is installed so the stem lines up center in the tube... Making sure that the case clamps aren't applying too much pressure to the movement, but rather just enough to keep the movement from shifting around when the stem is pulled out to set the time, etc. There are a lot of variables to check and double check, and I've spent many an hour assembling, disassembling, adjusting and repeating many times over to get things just right...

Whereas a Rolex 1570 movement going into a case meant for a 1570 is basically plug and play :) Almost takes the fun out of it all... Almost ;) I'd definitely say that I learned more doing the ETA stuff!

Nothing short of amazing!!

Thanks, buddy :) It's definitely coming along...

Things are starting to take shape!

^_^

First and foremost, jmb did a knock out job on the bezel! I couldn't believe my eyes when I pulled it from the envelope today... Really just amazing what he can do with a lathe! The man's got skills!

The bezel was test fitted using a Clark's crystal which is temporary for the time being for test fitting/mock up purposes.

Custom bezel fabricated by jmb with LHOOQ's measurements:

IMG_0343.jpg

The 1570 sans calendar components fit the case perfect with the stem lining up center. I still need to fit a tube, but this gives an idea of alignment.

This is what I like to see:

IMG_0359.jpg

Stem nice and centered:

IMG_0366.jpg

1570 nice and snug in it's home:

IMG_0362.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

Dial side up:

IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

Just waiting on a couple more parts... Completion is in sight...

:)

Once again, my workplace firewall is killing me, as I can't see any of your pictures...

Still, it's great to hear the 1570 fit without issue. And, yes, J is a lathe virtuoso!

EDIT: Lunch break, and I'm seeing it now. Faaantaastic!!! You might want to shorten that stem, though. :p

Another fantastic project!

I totally forgot that the older explorers were 36mm! I wonder if a similar build can be done with a 1500 and an ETA? I picked up a 1500 for the movement a while ago and never got around dumping the case.

Anyone know where I can get a set of short mercedes hands for ETA?

Another fantastic project!

I totally forgot that the older explorers were 36mm! I wonder if a similar build can be done with a 1500 and an ETA? I picked up a 1500 for the movement a while ago and never got around dumping the case.

Anyone know where I can get a set of short mercedes hands for ETA?

A set of Tudor hands should work.

Ebay has a plethora available.

1500 case and a 5500 Air King case are somewhat similar. Both are 34 mm. And of course, the 5500 Explorer is the little brother to the 1016. Yuki has the dials(for a 5500)and I believe a T-13 is the non-cyclops crystal for a 1500 case. The 5500 dial is 28.3mm or so, so a standard set of hands should work- it's certainly a bigger dial than a 5513 or 1680 dial. Not sure which movement works, but I think it's either a 2824-2 or a 2836-2 so that's pretty simple.

1500 might have a 5.3mm case tube, but it would still be the 6mm crown- just the one that fits a 5.3mm tube.

For a 1500, you'd want a 2836, 2846 or 2783. The 2783 works best with a non-date build since the ETA DW sits a bit lower than the top plate on the movement; it's difficult to get the overlay to sit correctly on those.

If using a 1002 or 5500 case, a 2824 fits best, as those models are no-date to begin with. The 2824 and 1520 share the same stem height.