When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1680 from Josh

tonyp1

The 1680 was the only gen Ive ever owned. So I was greatly excited to see joshes white 1680. Funny thing is it was so long ago that I owned the gen I cant remember much about it. I didn't hang out on the forums back then and didn't really study the watch. Just wore it and thought it was cool. One thing thats not right on this rep is the crown. Its too big. The pictures make the crown look much larger than it actually is. Especially in close up shots. The bracelet feels a lot lighter than I remember my gen. But that was 10 years ago. lol Anyways here are the pics. All in all for $200 a pretty decent rep. The crystal is super nice on these reps the date mag is nice to.

post-4125-0-58804200-1296091315.jpg

post-4125-0-05443300-1296091325.jpg

post-4125-0-38350300-1296091336.jpg

post-4125-0-03056300-1296091503.jpg

Edited by tonyp1

These are pretty nice, the crown is Waaaaay too big. First mod would be a genuine crown. Supposedly the Tube will work with a genuine crown, but even if it didn't a Clark tube will only set you back about 17-20 bucks. These have a 2846 motor , so it's slow beat almost the same as the genuine 1570 that was in your genuine. Pretty nice silver date wheel too. Bezel /crystal attachment is weird, not at all like the genuine. You can get genuine inserts to fit, probably with some sanding and glue. I don't think genuine bezels will work, at least without modifications of the machinist nature.All in all a pretty darn nice rep at a very reasonable price. It's not and old skool MBW that takes genuine parts with no mods, but they are in another price bracket as well, when you can find one.

Y'all are about to force me into getting one of these - Lord knows I've made enough crystal retention rings for 'em! :whistling: Is the general consensus this and the PT sourced model re the same watch? I know I've made crystal rings for both and the construction appears to be the same...a

I purchased one of these from Josh, and while it was in transit was able to pick up a PT 1680 from a private sale.

The watches (as stated above) are indeed quite different. Here's what I've been able to notice.

• PT's crown guards are much taller and meatier which is a good thing because they need a serious massage. Josh's are stubby and short - which can be made to look decent if you take some meat off the at 10/20.
  • 703 will fit both cases rep tubes - a good thing if you dont feel like countersinking gen/clark tubes.
  • PT case and caseback are stamped 1680, Josh's are stamped 5512 / 5513
  • Bezel assembly on Josh's allows perfect swaps for clark and gen xtals. On PT's you need to get a new retaining ring fabricated if you want to change xtals.Josh's xtal is nicely bevelled while PT's has no bevel at all. Both date mags are very good.
  • PT's case back is nicely rounded, Josh's has some flat spots which look like it was flat before then someone tried grinding it round << could be a manufacturing defect only on mine
  • The dials are totally differnt. Most notably, PT's date window sits a bit too far to the right therefore dates arent centered.
  • PT's insert (imo) is nicer than josh's. Josh's pearl hole is too large - for those who like to pop pearls off while vintage-izing

Both reps out the box are very good and will fool 95% of the folks out there. The only real mods needed are to drill out the lug holes, pick up some 2mm spring bars, and a gen crown.

Anyways, for my project I took the good parts from both watches, added an MBW dial (THANKS UBI!), a gen 702 crown/tube and it's now at Pb Dad's spa for treatment.

[*]Bezel assembly on Josh's allows perfect swaps for clark and gen xtals. On PT's you need to get a new retaining ring fabricated if you want to change xtals.

Some of the new Cartel vintage watches have gone to the same type crystal ring w/plastic spacer as the PT watch, thus my curiosity as to whether they were the same basic watch or not.

I know I am not an expert, but I really am finding it hard to see many flaws with this watch, at least not without being super picky. Yes I can see that the crown is too big and maybe the hands are a little different in that the borders around the lume are a little thicker, but i'm not sure you could see this without a loupe to be honest. I can't see much wrong with the insert, dial or crystal. Compared to the gen pic I have.

Looks excellent to me, damn fine!

But I do have one question. What about the A2813 version? Low beat just the same, alot of people say they are a decent workhorse and $98! Surely a must, no?

Kindest regards. Marc.

post-15401-0-98595500-1296413872.jpg

I know I am not an expert, but I really am finding it hard to see many flaws with this watch, at least not without being super picky. Yes I can see that the crown is too big and maybe the hands are a little different in that the borders around the lume are a little thicker, but i'm not sure you could see this without a loupe to be honest. I can't see much wrong with the insert, dial or crystal. Compared to the gen pic I have.

Looks excellent to me, damn fine!

But I do have one question. What about the A2813 version? Low beat just the same, alot of people say they are a decent workhorse and $98! Surely a must, no?

Kindest regards. Marc.

IMO, a must as well. Josh is down for the New Year until Feb 12th but that is the latest and greatest version. It will take gen parts, an ETA mvt, hands are the same. The only thing that doesn't work is the dial feet. You will need to clip those if you put in a slow beat ETA.

The reconditioned ETA 2846 that Joshua sells will need service when you get it and it's on an older version.

Jim

IMO, a must as well. Josh is down for the New Year until Feb 12th but that is the latest and greatest version. It will take gen parts, an ETA mvt, hands are the same. The only thing that doesn't work is the dial feet. You will need to clip those if you put in a slow beat ETA.

The reconditioned ETA 2846 that Joshua sells will need service when you get it and it's on an older version.

Jim

Yeah but what is wrong with buying the $98 version, not modding it, just putting it on your wrist. It looks pretty goods to me, better than pretty good!

Kindest regards, Marc.

These are pretty nice, the crown is Waaaaay too big. First mod would be a genuine crown. Supposedly the Tube will work with a genuine crown, but even if it didn't a Clark tube will only set you back about 17-20 bucks. These have a 2846 motor , so it's slow beat almost the same as the genuine 1570 that was in your genuine. Pretty nice silver date wheel too. Bezel /crystal attachment is weird, not at all like the genuine. You can get genuine inserts to fit, probably with some sanding and glue. I don't think genuine bezels will work, at least without modifications of the machinist nature.All in all a pretty darn nice rep at a very reasonable price. It's not and old skool MBW that takes genuine parts with no mods, but they are in another price bracket as well, when you can find one.

I think this is the updated version of the one you mention. It has a 2836 or an a2813 and has a different bezel construction 'same as genuine'. As far as I am aware the plastic retaining ring has gone aswell. Also the dial has been updated.

I am going to start a new thread about this watch because I think alot of people have overlooked this watch (and because I want one) :rolleyes: , not realising it is an updated version. And quite frankley a very nice and IMO accurate rep.

Kindest regards, Marc.