When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pictorial: Omega 5th gen Planet Ocean

mojako

You can replace every part with a Gen part if you like. Dial, bracelet, hands, case-back, HEV, crown, tube, crystal ..... everything. Some people do that. It just depends on how much money you want to spend.

Most people only do dial-hands-crown-tube and then get the replica crystal AR coated by Chieftang, who supplies the finest (better than Gen) AR coating available today.

Finally received the GEN parts and installed them...

but ran into some problems!!

Crystal doesn't fit! It went right thru- It probably needs a GEN crystal gasket.. is this the one i need?

gasket.jpg

The GEN He tube will not go thru all the way - the He Valve doesn't sit flush with the case - will have to mod this later

Take a look at the pix - with GEN dial, GEN bezel and GEN He valve - take note of the REP hands- they match the dial lume color!!

GEN hands and crown have yet to arrive. ( Sorry for the hazy pix, this was a quick shoot )

DSC_8936.jpg

DSC_8940.jpg

Edited by mojako

Some more shots... with natural lighting (as opposed to the artificial lighting on the previous shots)

Still without the GEN hands and un-modded He tube..

GEN Parts installed:

Dial

Bezel

He Valve

DSC_8961.jpg

DSC_8954.jpg

DSC_8956.jpg

Lume shot - lume on the rep hands don't match the GEN

DSC_8975.jpg

DSC_8977.jpg

Edited by mojako

Did you order the ref: 298ZW2980 or smthing else?, i cant figure out which one is for the 42mm case..

In R2D4's thread says that 298ZW2980 gasket is for case no 168.1651, 1653 (42mm version), but Ofrei says its for case no 168.1650 - 1652 (45.5 mm).. so im a bit confused any ideas?

Thanks

Slan9e

Edited by Slan9e

slan9e - damn! You are correct! I ordered the one which r2d4 posted in his guide, not checking if it's for the 45mm! I will confirm this with Ofrei.

ryaku, the REP crystal on this 5th GEN is nice. There isn't much of a difference with the GEN crystal, I will try to take comparison pictures soon.

168.1651, right? :mellow:

I had the opportunity this morning to have a close look at a gen PO.

The rep is structurally really well done, also the bezel clicks like the gen, almost the same sound and feeling.

A gen dial, hands, crown and HV is the way to go. Also a new AR coating is mandatory although the rep coating is decent.

A new bezel is too expensive, I'll just try to improve the pearl at a low cost.

mojako, can you please check the crystal sizes (thickness and diameter) when you get it?

I have one spare SMP crystal and I'm curious to know if sizes are close or very different.

• 4 weeks later...

Great thread :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Could someone inform me why this is called a 5th generation PO replica and wath is the difference from the 4th generation (I guess the 4th gen = UPO or am I wrong)

Could someone inform me why this is called a 5th generation PO replica and wath is the difference from the 4th generation (I guess the 4th gen = UPO or am I wrong)

You disappear for 6 months and then expect us to do your homework for you?! :group:

The last 42mm replica to accept gen parts was the v4. The POrikaa 42mm does not accept gen parts, so it was never called a v5. This new version accepts gen parts so it is known as the 42mm v5.