When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor Heritage Chronograph - Errr, sorta...

jmb

OK, after watching this thing crawl through the postal system since it cleared Customs on Sunday it finally arrived! When I had my parts guy buy this for me I had set my expectations pretty low as I figured it would be a 100% POS plus he just described it as a "cheap watch". I was pleasantly surprised as it's only about 50% POS! :lol:

Major Flaws and gripes (remember, I'm not as anal as some):

The dial layout is wrong (I suspect they didn't have a movement that matched the proper subdials so they took "creative license" (it is a rep after all) making the right subdial a 24 hour totalizer and the left subdial a 60 minute totalizer. The only thing that's right is the sweep hand is the stopwatch sweep hand. You will realize there is no running seconds as this particular movement has the 24 hour totalizer where the gen has the running seconds. All-in-all this would make for a nice stopwatch for timing long intervals.

The crown does not screw down and does not have the black inlay as per gen.

The "lock rings" on the pushers are decorative only.

Clasp is wrong.

The crystal is not quite tall enough.

Pleasant Surprises:

Quick-set date.

The CGs seem to be reasonably accurate.

The bezel looks good and rotates.

Total weight is 144 gm.

Hands look reasonable.

Proper 42mm case size.

Overall impression:

It's wearable, having nice heft and at 42mm looks quite "chunky". As this isn't really common (at least on this side of the pond) it will probably easily pass the 6 foot test. This would be the first watch I would really need to remove a link on so it should fit some of the larger wrists. My wife told me that it looked good on my wrist and she has never made that exact observation before. It has a lot of flaws but it actually is a pretty cool looking watch and I think it's worth the money as for the same price I've gotten some real dogs!

Here are a few pics:

Wrist 1.JPG

Heritage 1.JPG

Heritage 2.JPG

Heritage 3.JPG

Heritage 4.JPG

Heritage 5.JPG

Crown side.JPG

Clasp.JPG

Back.JPG

Pretty good looking watch.

If everyone can forget that a "Gen" exists (this goes for all watches), then for what it is.....I like it.

As for the hour totalizer, it looks okay. Remember, it is a 24 hour hand. In the pics, it is at the 23:00 position. You have your time set at 11:08 P.M.

Does the Bezel rotate?

Nice review J!

Edited by Justasgood

The 24 hour totalizer is for the chrono function and after I hit the reset button the sweep and minutes totalizer returned properly to "zero" but the hour totalizer went to 6:00 position.

Bezel rotates with clicks...

I think, if nothing else, someone could reasonably use this case to build on...

The 24 hour totalizer is for the chrono function and after I hit the reset button the sweep and minutes totalizer returned properly to "zero" but the hour totalizer went to 6:00 position.

Bezel rotates with clicks...

I think, if nothing else, someone could reasonably use this case to build on...

Well that's odd. Is the case a good quality steel?

You need to get one of those colorful NATO straps and then I would say that is an awesome watch. The bracelet takes away from how nice the case and colorful dial are.

Enjoy it.

Call me when you decide to pass it along.....my watchmaker would fall off his chair if I walked in with that one :p

Edited by Justasgood

You know, I am really confused about that 24hr hand.

All the dealer pics show it tracking military time. In the ads, 10am is shown with the pointer at 10. Your watch, I assume is at 11pm and the hand is pointing at 23:00.

Have you cycled through a 24 hour rotation to see the date change? Didn't the 24hr hand track the main time?

It seems to be functioning correctly. When I first unpacked it the time was close enough to 12 that I mistakenly assumed the hand had just been pressed on not perfectly lined up. I only operated the chrono a few times for a minute or two and the 24 hour hand didn't move when I reset the chrono so I sort of "assumed" it functioned with the chrono. After setting the correct date and time the 24 hour hand advanced but I did not notice until after I ran the chrono for an extended period of time and reset it. After this I noticed the 24 hour hand being in what I took as an "incorrect" position and my assumption bit me in the a$$! :whistling:

Fantastic review, thanks :good::drinks: I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to use the dial and movement for my planned project :whistling: Is there a link you could post, or if I was to PP you the cash first, might you be able to order one on my behalf when I have the cash to spare?

[Edit to add]

It's interesting that the crown lacks the inlay of the gen, as personally, that inlay was a detail I didn't like (I feared it would eventually fall out) so to me, the 'solid crown' is a better option :good:

There was a link in the original thread where this watch was "found", do a search of the Rolex forum.

Just checked original thread and the link is no longer valid. I don't know why as I can't read Chinese! I suppose you can go to taobao.com and search on Tudor... The search box is fairly evident but once you get listings you are on your own!

Edited by jmb