When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Couple From The Bay

offshore

Spotted these on 'bay Oz tonite.

The PP just proves that big watches aren't just a 2000 thing.

BTW this seller has some great stuff, but if his history holds, this will have a 4 figure reserve on it... trouble is, I don't know what the 1st figure is!!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PATEK-PHILIPPE-Vint...1QQcmdZViewItem

The 2nd just raises eyebrows, It could be something from the 6062 range, but I don't think so.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GREAT-ROLEX-CHRONOG...1QQcmdZViewItem

Seller has good feedback, but I don't think this ever saw the Swiss border.

What say- you Rolex nuts?

Offshore

I'm not a Rolex afficianado, but have been sitting pondering this one. There are too many things wrong. If I am not mistaken, that is a relatively late model bracelet... sure it could have been fitted later... but....

Also, this style dates from the '40s to the '60s.. why then would you have a Gas Escape valve?? especially when helium was only used as a diving medium from the early '60s? Why would Rolex even build a chrono, moonphase, multidate, tachymeter...."Oyster"... and install a gas valve?.... thats commercial dive stuff!

Maybe its time to start some Rx research... just to cure my inquisitive nature. Or maybe someone here can tell me some more.

Offshore

I also note that in pic 4, the pusher @ 2 ( or 8) has serations around it, presumably to grip to turn the tachy scale, yet in all the other photos, the pushers are all smooth. More than one photo here!

Also the numerals on the 1st photo are almost white as against dark in the following shots. ( maybe just the photos)

In Cooksey Shugart, there are a couple of similar models pictured, ( but not the same) from the mid '40's, interestingly, some of these are marked with the warning, " Beware of fakes"

Methinks its time for a report to ebay.

Offshore

The Rolex is a total fabrication, as in 100% FAKE. HE valve writing on the back- I don't think so. Four chrono pushers- no way. These guys have taken an early movement like a triple date 6236 and completely bastardized it and then put a late model POS band on it. Undoubtably, it has a 21j asian movement with a few mods so you can move the subdials when you hit the pushers- commonly referred to as "working chronos" LOL

I'd have to agree with Kruzer00 on that Patek... overall size of 58mm? That seems a bit HUGE for a vintage watch... about the right size for a pocket watch though.

The rolex I don't even want to discuss... that thing is horrible. Not the worst rep I've ever seen... but its just f'n ugly. Even if it were a gen, its still horrible and an affront to human eyes.

HEV valve was only ever made for SeaDweller, so that is an obvious fake. Maybe they should have put "Daytona Winner" on the case back too.

Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...