When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Joshs 5512 is quite nice

Star69

Ok, I'm struggling with finding the 5513's etc on Joshs site. Could someone send me a link to the best one to mod into a Tudor sub.

I found the 1680 that's still at 98.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

under Rolex - Submariner - Vintage :) : http://www.1-pc8838.com/rlsv01106-vintage-5513-date-submariner-asia-2813-28800-best-p-9667.html

Does someone have a spare Josh 5512/5513 in the EU? I'm looking for one but can't wait 6 weeks till Josh delivers!

I have a gen dial, a 5513 with WG surroundings on the indexes, ready to go in it.

usually i takes only 2 weeks ;)

i was thinking about an 5513 wg dial too ....

just got gen t19+insert - and waiting for the better hands :snorkel:

cheers,

Frank

I must have got some bad info when I first started looking into doing a vintage mod project. I opted for the mbw.

But it's interesting to know the Josh subs take the gen dial. Is that the same for the 1680's I know the gen 1680 dials are slightly differing in size to the 5513 for example?

I must have got some bad info when I first started looking into doing a vintage mod project. I opted for the mbw.

But it's interesting to know the Josh subs take the gen dial. Is that the same for the 1680's I know the gen 1680 dials are slightly differing in size to the 5513 for example?

The 1680's and 1665 cases are different construction, not sure on dial size.

I have a few of Joshua's cases, just case and caseback.

I'd be interested in buying one if you have it to spare, once the midcase is good I dont care about anything else.

I totally F'd up an otherwise decent effort by "reshaping" the crown guards - reshaping meaning the total destruction of anything that remotely resembles anything Rolex ....or even swiss for that matter.

I had a Clarks dome installed, nicely aged bezel, clarks friction washer, markers and hands gently aged - just to take a bit of the edge off that yellow "vintage" look, gave the dial a light mist of matte lacquer, drilled out the lugholes and aged the bracelet for a decent vintage look, replaced the stuttery DG with a nice smooth brand new movement and even went as far as fitting a gen 702 crown and Yuki tube.... and couldnt just leave well enough alone and went ahead and had a go at the crownguards, now its just a pos with a Rolex dial, if I just had a midcase to drill out the lugholes, re tap it for the 702 tube and then leave it be it would be perfect (again)

I'd be interested in buying one if you have it to spare, once the midcase is good I dont care about anything else.

I totally F'd up an otherwise decent effort by "reshaping" the crown guards - reshaping meaning the total destruction of anything that remotely resembles anything Rolex ....or even swiss for that matter.

I had a Clarks dome installed, nicely aged bezel, clarks friction washer, markers and hands gently aged - just to take a bit of the edge off that yellow "vintage" look, gave the dial a light mist of matte lacquer, drilled out the lugholes and aged the bracelet for a decent vintage look, replaced the stuttery DG with a nice smooth brand new movement and even went as far as fitting a gen 702 crown and Yuki tube.... and couldnt just leave well enough alone and went ahead and had a go at the crownguards, now its just a pos with a Rolex dial, if I just had a midcase to drill out the lugholes, re tap it for the 702 tube and then leave it be it would be perfect (again)

I've done that..lol

You could also just grind them all the way off and have a no CG sub. :)

I've done that..lol

You could also just grind them all the way off and have a no CG sub. :)

Honestly, its even too late for that, I was going to take a pic of the thing, but decided against - just to save myself the embarrassment, it really is that bad, I can't even think of anything to compare it to.

Put it this way, once I was finished I had to replace the original caseback with one from a noobmariner because the original was now too wide and was showing through under the "guards", I seriously don't know how I messed it up that bad, if I was drunk at least there would be some kind of excuse.

• 2 weeks later...

Frank, what was wrong with other hands? What's better on these?

I think I'll end up with a Swiss eta in my Tudor eventually and will use eta hands of course.

i bought them very cheap - like 5 Euro for 3 pairs ;) but the hour hand is totally off - too fat imho - so i had to get other ones -

these are real vintage hands with natural patina :)

cheers,

Frank

Frank, what was wrong with other hands? What's better on these?

The old hour hand had a really open point. And the lume cutout on the old minute hand was a tad too short towards the end as well. The second hand reeeeaaallly stuck up from the rest of the stack too.

But the mercedes bars in the new hour hand are too thick, the lume cutout is too narrow and the point while longer, is too narrow as well. The only rep hands I've seen that get these proportions right, get the length of the hand (the "stem" as it were) too short. I have this same handset on a couple of mine.

*sigh* does anybody make a good set? How about for 21j's?