When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Further Problems With Bracelet

jsw

Hi Everyone,

Have been lurking about for a few weeks soaking up information, based on this I have just received my first watches - a sub from Ed and a Seamaster from Silix. Both watches are outstanding, and I can't wait to wear them. Before I do I need to alter the bracelet to remove some links. Do I need a kit to do this (to push the pins out) or is it a matter of just getting an appropriate screw driver? If I need a kit, where is the best place to buy this in the UK?

Many thanks,

James

Edited by jsw

If it's a bond style Seamaster, it will probably come with screws in the band aswell. They used to come with pins, like the genuine. If you still want a link remover (best £5 i ever spent - Used it on countless watches), then try Ebay, or they go up for sale here now and again.

Well I took the Seamaster to a reputable dealer who was willing to work on reproductions. He managed to extract a couple of links from one side, but he said that the link is too stuck on the other side and he dare not force it and risk loosing the screw head. I'm not sure what to do now, I've emailed silix from who I bought the watch (they are away until the 10th), what would you guys recommend? Is there any expert in the UK where I can send the watch for the screw extracting?

Thanks,

James

Do it yourself and don`t be so gentle. Get yourself a sizingtool or set click here. Good luck!

Thanks for your suggestion, I'm almost certainly going to go down that route. Are sizing tools such as this intended to be used with pins that are threaded? If so do they lock into the screw head and function as a screwdriver?

James

Thanks for your suggestion, I'm almost certainly going to go down that route. Are sizing tools such as this intended to be used with pins that are threaded? If so do they lock into the screw head and function as a screwdriver?

James

James

The one you need is available from Birdman

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?s=&amp...ost&p=28733

Always remember that the right top quality tool will do the job, whereas using an incorrect tool, will only cost more $$

Offshore

James

The one you need is available from Birdman

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?s=&amp...ost&p=28733

Always remember that the right top quality tool will do the job, whereas using an incorrect tool, will only cost more $$

Offshore

Hi Offshore, Thanks. The pin in the Seamaster does not seem to be a double ended screw, it has a head one end and you can see the pin the other. Is this tool the right one for this job, what will the static head lock into?

James

James

I think what you are seeing, is a pin style bar. If you look closely the "screw head" end, may well actually be a split pin, so no amount of screwing will do anything. Has the bracelet got arrows on the back, indicating a direction to push the pins?

I remember in my early days, I fell for the same trap, trying to unscrew split links.

If it is a split pin style, the one I pointed you to is not correct, but he has the other style as well.

Offshore.

James

I think what you are seeing, is a pin style bar. If you look closely the "screw head" end, may well actually be a split pin, so no amount of screwing will do anything. Has the bracelet got arrows on the back, indicating a direction to push the pins?

I remember in my early days, I fell for the same trap, trying to unscrew split links.

If it is a split pin style, the one I pointed you to is not correct, but he has the other style as well.

Offshore.

Hi Offshore,

I've had a look at the pin and link that the jeweller managed to remove, it is definately threaded one end. I've ordered an "ebay" toolkit and when this arrived I will try using a screw driver and a bit more force. Should I also try some lubricant (wd40)?

Thanks,

James

James,

It surely wouldn't hurt to have left the link soaking in something like WD40, prior to trying to undo the screw.

Two points. Make sure you have the bracelet secured in some form of clamp or vise, and select the correct size screwdriver for the screw head. If that fails, the bracelet screw remover I initially pointed you at, is the next alternative.

Offshore

• 1 month later...

Silix have sent a new bracelet to replace the one with the stuck link pins (although I had to buy a new watch to get free p&p on this). I've taken this to the watch maker and he cannot easily get the new bracelet on to the watch (although he is still trying and saying not so nice things about the watch). It seems that the holes for the springbar on the end link are not aligned with the holes in the case. This was also the case on the original bracelet and the ends of the springbar were bent so that they could connect. Is this usually the case with the SMP? I must say I'm getting very frustrated by all this.

JSW

Edited by jsw

The holes are probably to far back in the end links, if you use a drill bit to file them deeper it should help.

I appreciate your suggestion. However I'd like to understand whether this is a common problem - and/or something that I should accept? When I placed the order, I didn't anticipate having to put so much effort and further money into making this watch wearable. The original bracelet suffers the same alignment problem as the replacement, so it is not as if this is a problem is with a mismatch between the replacement part.

James

James,

This sounds like the same problem many (myself included) run into when enlarging the lug holes on rep watches to fit the larger original springbars.

After the holes are enlarged, the springbars often don't line up with the holes in the case because the top portion of the end piece hits the side of the case before the springbar can reach and line-up with the holes in the lugs. One or the other of the two ends of the springbar is usually off by just a "smidge", but that's all it seems to take to keep it from fitting.

The only fix I'm aware of in this case is to file/grind/shave the circular portion of the end piece (where it fits against the watch case) down in small increments (testing frequently so you don't remove too much, which will leave you with an unsightly gap!) until the holes properly align. It's actually a quick job for a jeweler or watchmaker and a fairly simple one for you if you've got a good, round jeweler's file handy.

Edited by freddy333