When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New AP automatic jumbo exposed

cougaree

Well, here it is. I got it about a week ago. Overall, it's a good rep, but not a super rep. I don't know about any other AP models, but I'd say the complication on this watch is pretty hard to be replicated (especially the dial, I think the Arabic numbers are a lot easier to rep than thin stick markers, which make me wonder how good can the new AP diver be). The watch has pretty good size and stays pretty thin on my wrist. I wish the bezel and caseback can hug the case a little bit more tighter, but... nothing is perfect I guess. Some day, when I really want the watch to be perfect, perhaps I should get a genuine one.

I took the watch apart today to take these pictures. I hope you enjoy.

084ae46f.jpg

These A*F screw drivers are pretty good and cheap. I picked these up on the ebay for about $10.

4fa49957.jpg

72a29a1a.jpg

The screw driver I bought in Walmart is perfect size for the back screws. With these back screws, in my opinion it's very important you use the right size screw drivers.

727d13f1.jpg

57a9a767.jpg

1dd1df9e.jpg

e595cdc8.jpg

I wonder on the genuine one, the case is built like this.

402d269a.jpg

I wonder on the genuine one, the crown tube is like this (probably not).

228c5e5b.jpg

After I opened the watch, I replaced the original golden rotor with AP logo with a plain ETA rotor. Why? I think it matches better since the whole watch is silver in color.

Am I going to install a gen dial in this watch? Probably not. For the price of the dial and the built quality of the watch, it's just not worth it.

Am I going to keep this watch for a very long time? Yes, absolutely. It's interesting to see how everything put together. It's definitely unique, a mush have for my small collection. I also like how thin it is on my wrist.

Is this the cartells Jumbo?

Wonder if you can meassure the case-size for me (and the rest of the gang) cause I am on the fence for one of these babies in GREY dial version (I know its fantasy, but I love grey).

Thax for sharing your pics, cheers

Theo

Theo, what do you think about the bezel/screws? Looks a little better than our purchase, or?

Swap the caseback against our solid ones, kill the sec hand or swap the whole movement and the hands?

What do you think?

Best, J

Theo, what do you think about the bezel/screws? Looks a little better than our purchase, or?

Swap the caseback against our solid ones, kill the sec hand or swap the whole movement and the hands?

What do you think?

Best, J

it won't work. I tired. The new model has the correct dimensions and it's slightly larger than the closed caseback rep. The caseback won't fit.

Overall the dial is pretty accurate (at least the black one is). The main issue with the missing lume between the A and P.

The movement will never be right but the gen has a solid 24K gold rotor, so gold is kind of right for this.

Theo, I thought the gap should be tightly filled by the rubber gasket (the black stuff). In my case, the gasket is a little bit thin.

@everybody, the other thing I've noticed on this watch is the dial ring is not perfectly centered. As you can see in the picture, there is a gap between the dial ring and bezel at 12 o'clock (this is not a crystal reflection). When I take the movement out, I was able to slightly move it, but it's still not perfect. Just want to point this out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, the clasp is very poorly constructed. It even would not lock. I had to visit local watchsmith.

Other than that,, many screws are bad. They would not screwed in.

The worst part is.. when I screw the back tightly to the front bezel, now the rotor is not moving. So I have to keep the

screws in the back pretty loose.

I am sure it is the latest version.

Is it just mine?