When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Xoom tablet anyone?

hackR

Just picked up the new motorola xoom tablet from verizon wireless...

So far, so good...very handy for remote email, browsing, etc...keyboard typing is great...

Darn things should have bluetooth phone, too - but don't...

Anyome else have one?...thoughts?!...

R-

Same thing here!!

Last weeks reading a lot about tablets.. Ipad s great, but 2 pricy .. So i an looking for a alternative...

First thing is to stay away from clones..(e-pad's and friends)

So far the first thing that one my nr one lit is the :

archos 101 internet tablet 16 gb.

The Xoom doesn't support Flash either (yet), and Android in general still seems half-baked. Plus, this thing is MORE expensive than an iPad? Seriously, does everyone just drink the Kool Aid that Apple is so expensive? iPad is the price LEADER in the tablet space. I honestly don't get it. Why not buy a cheaper, MUCH better made iPad, which has 17x as many apps (the real figure, didn't just make that up)... or better yet, wait till March 2, when the even cheaper and faster iPad 2 comes out?

Edited by ispytonyv

Ummmm....ispytonyv...this isn't another Apple is better thread...to each his own..

As an fyi...I travel and move around a lot...and this tablet works for web and email access...and its fast, too...I don't need the marketplace of apple apps, so that world doesn't interest me...this will upgrade to 4g, support up to 32gb SD, and flash....for me, it works great...and saves me typing on a phone and/or booting up a laptop...

R-

It' may be a little more expensive than some of the ipads, but then, in terms of specification it's much, MUCH better than the technically bereft, and weak ipad ;)

Why Apple fans wish to pay more for a lot less is the real wonder, although it's not surprising, they've been doing just that for years....

Can't wait to get my hands on one of these, it looks really sweet and competition is only a good thing for any market, as more devices get released, prices should drop :)

Not a Xoom but I did get my Notion Ink Adam last week and am very happy with it and at $500 for a totally unlocked and open source device it is much less expensive than the Xoom or iPad - plus it has USB, HDMI, etc. ports lacking on the others. Will have to wait a few weeks for Honeycomb update but I have hacked the ROM to EdenX (custom ROM based on core Froyo/Gingerbread hybrid and give Market access) and it is working very fast and smooth - plus it has Flash - Xoom doesn't yet... Blows away my iPad... I really liked the PixelQi screen today while in full sunlight I could use Google Maps navigation in the car with no glare. Downloaded the new wave of games designed for the Tegra 2 machines like Xoom and Adam - Samurai II Vengeance is awesome.

My link

The "ideal" device IMO - is a fully capable PC with a separate phone and/or mp3 player that docks in a tablet sized footprint...the downside to a xoom is size and lack of phone...my HTC Incredible Droid is too big for me...too big for a phone and too small for a web/email device...remember the old motorola phones that were ultra-small?...the mp3 players that are ultra-small?...imagine if both could dock in a tablet footprint and detach when you need portability?...now that's the ultimate in "convergence"...

I'm an ex-CIO and have an ultra-laptop, a ultra-tablet (xoom), a Droid, a Cowon iaudio mp3 player, etc...too many gadgets...the solution is "dockability", but that will never happen as no one is incentived to do so...

That Motion Link unit looks pretty cool. Where did you get it?

Not a Xoom but I did get my Notion Ink Adam last week and am very happy with it and at $500 for a totally unlocked and open source device it is much less expensive than the Xoom or iPad - plus it has USB, HDMI, etc. ports lacking on the others. Will have to wait a few weeks for Honeycomb update but I have hacked the ROM to EdenX (custom ROM based on core Froyo/Gingerbread hybrid and give Market access) and it is working very fast and smooth - plus it has Flash - Xoom doesn't yet... Blows away my iPad... I really liked the PixelQi screen today while in full sunlight I could use Google Maps navigation in the car with no glare. Downloaded the new wave of games designed for the Tegra 2 machines like Xoom and Adam - Samurai II Vengeance is awesome.

My link