When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

v72 6263 project, possible hiccups?

Guest Sql_pl

Guest Sql_pl

So I am about to start a v72 6263 project, already found a movement donor, discussed case with DW and dial with Yuki... the thing is this time I would like to know about all possible hiccups beforehand - not to end up with tons of frustrating moments like with my Franken 16520.

Do I need to know about anything that needs to be modded to fit? Hands not fitting posts? Stem? Mods to movement to fit DWs case?

Appreciate any input.

Thanks! :drinks::thumbsupsmileyanim:

What I recall from my two:

1. Inner diameter of case may need some metal removed in order to fit the movement

2. chrono pushers could need either a little bit of trimming, or alternatively loctite blue in to order to get the right fit

3. some cases get a better fit on the tube if you counter sick the case just a bit

4. if you have the 6263, be careful not to apply too much pressure on the bezel insert. The plastic can crack

5. Hands will likely need either staking or a dab of glue. Sometimes both if you over stake. :-(

6. The end links... oh the end links! If yours dont fit, you'll probably need to remove 1mm from top and about 2Mm-3mm from underside

great projects.... most satisfying watches I own.

I had Rob do both of mine and it was worth every penny.

Edited by davethecat

What I recall from my two:

1. Inner diameter of case may need some metal removed in order to fit the movement

2. chrono pushers could need either a little bit of trimming, or alternatively loctite blue in to order to get the right fit

3. some cases get a better fit on the tube if you counter sick the case just a bit

4. if you have the 6263, be careful not to apply too much pressure on the bezel insert. The plastic can crack

5. Hands will likely need either staking or a dab of glue. Sometimes both if you over stake. :-(

6. The end links... oh the end links! If yours dont fit, you'll probably need to remove 1mm from top and about 2Mm-3mm from underside

That sounds about right....

+1

Mine experience with DW case is bad. Need to modify the case because is smaller than movement.

I don´t finish mine fisrt daytona, and i have other v72 movement to make mine second daytona, i i think the next case come from yuki or phong.

Hi M. I had build several in the past and from my experience:

The only option to get the right case is Phong but his complete set is very expensive, to make some savings my best approach to build one is:

a. get from Phong the case (just the case, no bezel, no crown & pushers, no caseback, no crystal)and try to get a couple of V72 stems for free...

b. get Cousins or Ofrei pushers and tube

c. add a gen 7mm triplock crown (the modern 703)

d. order a set from DW to use the case back and the bezel (you can get a nice price for a set with 6263 and 6265 bezels) and several hands set (that will allow you to find the most accurate chrono hands, believe me, it's not an easy question)

e. throw away DW's bezels and get the real one, it makes a huge difference

f. add a gen tropic 21 crystal and a gen 78350 bracelet with 557 endlinks (557 endlinks fits more or less in the case, worst than 571 but very cheap compare with it)

With those steps you just need wich is the key in a franken 626X daytona: the gen dial. It worth every euro spend on it because no rep dial is close to the real deal ;)

Hope this helps, if you need something just drop me a PM.

Best

T

Like hava, I found out that not all V72 movements are the same. By that I mean that the plates aren't all 13 ligne. My Heuer was too big for the DW case. When I switched to a Wittnauer, everything was peachy.

Here's a pic of the Heuer on the left- case measures 38mm and the plates of the movement were too big according to two watchmakers.

P1000455.jpg

Guest Sql_pl

Oh dear. So it is more than likely I will just want to throw it all out of the window one day? :black_eye:

Perfect.

I just checked and Phong's case set is $1550. Quite a lot considering basic set from DW is $259. But with Phong's you supposedly get gen T21, gen crown, gen tube and gen pushers...

The thing is my movement donor watch seller does not want to send it with reduced value declared so I do not have to pay full 23% VAT, so we will see if I even get this going!

Like torresp suggested I would only get the midcase from Phong if you go the J&W route, maybe pushers if you like the design better than cousin's 24-p302s.

I don't believe you will get anything genuine from him, after all he does sell aftermarket parts for a living.

Guest Sql_pl

Now that you mention these movement-case fit issues maybe it is better to go for the one that is already complete?

Here are the pics of the piece that is offered to me at a bit above $2k:

2dw1nq.jpg

6263a.jpg

As you can see in these pics there is an issue with chrono minute hand - possibly hand slipping from post, but may as well be something more serious I guess?

Gen 78350 with 557 endlinks:

6263b.jpg

Seriously dirty, pretty disgusting :black_eye:

ANd one more shot:

6263z.jpg

Shows horrible, typical DW dial with shiny subdials and also a supposedly gen T21 which is quite beat up...

Maybe that's actually a better idea to just go with this complete piece?

If you go with the complete piece, be sure to get it overhauled for a clean bill of health and baseline for service...

Ditto that.

The misaligned minute totalizer hand is likely just loose. Often, these can be repaired with epoxy or you can get a replacement from DW, Phong, etc (but do not be surprised to find the same problem with the replacement hand :bangin: ). Also, before you make a final decision, can you get a better pic of the bracelet model number stamp on the 1st link after the end link?

Guest Sql_pl

Just asked the seller about that Freddy. We will see.

I may sell my V3 WM9 Sub and my recently aquired Newman now to justify that to myself!

Anyone interested? :)

Got the bracelet pic:

Correct flat 3, I think genuine, right?

But look at the pushers, shouldn't the case be a bit more cutoff where pushers are?

The underside of the case where the pushers are located looks fine (the cut outs for the pushers vary on the gen cases & polishing also affects the shape/size of the cut-outs). I am not an authority on 78350s (I only use 7835s on my 62xxs), so take this with a huge grain of salt, but that may be an aftermarket bracelet :g: . The stamping looks larger than what I see on verified gens.

Endlink engraving looks fine, not sure about the bracelet reference, bit blurry to really tell, but it doesn't look too shabby at a first glance. Maybe an older one since the clasp seems to be missing the engraved bracelet number, a better picture of the other side would help (bottom part when closed).

Gen ones in that condition aren't very expensive, 557s are from Air Kings and there are quite a few around. I would not pay more than 150€ for one in that condition.