When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor Heritage Review

TeeJay

Today, I became the proud recipient of a Tudor Heritage chrono. Not just any Tudor Heritage Chrono, but The Tudor Heritage Chrono originally ordered by JMB, and reviewed here, before it became available via Forum Dealers. I'd had my eye on doing a 7032 project for quite some time, and I initially wondered if the dial and movement from the THC might be transplantable into a Daytona case, for a 7032 of sorts. Of course, the dial is quite a bit too large, so no such desecration can take place :victory: I had considered making JMB an offer on the watch, when I saw that it had found its way into the possession of the equally esteemed Justasgood. After a conversation, as to if Justasgood might have been prepared to sell the watch in the future, we settled on a trade, of a PAM 111, and some straps, for the THC and a Red12 strap. I'm now on tenterhooks, as although I have received the THC, Justasgood is still waiting on the arrival of the PAM, so please, Mr Postman, get that parcel to it's destination! :victory: The PAM was itself a very generous gift from the awesome Maxman (with the express instructions that I could trade/sell/part out the watch should the need arise), so thanks must also go to Maxman, as without that watch, I wouldn't've had the goods to make the trade. I was so impressed by the watch, that I felt the need to review it, so I shall post a few notes to complement JMB's initial findings on the watch :)

Case and overall build

DSCN3729.jpg

All I can say, is 'impressive'. This watch is easily the heaviest in my collection (possibly heavier than the PAM traded for it) and that weight is coming primarily from the case, as the movement is quartz. The case is nicely finished, with no sharp edges.

DSCN3737.jpg

As JMB mentioned in his review, the crystal is about 3mm too short. Not an issue which detracts from the watch, but still a flaw in replication. The crown does not screw down, but the watch has twice gone under a running faucet with no hint of fogging or flooding, and indeed, on WatchEden, the watch is advertised as water resistant. The knurling on the crown, pushers and bezel is crisp and neat, but not at all rough. I am not sure if the knurled sleeves on the original watch are screw down protectors like on the Daytona, or simply decoration, but on the replica, they are only decorative.

DSCN3738.jpg

The rotating bezel is easy to grip, and operates smoothly, with gently muted clicks. The font on the bezel is correct, but the numbers and markers are too short, as the numbers should fill the entire width of the insert, and the markers should reach to the inside edge of the insert.

DSCN3735.jpg

DSCN3736.jpg

The bracelet is an interesting mix, as while the primary links are accurate to the original, the clasp itself, is not. However, I would personally rate this clasp as an improvement over the original for two reasons. One, the original clasp has the same welded leaves as the clasps on the GMTIIc and DSSD, which have been reported to fail, and secondly, the original clasp has a triangular end, which would eventually rub on the bracelet, where this clasp is flat. Not a perfect replication, but in my opinion, certainly an acceptable alternative. The bracelet itself is very comfortable, and balances the watch well on the wrist. As per my recent musings, I think that a 22mm bracelet like this would have been a better selection on the DSSD, than the current 20mm bracelet.

Dial and hands:

DSCN3732.jpg

DSCN3730.jpg

Not only does the case of the watch convey a huge impact, the dial itself is also incredibly eye-catching, even if it is not a 1:1 replication of the original. As mentioned by JMB, the subdials do not replicate the precise function of the original, instead, providing a 24 sweep hand, and a 60 minute counter. Also as mentioned in JMB's initial review, there is no running seconds hand anywhere on this watch. While maybe not an issue for some, and certainly a familiar sensation for anyone wearing a Base PAM, seeing a watch with multiple dials and hands, and none of them visibly moving, is a pretty disconcerting feeling, and makes me consider running the chrono all the time, just so I can see a hand move :lol: Don't let this observation put you off the watch, as it either might not bother you at all, or, you might just get used to it :) All lettering on the dial is flawlessly printed, and the tangerine 5 minute markers on the outer track, are truly gorgeous. There are also two distinctly different matte textures between the grey primary, and black subsections, which, in addition to the concentric rings on the subdials, make for a visually interesting dial. The homeplates allow for easy reading at a glance, although, they are one of the more noticeable flaws in replication. On the original dial, the homeplates appear to be white plastic, rather than white gold outlines, as on Submariner dials. This would actually be a relatively simple modification, assuming one can decase the movement and dial, and it would simply be a matter of layering white vinyl stickers (maybe 4-5 layers) and then using a craft knife to cut the homeplate shapes. The date window is higher on the dial than the original, but this is obviously due to the movement being used. The coffin-shaped primary hands are incredibly easy to read at a glance, and rather than being flat, have the same central ridge as the original. The orange second hand... Well, that really is one of the iconic features of the 7032 and the Heritage, is very eye-catching, and when left running, provides a happy indicator that the watch hasn't stopped :thumbsupsmileyanim:

On the wrist:

DSCN3741.jpg

DSCN3740.jpg

As mentioned above, this watch has an incredible presence on the wrist, which is almost entirely down to the thickness of the knurled bezel. Of course, the 42mm case makes for a large watch, but it is the bezel which makes it 'stand tall'. The bracelet felt fine upon arrival, and I don't know if JMB or Justasgood applied any lubes while the watch was in their care, but I gave the bracelet the same treatment of sewing machine oil as I have my other bracelets, and it is butter-soft, and extremely comfortable. Despite being a large watch, the THC is very comfortable to wear. While this is a thoroughly Masculine watch, it is not an in your face 'over-compensating-tough-guy' watch. Surprizingly, unlike other large watches I have owned, this has no problem going under a long-sleeved cuff of a buttondown shirt, so while certainly possible to wear in the office, this watch is definitely better suited for jeans and T-Shirt, while engaging in some kind of rugged, manly pursuits. I would not be surprised if this watch was to get admiration and comments from observers :) While not without its flaws in replication, this watch definitely has an appeal, which I think elevates it above those flaws. Sure, anyone who knows what a THC looks like, and the key features, would be able to identify this as a rep from 10 feet (the position of the datewindow being the most observable and identifiable giveaway) but, to the untrained eye, this will just look like a nice watch, and likely only attract complements :victory: Thanks for reading, but most of all, a huge thankyou to JMB, Justasgood, and Maxman, who have all contributed to me now being the proud owner of this fine timepiece. Mucho gracias, amigos :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

[Edit to add]

Just to add, an acceptable NATO strap for the THC is available here :) (third of the way down the page)

DSCN3751.jpg

DSCN3752.jpg

Ignore the yellowish color in the posted photos, in the flesh, the orange stripe is a perfect match to the second hand :victory:

I like the second review from another POV

Thanks :) We all all look at watches with different perspectives, and I just wanted to share mine :) Personally speaking, I love the watch, although I would acknowledge that a 7032 would be 'more subtle' on the wrist. I would say to anyone who's tastes run toward the DSSD rather than DateJust end of the Rolex-Spectrum, this would be the watch for them :)

T, glad you wound up with it as I was getting tire of K poking me about owning it! :rofl: I guess I might have to get another one... :whistling:

Thanks J, I'll be sure to give it a good home and plenty of wrist time :good: I would definitely recommend the watch to anyone. I think for what it is, it's a fine replication of the THC, and it certainly wouldn't be hard for the factory to do a V2 to boost this into SuperRep territory :victory:

... seems like for barely over $100 USD, this is a steal

Absolutely, this would absolutely be a fantastic purchase. I'd highly recommend it to anyone looking for a nice chrono that didn't mind a quartz movement :good:

Nice review of a cool piece. Just to confirm for you, the knurled collars on the gen THC chrono pushers are functional.

That's interesting to know, thanks for the info :) I think it's funny how the optional NATO strap has the springbars through the strap, rather than just threading through the lugs like a regular NATO :g:

"a lot of history already for one "fake watch". Indeed T,your Heritage has Heritage. :victory:

:lol: It has indeed, M :good: In further news, it survived a trip through the shower without fogging or flooding, so I'm guessing that the crown has the same gaskets as on my plastic sub, which is also water resistant :victory:

:lol: It has indeed, M :good: In further news, it survived a trip through the shower without fogging or flooding, so I'm guessing that the crown has the same gaskets as on my plastic sub, which is also water resistant :victory:

Good to hear that the Heritage Is shower resistant :thumbsupsmileyanim: ,do you plan on taking It swimming? :snorkel:

Good to hear that the Heritage Is shower resistant :thumbsupsmileyanim: ,do you plan on taking It swimming? :snorkel:

I'll see how well it survives a soak in the bath, but if all goes well there, I will try swimming with it when the weather warms up :good:

[Edit to add]

20 minutes soaking in a bath, and still no fogging or flooding :victory:

SAWEET!!!!!!!!!!!! :1a:

Thanks, K :drinks: It's not a perfect match for the gen THC NATO, and there is a black/grey/orange NATO available which is kind of closer in appearance, but it has two problems: 1) The grey stripes are wider than the orange stripe, and, more importantly 2) It's only available in 20mm, so wouldn't be suitable for the THC case anyway :whistling:

All right, youze creeps have caused me to order another. :brow: In fact I told my parts guy to get me a grey AND a black one... :whistling: I'll decide which one I like best and "dump" the other...