When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So you want to be a fur trapper...

Nanuq

I went up the mountain behind the house last night and saw some neat tracks. Who can tell me what made them?

Here's #1 (note boot print for size comparison)

post-32-0-05397500-1299533028.jpg

Here's #2

post-32-0-90347300-1299533056.jpg

Here's #3

post-32-0-66681100-1299533078.jpg

C'mon Maxman, toss it out there. What say ye? Name those furry beasts! :cc_canadian:

HINTS:

Pictures #1 and #3 were on pretty hard packed snow. Picture #2 was deep and soft with a bit of a crust.

I was thinking wolverine or badger to be honest. But those mean MF's have some serious claws,I dont see much of a claw/paw print In the snow. Then again you say It's deep and hard and some crust. Ok I go with miagi,wolverine/Badger. :pardon:

#1 - Big claws, pretty vicious f&*ker... Bear of some sort?

#3 - That's got to be a big cat, big pads, shorter claws... I don't know much about your fauna over there, what models do you have? :)

Okay I'll give you guys credit for figuring out #2. But steeeeeeeerike TWO and THREE on the others. :thumbdown:

#1 is my neighbor's dog, the biggest Akita you've ever seen. A truly frightening bone cruncher, all white like a polar bear with a pure black head. We call him "sir". He loves to go for hikes with me.

#3 is a small wolf. There's been a pack hanging around the last couple weeks howling at night.

Good guesses guys!

Thanks for the nature lesson Nanuq.:) I was just wondering,can you see Russia from your house?;)

Nope, from my altitude I can see about 250 miles, a little past Mt. McKinley but that's looking north. I'd need to look west, but then there's another mountain range in the way.

Palin's actual quote is "And you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska." Here's a photo of Little Diomede and Big Diomede islands. The international date line runs between them, you're looking at "tomorrow" in Russia over there, about 2 1/2 miles away.

diomede-coastline_4570.jpg

Yes, the Diomede islands have Inupiaq and Yup'iq living there. These are incredibly tough people, and somehow thrive in those conditions.

Very generous people.

Incredibly generous people. They will literally give you the shirt off their back. Much of their diet is whale or subsistence food, meaning they can easily live off the land. But some of the stuff would turn Chuck Norris green. Stuff like stinkfish or giviak. Look 'em up if you dare.

This past week during Rondy the tribal elders were all in town and I was fortunate enough to spend some time with them. Simeon Patkotak is a GOD as far as these people are concerned, and he was so kind and happy. Just all smiles from ear to ear.