When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Quality of replicas

kv1997

Hey there all

I have some 20 replica watches. Nice quality stuff - or so I thought - all purchased with help from this forum with Andrew or Josh. I have always received prompt service from those two gentlemen. What I wanted to hear from the rest of you is whether any of you has had a similar experience.

Within the past few weeks three of my favorite watches - a rolex sea dweller, an ebel chrono, an AP royal offshore - have all stopped working. I cannot wind them. They no longer show the time. I like the looks of all of them but I need the watch to tell the time for me :) I have had the watches less than two years and they have all been getting lots of wear time.

Two questions:

1) What's your general experience with quality of replicas - any dealer that does way better quality than others?

2) Any good tips on getting basic repairs on movements?

Any input appreciated

Cheers

kv

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry to hear of the problems, but, as has been said dozens of times here, the movements in rep watches are used/unserviced & if you plan to keep your watch or need to rely on it, have the movement overhauled by a professional watchmaker upon receipt. Try Ziggy or search your local phone book for a rep-friendly watchmaker. Otherwise, it is just a matter of time.

Absolutely. Any mechanical watch needs oil to work correctly, and these oils evaporate or become sticky gum after 5 years. The movements in these watches have been sitting in a dirty warehouse for god knows HOW long before the watch was built and shipped to you.

So ... locate the closest trustworthy watch smith to your home, and use them. You'll be good to go for another 5 years afterwards.

Every mechanical watch (even gen!!) needs service.

Are these watches Clone or Swiss ETA or Asian 21j movements?

What part of the World are you currently in? That will help us recommend a watch maker to you.

Unfortunately a complete overhaul and servicing can cost as much or more than the rep cost.

You are easily looking at 200 to 400USD to get it properly done. I'm sure some here have a favorite old watchsmith who will do it for less (mine is age 83).

But the old guys are fading fast.

Different repair people have different pricing schedules. A Gen watch would cost you triple those numbers to service, remember.

I don't know who you are paying $400 to service your watch but you might want to look around. The Zig man (one of our finest artisan watch people) will do a complex 7750 chrono for close to your low number .. nowhere near your high number. That's just crazy talk :crazy:

That's just crazy talk

Well, that's pretty insulting talk.

The Zigmeister is is great of course. But he has a waiting list. Sometimes it can be months. He can't be the watch repairman for everyone here.

Over the past six years or so we have seen people other than The Zigmeister offer inexpensive repairs here but they have faded away to put it mildly.

The 200 to 400USD range is what you are going to find in your area in north america and western europe. I'll stick with that prediction. If you can do better locally (I can when he's out of the hospital) go with it.

But don't buy a rep assuming that you can easily get it fixed locally for far under 200USD.

Edited by Carl

very helpful comments, guys. Thanks. I understand the need for servicing. Too bad it manifested itself across so many watches at the same time. I will try and ask my local watch guy what he can do for me and what it would be. Otherwise, I will have to talk to The Zigmeister ;)

I have always upped for the better movement whenever I have had the choice...but, alas, not with as much impact as I had imagined. I should say I have a bunch of gens as well. All of them working like a charm still...

Unfortunately a complete overhaul and servicing can cost as much or more than the rep cost.

You are easily looking at 200 to 400USD to get it properly done. I'm sure some here have a favorite old watchsmith who will do it for less (mine is age 83).

But the old guys are fading fast.

On the contrary. Price is comnpletely dependent upon the person doing it. I get my watches serviced. A FULL servicing of a non-chrono automatic movement is about $40 if no parts are needed. A full servicing of a 7750 is between $45 and $60usd.

I know The Zigmeister is the most saught after modder on the forum, but his prices aren't necessarily the norm throughout the world.

p.s. I often use a very reputable modder on the board and he's always offered me very reasonable prices similar to the ones I stated above

On the contrary. Price is comnpletely dependent upon the person doing it. I get my watches serviced. A FULL servicing of a non-chrono automatic movement is about $40 if no parts are needed. A full servicing of a 7750 is between $45 and $60usd.

I know The Zigmeister is the most saught after modder on the forum, but his prices aren't necessarily the norm throughout the world.

p.s. I often use a very reputable modder on the board and he's always offered me very reasonable prices similar to the ones I stated above

40-60$? Not saying your wrong.. I'd pay up to a 100$ to have my non-chrono watches serviced by someone fairly close and qualified, and I'm sure there are lots of guys that would do the same. I just don't know anyone that fits the bill. To send my watches off to somewhere unknown in Eu and wait a few months..dunno if I would want to do that.

40-60$? Not saying your wrong.. I'd pay up to a 100$ to have my non-chrono watches serviced by someone fairly close and qualified, and I'm sure there are lots of guys that would do the same. I just don't know anyone that fits the bill. To send my watches off to somewhere unknown in Eu and wait a few months..dunno if I would want to do that.

Prices on the forum, are always on a case by case basis, and younever know exactly how much it will be till after service is done, but in general, I have at least 4 options here in spain of People that will service my watch for reasonable prices.

The main problem I see with The Zigmeister (not as a person or member), is that he is one of VERY few modders located in the states that's willing to take on projects. He pretty much runs a monopoly over in north america (not necessarily his prices or anything, but i'm just saying he's one of few in a VERY large country). On the other hand, I've got at least 4 or 5 options right here in spain. I know the Germans have a couple options and I know of at least 2 or 3 italians that can service watches as well.

I won't give anyone a direct quote, but if you're looking for one of the best watch modders on the entire forum, Francisco is one of the best in the rep world :)

The problem these days with all modders is the back-up time.. Contact a few different ones on the forum and see if they've got any openings on their workbench

And there you have it.

It must be a different situation in Eu because the small handfull of qualified watchmakers are in the 300-400 range here in the US with a huge backlog. I wish I was wrong but I've never heard of 60$ movement service anywhere here. I am slowly doing alot of my own work, but it will be a long while before I get to the level of tearing apart ETA's and not ruining them...lol

And there you have it.

It must be a different situation in Eu because the small handfull of qualified watchmakers are in the 300-400 range here in the US with a huge backlog. I wish I was wrong but I've never heard of 60$ movement service anywhere here. I am slowly doing alot of my own work, but it will be a long while before I get to the level of tearing apart ETA's and not ruining them...lol

What do you mean "there you go"?? You were the one that said prices in North America and Europe would be comparable.....

Not sure what dealer you're referring to that charges 300... but that sounds ridiculous bro.

Wempe here in Madrid charges that much for the servicing of a basic Omega caliber.... Exactly who are you getting your watches serviced from?

How long have you been working with watches, and if you had been in the rep world a little longer you would realize that the price of a good service doesn't start at 300usd. Do your research, plenty of modders here on the board that will do great work for a lot less.

The Katt is in the Midwest, and is an outstanding basic watch repair/mod person. He is extraordinarily reasonable and friendly. He is an trusted watchsmith on RWI. Last year he repaired and serviced a Seagull ETA clone for me for $85 shipped and paypal'd .. photo updates, and emails returned cheerfully.

There is a RWG trusted modder/watchsmith in Florida as well. Vacuum!! He is a little mysterious .. replying in one-word cryptology .. but he's very good.

So while in my opinion Zig is the God of forum trusted watchmakers, he's not the only one in North America. Send him your items which require his skills, and justify the use of his time. Send your common repairs to someone with a more open schedule.

Sound reasonable ??

The Katt is in the Midwest, and is an outstanding basic watch repair/mod person. He is extraordinarily reasonable and friendly. He is an trusted watchsmith on RWI. Last year he repaired and serviced a Seagull ETA clone for me for $85 shipped and paypal'd .. photo updates, and emails returned cheerfully.

There is a RWG trusted modder/watchsmith in Florida as well. Vacuum!! He is a little mysterious .. replying in one-word cryptology .. but he's very good.

So while in my opinion Zig is the God of forum trusted watchmakers, he's not the only one in North America. Send him your items which require his skills, and justify the use of his time. Send your common repairs to someone with a more open schedule.

Sound reasonable ??

Great post, I'll have to copy this for future reference!

Sound reasonable ??

Hey jkay!

Thanks! Thats great information, compared to the two dallas watchmakers I talked to(200 and could go higher). I will give Katt a try. My PO just went on the fritz.

Thanks again for the heads up!

Hey jkay!

Thanks! Thats great information, compared to the two dallas watchmakers I talked to(200 and could go higher). I will give Katt a try. My PO just went on the fritz.

Thanks again for the heads up!

That is just robbery. A brand new Swiss ETA 2824 movement for your UPO is $117 *shipped* Who pays double the replacement price to service something.

That is just robbery. A brand new Swiss ETA 2824 movement for your UPO is $117 *shipped* Who pays double the replacement price to service something.

+5,000

The same goes for Carl(edit) and his 300-400 price range. A Swiss Valjoux 7750 can be had brand new from the factory for 300-350usd.

"That is just robbery. A brand new Swiss ETA 2824 movement for your UPO is $117 *shipped* Who pays double the replacement price to service something."

I agree. I posted on another thread about removing an Eta movement from the case and taking the bare movement (without hands and dial) to get it repaired. Many times this will result in a 50% cost reduction while at the same time keeps the word 'replica' out of the conversation.

Good repair guys are few and far between in the USA. I have a friend who works mainly on RR grade US made pocket watches and he spends half his time working on watches and the other half turning down repair jobs. Last RR PW I took to him was gone over 6 months...6 months to get to it and 4 hours to fix it. :animal_rooster: