When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tales from Hanoi

Guest heathen

Guest heathen

A friend and watch enthusiast just returned from Hanoi and seems to have happened upon the replica holy grail. Solid gold rolex watches with gen movements, high-end panny's with gen movements; breitling, cariter and patek too. These are pricey pieces, ranging from $1500 to over $5000, but I doubt if even an AD dismantled them they could tell. Apparently this stuff is a totally separate market to the-and I quote- 'rubbish' sold online. When you read about trademark holders going after counterfeiters it is this ultra high end stuff they are after, the stuff available online isn't a concern as all it does it help scare people into buying from an AD at a much higher price.

A friend and watch enthusiast just returned from Hanoi and seems to have happened upon the replica holy grail. Solid gold rolex watches with gen movements, high-end panny's with gen movements; breitling, cariter and patek too. These are pricey pieces, ranging from $1500 to over $5000, but I doubt if even an AD dismantled them they could tell. Apparently this stuff is a totally separate market to the-and I quote- 'rubbish' sold online. When you read about trademark holders going after counterfeiters it is this ultra high end stuff they are after, the stuff available online isn't a concern as all it does it help scare people into buying from an AD at a much higher price.

I've heard stories but until I can prove it myself, have to call [censored] on this one... Although a trip to Vietnam and I'll happily retract my statement :)

Interesting, there a few of the highend suppliers in Vietnam in fact the most expensive reps & parts are the work of who I believe to be a vietnamese.

The old story about the Daytona which was serviced by Rolex in Texas had a Vietnam origin....Regards, mcotter

Guest heathen

Just a general warning to the membership...

Please no one enter into negotiations to buy one of these watches without solid proof of their existence.

Ken

Allow me to add to that insolent one.

I have no access to such watches, and have no plans to try and get access.

@mcotter there's really no point in feeding the myth.

There must be around 100k members spread across all the boards many of them are on an endless relentless chase for the perfect rep.

I'm sure a great many have looked under every rock in Vietnam, if these watches exist one would think there would have been photographic proof by now.

Not saying it's not true just saying...shows us the money shot.

Ken

Allow me to add to that insolent one.

I have no access to such watches, and have no plans to try and get access.

Excuse me but are you calling me insolent for warning the members not to purchase items without proof of existence?

You do realise I am a moderator?

Ken

Not to be a perpetuator of myth,try: vintagewatchesmq.com.....I believe it's located in VN formerly Saigon. The base locations of NDT & JW may also!

The story about the Daytona/Texas has a number of credible sources on Gen sites....Regards, mcotter

Exactly what are you saying, that you believe those are secret sources?

Members have been buying through those people for years.

We are discussing the OP's claims of watches that are virtually gen, this may or may not be true but we are yet to see them.

Ken

Point of this thread?

Sounds like some ultra-frankens available in Vietnam... We have builders that will build you stuff like that here... Without pictures or proof, there's no point to this thread as it's pure speculation

p.s. KB is just looking out for the well-being of our members

I have no doubt that such pieces exist.

I'd speculate that the reason we "haven't seen them" is rather obvious... The reps we enjoy are made to fool the unwashed. While those sorts of reps are built to convince the establishment. Being bought and sold as imperceptibly genuine makes them part of the gen scene, not the rep scene.

;)

KB, Nope not trying to suggest that the vendors mentioned are secret...Just that some of the most accurate replication work comes from these sources & they happen to be in Vietnam! I know that they build watches that are really above the crowd & charge appropriately. No disrespect to the modders & builders who we interface w/ on this wonderful forum...Regards, mcotter