When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tropic 17 vs Tropic 19 Crystals

panerai153

I'm trying to find out some info about the Tropic 17 and 19 Crystals. According to the rolex reference sheet, the Tropic 17 fits models 5510,6200,6538,7924 and the Tropic 19 fits models 5512,5513,6528A. 6540.

Searching for a Tropic 17, but they seem to be as scarce as "Hens Teeth" and expensive, while the tropic 19 is more readily available. On one of the other Rolex forums, a member stated that the 17 and 19 are interchangable, the 19 is however taller. Is that correct? Are the two the same OD, but the 19 is taller?

Thanks very much,

Freddy,

Thanks very much for the info. Problem with these reps, who knows if the genuine crystal will fit. Not sure what the OD is of the genuine. I've been trying to find a reference that has the OD and ID of Rolex crystals, but thus far to no avail. I suppose the only way is to take this crystal off and use good a good calipher to get the measurements. It's possible that some other crystal would be a closer fit than the T17 for this rep.

Thanks again,

• 4 months later...

I'm trying to find out some info about the Tropic 17 and 19 Crystals. According to the rolex reference sheet, the Tropic 17 fits models 5510,6200,6538,7924 and the Tropic 19 fits models 5512,5513,6528A. 6540.

Searching for a Tropic 17, but they seem to be as scarce as "Hens Teeth" and expensive, while the tropic 19 is more readily available. On one of the other Rolex forums, a member stated that the 17 and 19 are interchangable, the 19 is however taller. Is that correct? Are the two the same OD, but the 19 is taller?

Thanks very much,

The T19 is larger then T17. I have tried to fit it on my 6538(NDT case) but the bezel insert don't fit because it is too tight. The T19 glass fit on 6538A, a military assigned reference...

Here is my 6538 with aftermarket T17 glass

DSCF0025.jpg

Edited by forrestal

I bought a vintage tropic-16 and tropic-17 from Philip on VRF, for my 6536/1 project. The tropic-16 is slightly larger in inside diameter than the tropic-17, which wouldn't press down over my rehaut lip.

Funny thing though, the 6538 bezel I also bought for the project is too large for my 6536/1 retaining ring, even though the crystal is too small. :g:

That must be a CRAZY thick retaining ring on the 6538!

(I still have both parts if anyone is looking)

Since you are talking Tropics.. DW says he installs a Tropic 19 (aftermarket) on the DW Daytonas, but it seems the correct one is a Tropic 21. Are these 2 interchangeable? I've seen that Clark says their 21 is rounded, but all pics I've seen of gen 21's look very angled not rounded.

I was searching for a Tropic 16 for my 6204, but the price, like the price of 6mm + brevet crowns, is absurd. What I found was that Tropic 19 come in different dome shapes. I got a more curved dome Tropic 19 from Clark's and it looks good to me.

Amen, brother. I paid dearly for my gen tropics and brevet crown. But when you're putting something back to "all original" then you gotta do it.

Hey so the kids don't go to college. I can live with that. :animal_rooster:

There are dramatic differences to the dome profiles. I imagine it's like the "dome" vs. "superdome" tropic 19. One's merely nice, and the other makes you lose sleep.

Alright, take the biggest number you know, add $100 and that's your down payment. :animal_rooster:

No, seriously I paid $295 for it, from Philip on VRF about 9 years ago. I'd sell it at a loss, no sense charging someone else for my youthful transgression ("stupidity"). How about $225 and I'll pay the shipping?

No worries, like I said I paid waaaaay too much for it but they're very rare and I knew I could trust the source.

I'm pretty sure I'll still have it, but won't you need a t19 for that 5512?

What I found was that Tropic 19 come in different dome shapes. I got a more curved dome Tropic 19 from Clark's and it looks good to me.

The dome shape difference between the gen t-17 and gen t-16 was remarkable too. I reeeaaaaally wanted that t-17 on my Sub but it just wouldn't fit.

That's good to know that Clark's has a nice dome on their t-19. I'm looking for a better dome than my gen service replacement t-19 for the Snowflake.

• 3 weeks later...

You won't need those gaskets for a 6538 if it uses gen construction... there's no place to put them. It's just a ring that presses down over the crystal.