When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

[Project] Rolex 1680 w/ ETA movement

Biker

Hi everybody,

I'm new here and just start head to vintage Rolex. I'm still learning and need you guys some professional comment.

Here are the specification as shown below;

Middle Case : Aftermarket from DW (tried and sure able to fit 1570)

Back Case : Aftermarket from DW

Bezel : Aftermarket from DW (Aging by myself)

Bracelet : Replica 93150 from China factory

Movement : ETA 2846 movement

Datedisk : Home made By myself

Hands Set : Clarks Hands Set (Aging by myself)

Dial : Aftermarket from DW (Feet cutted and aging by myself)

Crystal : Clarks 250-127

Crown : My own collection

post-28471-0-66287300-1300443133.jpg

post-28471-0-45731500-1300443149.jpg

Edited by Biker

Thanks you guys...

Because of this is my first vintage Rollie project (except the gen one from Phong). So there are a lot of things need to fine tune, for me it's too raw.

1. The bezel aging, it looks okay as I wear it. But when took the picture seems bit "over"...

2. The dial lumne aging not very steady, need to tune the color tone little bright.

3. The datedisc fonts need to be more exquisite (have to find a better material).

4. The word "submarina" is little too small...(the size should fit red letter sub).

I list the photo of datedisc due to some members like to know more..

I modified the original ETA datedisc, burnish the number paint first until see the metal reveal.

Make a perfect template with Adobe Photoshop..

And use the low mil printable membrane and laser print the new rolex fonts on it. Glue on the disc and blow with low heat hair dryer....

Sounds easy but I'd failed many times..I rather pack up bag take a trip to China find a factory next time.

post-28471-0-63993400-1300525075.gif

yeah just a little more from the inside of the CG's.. same angles but just take out some meat from the inside, then you got in nailed.

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

I like the bezel insert too

Hi Dizzy, sorry for silly question. What is CG's...I'm trying to stduy more from RWG.

I planning to start a new project Rolex 1675, hope can start soon...

It looks great...

No need a adaptor ti ETA 2814 movement for that case?

Hi hava, that's good quiz. Of cource does need an adaptor for every ETA in Roloex case.

My uncle (an old watch maker retired from Hong Kong RSC) make a plastic ring for me...but I just know there is RWG member can provide me a adaptor, so I will purchase form him next time instead of bother an old man..

Great use my case make the PERFECT Look very Nice David

Hey Dave,

Thanks for your case..as I said, I'm planning to start a new project 1675. But little busy these days and no time to take picture mail you my movement photo...I'll mail it to you soon.

cg = crown guards.

on your next bezel insert, I'd do more fading and less scratching, it's just my personal preference of course.

It's all I did to my bezel.

I like the way you done to your bezel...look good and natural, more fading is better

let see my next bezel..

Edited by Biker

Very nice project. Your datewheel looks especially nice.:thumbsupsmileyanim:

i have to concur with some of the other members about your insert. To make one really look authentic, all it needs is fading, possibly a couple of tiny scratches. i see a lot of inserts here that are all scratched and that isn't what a normal aged insert looks like. Remember the plexi crystal is higher than the insert, so the crystal is going to take a lot of the licks. i have seen genuine (mine) that had terribly scratched up crystals, but inserts with little or no scratches. Go to some of the genuine vintage rolex forums and look at the watches there for comparison. Some of the inserts are so faded, the numbers are almost illegible, but the insert isn't all scratched up or looks like itt's been sanded down.