When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The end is near....

upland

Huh?

KEI has obtained the February 10, 2011 US government draft of the intellectual property chapter of the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement (TPP).

The text is marked to be "protected from unauthorized disclosure," and the USTR is seeking to classify the document until four years from entry into force or the close of the negotiations. The document has been distributed to all member states particpating in the TPP negotiations, so it is not secret from any of the parties in the negotiations. The document may also be subject to review by the hundreds of corporate insiders who serve on USTR advisory boards. It is, however, secret from the taxpayers and voters who live in the United States, and people everywhere who are going to live under the new norms. In this case, the secret text involves tough new rules for patents, copyright and related rights including broadcaster rights and expressions of folklore, digital rights management information, trademarks, domain names, geographic indicators, regulatory test data for pharmaceutical drugs and agricultural products. There are also more than 15 pages of oblgiations regarding the enforcement of those rights, including criminal sanctions against infringers.

KEI objects to the policy of making the negotiating text of intellectual property agreements secret, particularly when the documents are distributed to all parties in a negotiations, and thus are only secret from the public. The Congress needs to intervene and require that such texts be made public routinely.

Huh?

KEI has obtained the February 10, 2011 US government draft of the intellectual property chapter of the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement (TPP).

The text is marked to be "protected from unauthorized disclosure," and the USTR is seeking to classify the document until four years from entry into force or the close of the negotiations. The document has been distributed to all member states particpating in the TPP negotiations, so it is not secret from any of the parties in the negotiations. The document may also be subject to review by the hundreds of corporate insiders who serve on USTR advisory boards. It is, however, secret from the taxpayers and voters who live in the United States, and people everywhere who are going to live under the new norms. In this case, the secret text involves tough new rules for patents, copyright and related rights including broadcaster rights and expressions of folklore, digital rights management information, trademarks, domain names, geographic indicators, regulatory test data for pharmaceutical drugs and agricultural products. There are also more than 15 pages of oblgiations regarding the enforcement of those rights, including criminal sanctions against infringers.

KEI objects to the policy of making the negotiating text of intellectual property agreements secret, particularly when the documents are distributed to all parties in a negotiations, and thus are only secret from the public. The Congress needs to intervene and require that such texts be made public routinely.

and your concern is?

and your concern is?

1.I don't have a chance to see the document, much less agree on my own, and I'm expected to be bound by it?

2. One of the murderers in holding cell asked me, "What were you arrested for, kid?"

And I said, for"Filesharing" and Rolex from Canal street.

And they all moved away from me on the bench...

1.I don't have a chance to see the document, much less agree on my own, and I'm expected to be bound by it?

2. One of the murderers in holding cell asked me, "What were you arrested for, kid?"

I'm going to hazard a guess, judging by your command of the English language, that you're a lawyer. I trust the words of my builder, my dentist, and my lawyer, and if you're worried, then I'm worried.

Having had a quick skim through the text, I'm not sure how this relates to counterfeit ptoducts, but it shows the future direction of trademark infringement. The OP is right; it's not pretty.

Havign said that, I fell asleep after the fourth page, this document is better than a sleeping pill... :)

Schaize und bananen :)

Scheiße und Bananen! Meine Fresse, du Balkanischen Mensch! :)

Haha peace out to all the Balkan brothers on RWG, I can sense you all, I can smell the Kopus through the Internet connection :)

Edited by subbiesrock

I'm not a lawyer but from the document all I could see are cross board agreements to allow the copyright/patent owners to enforce their rights in a more equalized manner. In other words, if a copyright owner finds Chinese nationals making tons of profit by counterfeiting their goods, devaluating their brand, the Chinese government would be bound by this agreement to provide for civil and criminal prosecution of the parties involved.

In practice this agreement will extend the protections already in place in the US and Europe to Asian countries that are responsible for the majority of the infringements. That's a condition to extend trade agreements.

Buying a watch from Canal St or even receiving a watch from a counterfeit exporter (e.g. dealer) does not characterize you as an importer because the volume and profit (?) your are making are negligible.

Agreements like that will not nullify existing laws. You won't go to jail for buying a replica. Calm down. :)