When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2mm Lug Holes and Bars

BGGodwin

This is possible to do with a press.

Let me preface that I am not a machinist by any means, nor do I have much drilling experience.

I used Irwin precision bits bought at the local Ace hardware store.

I bought 3 bits, smaller to larger, a #57, a #56, and a #55.

I started by drilling all the holes with the smallest bit, the #57, then worked my way till the #55 irwin bit.

I've read plenty on drilling, and everyone says use LOW speeds.

Well, my friends drill was broken and it could not drill slow, just fast.

So, I just advanced the bit slowly, backed it off to let it cool, advanced it slowly, backed off to cool, etc.

No broken bits.

I also choked up on the bit so there was only enough bit extending from the chuck to pierce the lug.

I also made a jig to hold the case.

I DID NOT mount the case super tightly in the jig, just firmly.

This was because the holes are already there, and the drill would line itself up.

It you mount the case tight and it is off slightly, you could end up with crooked holes.

finish them off with a slight chamfer with a larger sized bit, i did this by hand.

dscn2346h.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As far as spring bars, you want them to look like this.

ofrei has the nicest I have seen so far.

they should be 2mm in diameter at their thickest point, search for them this way.

NOTE: the MBK does not accept the 2mm spring bars, you will have to drill those too!

dscn2171o.jpg

Edited by cht

i agree- go from smaller bit up to required size

lug chew happens when you try and go for required size hole straight off- reduce the chance of this by reducing bit size for initial drilling and then increase.

i have done tis by hand- no jig needed- simply sit the case on a table or workbench and hold in place with one hand and carefully drill (level ) with the other.

if needed you can rotate drill in circular motion (keeping level) to get hole slightly larger.

I would be interested in a comment from those that know as to how this springbar which we get actually fits into the scheme of things?

Is this one close in your eyes guys?

http://watchbitz.com.au/shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=308

Offshore

It's more expensive?

:)

Just kidding, I haven't seen that one before but it looks the same or very similar.....are the ends rounded?

It's more expensive?

:)

Just kidding, I haven't seen that one before but it looks the same or very similar.....are the ends rounded?

We sell it with forum discount @$6.00 ATM. However if there is some demand and we can sell a reasonable quantity, the price can drop pretty dramatically!

The ends are rounded, but I wouldn't call them domed.

O/S