When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

QC pics for Rolex Vintage Explorer II "Orange Hand"

justlounging

The folded bracelet is accurate, yes ... but ... why is he still selling the OLD stock of bad dials? It's been almost a year since they fixed how the markers should touch the rehaut.

Unless Angus sells a different EII than the newest cartel version?

This is the same as mine (and same dealer) and the markers touch the rehaut... Had to lume and varnish the dial myself though, as this comes lumeless and gloss finish.

DSCN3598.jpg

[Edit to add]

I forgot to say, when it arrived, the 24hr hand was quite pale, but a dab of marker pen sorted that :victory:

Edited by TeeJay

Yes, since you mention it, Angus was one of the several dealers first called "the cartel" but he's not normally referred to as such nowadays in a casual manner.

Go to Perfect Clones and look at the latest Explorer release. Available in ETA or a21j for as low as $128, in white OR aged dial colors.

Ask Angus (or his helpers) to source the watch with the better dial. Or not! Its up to you, of course.

The watch in your pic looks to be a little bit too thick (maybe because of the crystal), and there is the outer dial marker problem. The outer marker position is not perfectly accurate to original but one thing it has going for it is you are less likely to scratch the luminous material off when R/R the movement. Many genuine 1655 have chipped outer markers because they are so close to the case.

Here are some figures on a genuine (1971/72) 1655 from a post I put on TRC in November 2006. I know you can not tell how close the watch really is until it arrives but here are the measurements for when it does:

The genuine watch case is 38.25mm wide measured from the underside between the 8 and 20 hour marks on the bezel.

Bezel OD is 37.95mm (probably closer to 38mm when new).

The bezel is a bit wider than the case on the genuine watch on the 9 o'clock side.

The bezel and case are even on the genuine watch at 4 and 8.

The genuine watch is 26.25mm wide across the lugs at the center of the springbar holes measured from the underside.

Overall thickness is 13.4mm with a used crystal and has a 6.0mm crown.

The genuine watch has a silver date wheel with black letters and a 'no dot' sweep second hand.

Centers of the springbar holes are 5.7mm from the mid case on the genuine watch (measured from where the lug and rounded case band merge together).

Same springbars as a submariner.

note:

This watch has been worn a lot but not polished and the crystal looks good but I have polished it a couple times for the owner over the years. I doubt the polishing removed more than a few .00 mm.

The original owner priced it to me for $750 years ago and I did not snatch it up. He will not sell it now and he has a goofball kid who will pawn it for $200 (or less) the day after he drops under the radar. :animal_rooster:

Thanks all for the advice..i have informed Angus on the inaccuracies and hope he'll source and QC a better piece..

I know the mentioned issues can be sorted out with aftermarket parts but since Angus stated his as the best out of box, i'll put it to the test..

As the watch Angus showed you has drilled lugs, how about buying both his watch, the one I showed, and then performing a dial/movement transplant? Of course, if Angus can source you one which has the lugs drilled and a good dial (hopefully even with factory-applied Lume, as that'll save you a modification to do ) then go for it :victory: