When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What to do with new movement?

omgiv

Hi Guys,

I just got a watch that has a Valjoux 726 movement in it and was wondering what I should do with it. I already have a 6263 with a Valjoux 72 movement (which I love). I was hoping to do a 6239 after seeing so many great builds. I had been looking at Valjoux 72 movements, but surprisingly won a 726 instead. The purist in me wants to take out the 72 in my 6263 and transplant the 726 into it and use the Valjoux 72 for the 6239. That is a lot of work and The Zigmeister did great work on my 6263. I was hoping to do most of the work on the 6239 project myself. Would you keep everything as is and use the 726 in a 6239 or would you go through all of the trouble? Thanks!!!!

The 726 is indeed a 21,600 bph movement. I honestly think that it would be more trouble than it is worth to swap the movements out. There will probably be more errors with it in the end that the wrong movement will be the least troubling. Plus, the only one that would probably know would be me :).

I would definitely put the V726 in the 6263 and the V72 in the 6239 build, after all they are their individual correct base calibers.

Of course you would probably be the only one to know/notice but then again isn't that what this hobby is all about?

I understand why one would not necessarily strictly want to go for a V726 in a 6263/6265 build, but since you got both and both your watches would be incorrect in the movement area if you decided not to do the swap makes this quite an easy decision imho.

Will do Freddy. Thanks for the recommendation. I was quite surprised that I won it. I was the only one that bid on it. We'll see if it was a good move when I get it.

I was watching the auction as well. I think the reason for the relatively low price was a combination of:

- undesirable case shape for gen collectors

- relatively high starting price

- 726 movement not first choice for hard core rep builders

- the guy putting a link to yukiwatch on his listing :black_eye:

Nevertheless I was surprised by the low bids as well. Good Score.

I would definitely put the V726 in the 6263 and the V72 in the 6239 build, after all they are their individual correct base calibers.

Thanks for the recommendation!!! I have a feeling that this will happen in the end. i just have to muster up the energy and courage to do it :)

I was watching the auction as well. I think the reason for the relatively low price was a combination of:- undesirable case shape for gen collectors- relatively high starting price- 726 movement not first choice for hard core rep builders- the guy putting a link to yukiwatch on his listing :black_eye: Nevertheless I was surprised by the low bids as well. Good Score.

I was a little concerned about the auction myself until I saw the movement pics. That is what made me throw in a bid, but I didn't think I would be the only one to do it. I will be interested to see how much the watch that looks the same ends up selling for.