When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ST8080GB doppio tourbillon !

gran

Sea-Gull ST8080GB doppio tourbillon! too much good???

Mpic_20092111511258.jpg

pic_20092111512764.jpg

oro bianco

D:41mm H:12,6

It is reportedly very very expensive this ST8080GB double tourbillon but I think it the different looking tourbs borders on ugly

ref:

http://www.europastar.com/magazine/highlights/1004082674-tianjin-sea-gull-watch.html

http://www.seagullwatch.com/cn/product_detail.asp?productid=200

http://forum.animaguzzista.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18287&hilit=chicca&start=1280

whats the function of the second tourby since one tourby is supposed to counteract gravity by itself?

It is not for accuracy it is to unique and collectable = expensive

Truth is that even the tourbillon is not really that effective against gravity and yes two of these are not going to improve matter much if at all. It is just more complicated and thus maybe less reliable in the long run.

maybe they're trying to copy Philip Dufour's Duality watch.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/125316/thread/1019602360/Ron+DeCorte+on+Dufour%27s+Duality

It seem they are not must be some totally other idea than Philip Dufour they copying...anyhow it is a totally different setup as the Dufor Duality is not a tourbillion at all (but double escapemt yes)

It is too much, but the chinese making a statement here, 2 types of tourbies.

Its more a showcase as to how the chinese have evolved in micro mechanics.

true :drinks:

It is not for accuracy it is to unique and collectable = expensive

Truth is that even the tourbillon is not really that effective against gravity and yes two of these are not going to improve matter much if at all. It is just more complicated and thus maybe less reliable in the long run.

Well if it is set up properly the two balances will sync with each other and in theory half any error same as the rare double pendulum clocks

But I bet that setup is a pig to get right and I don't think many hobbyist will be playing with it. Not that Cheri either I don't think.

A true double Tourby movement selling under 2k USD (assuming I did the Yuan / USD conversion properly...)?

That is a shot across the bow of the big name Swiss brands.

The trade name may leave a lot to be desired.. But a true double Tourby under 2k? You got my attention. :D

a shot at high end swiss watches? never!!! The finishing and polishing that defines the high end swiss market. A tourbillon complication is actually an easy one to execute. But making a beautiful looking tourbillon is the hardest thing you can possibly do. The physics and technicalities of making a watch is actually not that hard to learn. I mean, classical physics was practically done by the 1800s. High end Watchmaking is where art and skills come to play and harmoniously combine. I'd rather save up my money and get a vintage patek.

This is the legendary ref. 96 worth about $4-10k depending on condition =D

9721-9.jpg

9721-4.jpg

Edited by praetor

I agree with the previous posters that it is both a statement and an exercise.

It's a statement from a watchmaking industry that has mastered what it thinks is important in watchmaking, but has no clue as yet.

It's kind of a bleeding chunk modeled after Patek, but Patek would never create such a thing. A tourby, sure, but something much more subdued, without the tourby(s) even visible from the front.

As an exercise, it would be nice to hear from Sea Gull about their intention with this watch, and what they expect it to meet in terms of performance. I'd like to know more about that.

@Praetor... I think this is more of a "Start" than an end all, be all...

What other Double Tourby is on the market in the lower end of the price market? 2k is roughly entry level Swiss... Even with some rough finish, it is an impressive feat, that much you must admit. Certainly I'd snag the Patek over a Seagull given my druthers, but that is not quite a fair comparison.

Look at some of the super reps on the market... Virtual ties in quality with watches selling for 20x and up... The Chinese watch industry could gain some serious ground with tech like this if they got some designers to make new watches rather than clones and homages.

I get the odd feeling the next few decades will be interesting. :thumbsupsmileyanim: