When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

MBW Vintage GMTs

TJGladeRaider

I have two MBW Vintage GMT's that need to be put back together.

These seem weird to me.

First, instead of crystals that press down over the rehaut to be held in by a retaining ring, these have press in platic crystals with plastic gaskets.

Second, the bezel assembly has a wire spring in it - what's up with that?

Third, the crystal looks a lot like the 127 top hat - which looks silly to me on these watches.

Fourth, the inserts (which I cannot find) glue in.

Would I be better off to send this to a watch smythe in the US (recommendations??) or just sell them as is to someone wanting a project. The crown guards look pretty good according to the real ones I've seen.

Thanks,

Bill

post-223-0-10069100-1303249666.jpg

I have two MBW Vintage GMT's that need to be put back together.

These seem weird to me.

First, instead of crystals that press down over the rehaut to be held in by a retaining ring, these have press in platic crystals with plastic gaskets.

Second, the bezel assembly has a wire spring in it - what's up with that?

Third, the crystal looks a lot like the 127 top hat - which looks silly to me on these watches.

Fourth, the inserts (which I cannot find) glue in.

Would I be better off to send this to a watch smythe in the US (recommendations??) or just sell them as is to someone wanting a project. The crown guards look pretty good according to the real ones I've seen.

Thanks,

Bill

Also, they don't say anything at all between the lugs.

They were not even a little bit waterproof, which is what caused me to take them apart and try to figure out the problem. They'd cloud up on a rainy day.

Bill

Bezel assembly is not similar to gen...

I think you should refinish the dial and sell it for a project...

Probably the best idea - I actually have three genuine Swiss 2836 GMTs for parts, but two are in these MBW cases, and one is in a Cartel case. Only two of them have the correct dial without the "date" on them. Sooner or later, someone will need some parts.

Bill

Yep, I agree, especially since these things are MBWs.

Since people have a certain perception about MBWs that these things simply don't meet, and never did, I don't think they ought to be in circulation.

Frankly, it looks to me like they just sourced some parts and cobbled these things together to trade on their name.

Since the real Swiss ETA 2836 GMT vs the clone 2836 GMT is a about a $100 difference, and all things genuine ETA are becoming harder to source, they are probably worth holding onto wouldn't you think? The two dials without the "date" seem to be pretty good from what people say.

Anyway, they'll be right at home with all this other stuff I have saved.

New in the box Singer 1680 MBW dial anyone?

Bill

"First, instead of crystals that press down over the rehaut to be held in by a retaining ring, these have press in plastic crystals with plastic gaskets."

I have seen these before...they use cases made for MG or sapphire crystals and install flat side acrylic crystals with plastic gaskets. The plastic gaskets are used so they can use acrylic crystals that are close to the same OD as the MG/sapphire crystals intended for this case in order to allow room for the bezel insert. Without using a plastic gasket, the acrylic crystal would be too big in diameter to allow the bezel insert to fit down over the crystal.

"Frankly, it looks to me like they just sourced some parts and cobbled these things together to trade on their name."

It is a quick and dirty substitute for the proper type of case.

Otoh, the case will still be Ok to use with a gasket and sapphire crystal to make a modern type watch and the spring wire bezel gives very little trouble.

Many of these cases accept 31.4mm OD gaskets with 30.5mm crystals. Sapphire crystals and gaskets this size are used in many replicas.

"First, instead of crystals that press down over the rehaut to be held in by a retaining ring, these have press in plastic crystals with plastic gaskets."

I have seen these before...they use cases made for MG or sapphire crystals and install flat side acrylic crystals with plastic gaskets. The plastic gaskets are used so they can use acrylic crystals that are close to the same OD as the MG/sapphire crystals intended for this case in order to allow room for the bezel insert. Without using a plastic gasket, the acrylic crystal would be too big in diameter to allow the bezel insert to fit down over the crystal.

"Frankly, it looks to me like they just sourced some parts and cobbled these things together to trade on their name."

It is a quick and dirty substitute for the proper type of case.

Otoh, the case will still be Ok to use with a gasket and sapphire crystal to make a modern type watch and the spring wire bezel gives very little trouble.

Many of these cases accept 31.4mm OD gaskets with 30.5mm crystals. Sapphire crystals and gaskets this size are used in many replicas.

Thank you very much for that information!

Bill