When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help with 5517 build

milesd

So I've started my 5517 build. I've purchased the 5517 from Josh (http://www.1-pc8838.com/rlsv01002-vintage-5517-military-submariner-asia-2836-p-7699.html), a set of SM300 vintage hands, yuki pearl, ETA2846 and NDT dial. I plan to have the hands and pearl relumed. I also plan to have the stock rep lug bars replaced. I'm VERY new when it comes to Rolex, so if these are stupid questions, please forgive me. Here are my questions:

1. For the 5517, is the Tropic 19 the correct crystal? Josh says it will fit the gen crystal, but has anyone tried with this case?

2. Is a gen crown needed? I've heard that some reps have crowns that are WAY to large. Here are some QC pics from the watch I ordered:

5517.jpg

Does this crown look okay?

Also, if I do get a gen crown, the real crown for the 5517 is 24-702 which seem to be VERY expensive:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=rolex+24-702

I'm also having a hard time justifying the price. What is the difference between that crown and the ones you can find on eBay with a gen crown and tube for around $100 like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rolex-Submariner-7mm-Watch-Crown-Tube-16800-Part-/330557197919?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf6be8e5f#ht_1057wt_907

Are they visually the same?

Thanks!

Edited by milesd

Rep cases vary quite a bit, but they generally tend to be a bit too big so either the dial has empty space around it or it falls right through. Because of the lack of consistency (& standardization) among rep cases, you cannot tell how your dial will fit until you try it out.

Hey miles- cool project! I'm anxious to see more pics of this watch and case. Particularly because the 5517 is a military 5513, but from the pics on Josh's site, it looks like a Sea Dweller case - the thicker case, the bezel profile. . . Also from Josh's pics the case gasket is on the case, not the back which isn't correct.

As far as the crowns go - keep in mind the 702's you found are new in unopened blisters. You can find used ones for less than half that. Keep your eye's open around here and you can do even better. The second crown you linked to is a 704. . .if it's even gen. 700, 702, and 703 crowns all have a crimped stainless steel shell over a brass body. This is very evident when you view the crown from the stem side. The bottom edge of all the "teeth" have an indent down the center. The 704 and all rep crowns are machined from a solid piece of SS and look very clean and finished from the stem side. There are big differences in the style of the coronet between vintage crowns and modern ones.

Spareparts015.jpg

FWIW, the dial opening on my 5512 from Josh is 26mm and the recess in the case is 26.25mm

Edited by cjjoyce1

I'm normally a Panerai guy myself when it comes to reps. However when JAG put his 5517, built by this forum's best artists, on the market, I just had to have it. With a quick search, you can find better pics of this actual watch from the master builder himself. Hope these pics help you with your build:

P1000010.jpg

P1000008.jpg

P1000007.jpg

P1000006.jpg

P1000003.jpg

K: Your 5517 is in a good home with lots of friends:

P1000001.jpg

milesd,

A tropic 25-19 is the correct crystal. I have a MBK 5513 and thought the rep crystal looked fine but the the gen has a sharpness that the rep just can't match. Worth the cost and effort IF it'll fit.