When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My 1016 is finished

dutchguy2

This is my first project so be gentle LOL.

The rolex Explorer was always my favorite Roles besides the SD. Its simpleness, less is more appeals to me. So first i bought one from Narikaa. Allthough very nice and a lot of bang for the buck I was not satisfied. I could blame LHOOQ for that, his posts on the forums about the 1016 made me want more.

So I ordered a good dial, best dial available at that time was the Space-Dweller dial. I bought a very nice case from a fellow forumer based on a 16200. Also bought a 2846 slow beat. The hard part was/is to find decent hands to match the ivory color of the dial indexes (if any one can point me out to decent hands for ETA please let me know)

Since I'm just an enthuesastic hobbyist and not a watchmaker I made some stupid (mostly inpatience) mistakes but all in all I'm sattisfied with the result alltough I wand different hands on it.

Here are some pics.

c75a06f2.jpg

41e7eae9.jpg

144db6d9.jpg

a0b677bd.jpg

Any suggestions for a bracelet?

Very nice, especially for your first build - congrats! :thumbsupsmileyanim: Martin is generally a bad influence and has had a hand in the corruption of more than one poor soul so don't feel lonesome! :rofl:

Very nice, especially for your first build - congrats!

Ditto.

If you are going to keep that bracelet on the watch, I would brush finish the edges of the links to remove the shine. That looks wrong.

Or, if you can deal with the springbar issue (search for Yuki bracelet & springbars), replace it with Yuki's 7206 or 7836, either of which will greatly improve the authenticity of an already nice watch.

+1 for nice job on a first build.

I wonder if a very very light tea stain on the hands would get you closer to the ivory of you dial.

Freddy has some good bracelet suggestions, but your existing bracelet looks close to a 78360 which would also be correct for the later model 1016's. These watches were produced up until around 1990- kind of like the 5513- those simple watches had good runs. So after 1976 or so, a 78360 would be a correct bracelet.

Sly, I thought something about it looked familiar! :thumbsupsmileyanim: I think y'all have pushed me over the edge and I'm going to break down and start prepping and scrounging and build one for myself. :whistling:

Beautiful build! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

This is the first time I've seen the white-lumed Space-Dweller dial, and it's a beauty. I hope you can take a few closeup shots, so I can get a better look at the ivory shade of white you're talking about.

J, you need to build one soon... but not just yet! :whistling:

Beautiful build! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

This is the first time I've seen the white-lumed Space-Dweller dial, and it's a beauty. I hope you can take a few closeup shots, so I can get a better look at the ivory shade of white you're talking about.

J, you need to build one soon... but not just yet! :whistling:

Thank you.

Yes the white dial is a great, it is exactly that what I wanted. Unfortinately I damaged the dial a little with instalation, there is a tiny spot just under the W where the pant is damaged.

At the moment I'm only capable to make iPhone pics, this is the best I can do att:

4a44e63e.jpg

Any comments on this one that Silix sells? How close is it to the gen?

It looks like the same one that Trusty Time sells for $248. It's a very good out-of-the-box rep, second only to the more expensive and harder-to-source MBK 1016. The positives of the Silix/Trusty rep is a good dial, a reliable movement, and drilled lugholes. The downsides? Lugholes are in the wrong place (too high), and -since it's based on the common Datejust rep- crystal/bezel dimensions are off. However, with some effort you can replace the crystal with a better-looking Tropic 19. As far as I know, If You See Kay is the only one who has done this properly.