When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1655 Belzel removal

sishac

Hi all - I bought a new clark 116 crystal for my 1655 and I'm having trouble removing the bezel. Can anyone give me any suggestions here. I would think that I just need to run a thin knife blade around the base of the bezel and eventually it would wedge itself in, but nothing of the sort? This bezel comes off, but how? Suggestions???

Thanks - Tom

Sometimes, you have to use a glass scraper (razor blade in a safety handle) to break the bead of crud or glue that may be keeping the knife blade from wedging between the bezel & case. In some instances, it can take 15-20 minutes of wedging the razor blade around the perimeter before you can get a thin knife blade in.

I use a blade from a utility knife. Tap it gently into the crack between bezel and case, working your way around the perimeter.

Wear gloves. :ph34r:

C26464.jpg

This will also remove tight crystal retaining rings.

Gloves? :shock: What happened to your usual go-at-em-blind-with-a-sledge-hammer approach?

Ah, you misunderestimated me. Sorry 'bout that. I didn't mean for protection against cuts, no no no.

I meant wear gloves so your hands don't slip on the axe handle. It's easy to miss.

drat_i_missed.jpg

:shock:

Awesome!!

I also have a 1655 turning into a 1675... just ordered the 1675 bezel set and retainer from Yuki. I tried to get the 1655 bezel off and its on there TIGHT. There is absolutely ZERO gap to get a razor blade into... I tired the usual methods and nothing. I've got a new t-116 coming so Im going to use my crystal press to press out the factory crystal. Hopefully that works. If not then im going to TORCH the plexi and melt it and then the bezel will fall right off...

post-6336-0-72585800-1305111752.jpg