When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Stark yellow hour markers

alterego

The question can sound a little off beat when you read so many posts about poople spending a lot of time and money to get the right dial or case for their ambitious projects. One day I may be among them but now I'd like to know if someone has found a way to soften those intense yellow markers and hands found in some reps. I own a 1675 GMT that is very nice, bought from a reputed dealer. I love the watch, but those yellow cab like hour markers make me crazy !!!

can someone share experience or ideas about it .

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Cheers !!!

Before:

josh-5508.jpg

After:

5510JB-1-2.jpg

I hold a burning cigarette very close to the markers until I get rid off the yellow color, then I toast the dial and ad a coat of clear matt varnish.

On this particular one I also blew some cigarette smoke in a tall glass and flipped it over the dial so the smoke would settle on it and then toasted it one more time (that's when the markers really got burned).

Here another pic (the markers on the 6538 were just as yellow before):

BCP-2-2.jpg

Hidure. Donerix:

Thank you for the tip. I never thought about that process. It' will be an exciting weekend smoking Meharis little cigars for a good cause. I'll post results with before and after pics.

Cheers !!!

Before:

josh-5508.jpg

After:

5510JB-1-2.jpg

I hold a burning cigarette very close to the markers until I get rid off the yellow color, then I toast the dial and ad a coat of clear matt varnish.

On this particular one I also blew some cigarette smoke in a tall glass and flipped it over the dial so the smoke would settle on it and then toasted it one more time (that's when the markers really got burned).

Here another pic (the markers on the 6538 were just as yellow before):

BCP-2-2.jpg

I put an NDT 5508 dial on the window sill in the sun for a month and it bleached it out fairly well- to a much lighter yellow. I've also used tea to stain a dial and also some light brown paint as a wash.

Of course, a relume in a vintage white/ivory is the cat's meow, IMO.

Good to know that I am not the only one that does that. I have three dials laid on the edge of my bedroom window, getting sun-tanned everyday. i would check the color almost everyday for the past 9 months so far..:drinks: None of those dials however turned tropical.