When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Panerai PAM 312 / 328 Rep Vs Gen Pictorial Review ...

wheaton26

thanks for the comments guys. i purchased this 328 for the sole purpose of an rwg side by side review. i do not plan on keeping this so please keep an eye open for a sales post over the next couple of days. besides the movement / caseback, the biggest tell for me is the crown guard and lever. the crown guard seems to be a little bigger and the "reg. t.m." font is definitely wrong. the actual lever can be reshaped to look a little more gen like, but i don't trust myself to attempt mods. other than that, this version is very impressive! as a few have mentioned (and my dealer has confirmed), there is an ultimate version in the works. but we all know how that goes ... it could be months away and some things will be better and some will be worse. if you're on the fence, i wouldn't hesitate for the money. all the best.

Hey C.... got a question for you. The pics you have show that this is a sandwich dial, and yet all of Angus' pics show sausage dials on his site. Also, did you buy the 312 and ask for the 328 bracelet for it?

Thanks!

Hey C.... got a question for you. The pics you have show that this is a sandwich dial, and yet all of Angus' pics show sausage dials on his site. Also, did you buy the 312 and ask for the 328 bracelet for it?

Thanks!

hey buddy, i'm not sure which model you are looking at, but it's clearly a sandwich dial in the close up pics. i purchased mine as the 328 ... the only difference between the two is the series numbers on he caseback. i simply wanted to try the bracelet and that was the cheapest way to do it. personally, i don't think this modern bracete suits the 1950's case. see below a quick pic from my sales post. all the best!

DSC02593.jpg

Did anyone else notice that finishing between the lugs looks better on the rep?

Wheaton26's 328 just came in, I'm going to do a photo session this weekend and post pics addressing some of the issues people have discussed, watch out for it in the PAM section ;)

Having said that, the case finish is excellent, I am genuinely impressed with these latest offerings :)

Edited by subbiesrock
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Did anyone else notice that finishing between the lugs looks better on the rep?

I wouldn't say that within earshot of Wheaton... ;)

5 seconds of sun... Can't ask for more. It shines all the way until the morning. The rep makers have the formula cracked, aside from the movement.

5a808d35.jpg

Hi mate...

Great thread... :thumbsupsmileyanim: I enjoyed reading it..

Thanks for taking the time and making such a great effort... :drinks:

Much appreciated :thumbsupsmileyanim:

• 4 weeks later...

Noob here with some noob questions. Couple of questions about Wheaton’s PAM 312. Was the 312 purchased from Josh or from Angus? It seems like he purchased it from Angus, but I could be wrong. Or does it really matter? The PAM 312 that Josh sells is pretty much the same as the one Angus sells right? Also, unless I’m mistaken, both the 312 from Josh and Angus aren’t superlumed, correct? I have three Lum-Tec watches that glow like crazy, so I’m kind of picky about lume. Does either Angus or Josh provide the option of adding superlume to the watch for an extra cost before shipping? I’ve never ordered from either Angus or Josh before, but I look forward to purchasing a PAM 312 from one of them in a few days.

• 3 months later...

There are some reps that are "scary good".this is one of them Imo.

If this rep had better ar I would not have a clue.

Same for the caseback..If not for the In-house..would not have clue....I also feel the reps rotor looks better...seems the logo and print look more defined...but that could be due to glare/angle/etc.

Thanks for the side by side Wheaton...very well done.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Not bad at all:) , is it just my eye`s , or gen lume is slightly more blue than rep lume if charged?

A touch different, but not noticeable when separated.

In response to a previous post, the AR is single-sided, but not quite as effective as the gen.

Incidentally, both these points are nitpicky, there are far more obvious tells. Importantly, they're easily solved :)

Do you mind sharing them with us?

Of course mate :) that's what we're here for :)

1. The shape of the head of the CG lever

- I haven't really bothered yet, but you can easily reshape it

2. The position of the date wheel, the A7750 position is different

- not much to do, but it's not so noticeable without vernier calipers.

3. The movement

- not much to do about that, but the rotor replication is very good

The AR is quite good in person, and the lume is o the 'super' variety and very long-lasting, hence my comments that there are other bigger tells.