When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Galaxy Tab

I am a member at other forums that would seem like a better option for asking about this, but I figure I may get more impartial opinion here. So...

Anyone using a Galaxy Tab? What do you think? I'm particularly interested in your experience with battery life and media playback. But would love to hear your opinions on the pros and cons as well.

FYI, i'm not interested in hearing about the iPad as an option only perhaps as a point of reference to the galaxy.

Thanks.

Yes I have one (I have an iPad too). This is the original Galaxy Tab, they have some new ones in the works.

I think it's quite nifty, the iPad is great, but this is more portable and practical. Plus it was way cheap, it's a lot of gear for the money.

The battery is good, just keep an eye on GPS running and so on. Better cameras than iPad2, but not great or anything. Screen is 1024 x 600 (not size suggested above), so actually has better pixel density than the iPad.

Apple has better apps than Android (especially more HD ones), but you can get under the hood and tinker, which Apple won't let you do.

NO FUCKING ITUNES is a massive plus. :lol:

Has 16Gb memory, and can accept SD cards to increase that easily. Plays TV shows well (see no iTunes above!). Can do a lot of flash as well.

Comes with satnav software, at least it did for me.

Also it's kind of a giant phone, which has comedy value as well.

Downside is that screen size and no honeycomb may mean it won't run all upcoming tablet apps. But has media playing, internet, email, sat nav and so on all covered.

• 2 weeks later...

I have one, bought it after I sold my first iPad. It sits on my night stand and is used mostly as an alarm clock. Occasionally use it as an eReader or to play Angry Birds, but thats about it. Even with it overclocked and running a custom ROM its just a li'l too clunky. Apps scale up well for it so no honeycomb really isn't an issue, but the size of it while good is a little too redundant with my phone.

I've gotten an iPad 2 since then, which I use for reading blogs (Flipboard) and most casual web browsing around the house and I just got a new Nook (B&W Touch), so the Tab doesn't see much action anymore.

Plus side, there are refurbed 3G units for $350 without contract - stick to those vs the WiFi only version because the WiFi only version new is the same price but has a slower processor, crappier bluetooth, and some other downsides. At this price and size you may also want to consider a Nook Color which can be hacked to be pretty full featured and has a big dev community behind it.

I wanna like the 7in form factor and I thought it would be a good companion for my Air... but it just doesn't quite 'fit in' with all my gadgets.

• 2 months later...

The std rom from Samsung is a bit crap.

Less than a 10min job to root and install a custom ROM and KERNEL

Xda developers best forum for messing with the tab.

Just customise it to how u want it.

02675a7a-494f-bcca.jpg

_____

Mustang GT300 (500HP Roushcharged

Sent from Samsung Tab…

Just got mine last night. So far it is great! Decided on it based on the specs, mostly the I/O sold it for me. It is true no 3G but bluetooth tethering to another phone is not far away.

Just got mine last night. So far it is great! Decided on it based on the specs, mostly the I/O sold it for me. It is true no 3G but bluetooth tethering to another phone is not far away.

The USB/Bluetooth connectivity options of this Tablet is amazing.......so far I have connected:

- my Dell Bluetooth KB/Mouse + Motorola HD Bluetooth Headphones - no drivers needed

- all of my USB drives + USB 4Port HUB

- Tested USB KB/Mouse - work (no drivers required)

Others:

- connected to my Vizio 55" LED/LCD via HDMI.....magical

- SD slot well positioned and easy access (swap all my Camera SD for quick reviews - the built in File Manager is a charm!:thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: )

No need for stinkin 3G....wireless is all I need! It's "ubiquitous"!

Just customise it to how u want it.

02675a7a-494f-bcca.jpg

This is exactly why I like the iPad. That dog's dinner probably gives the Tab a two-hour battery life.

On a forum dedicated to replicas, you must realise that this mess is of Samsung's making. Ok, they've entertained me greatly by calling on Kubrick's 2001 as prior art, but still …

Oh, and I really wanted the HP TouchPad to survive and thrive. Competition is a good thing; copying isn't.