When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Impossible to counter sink the crown tube.

Robaer

I've run into a small problem.

The existing crowntube is located very low on my MBW 5513. If I even try to counter sink it, the hole will break through the back of the case.

What do I do now? should I just screw down the tube as deep as it goes and just leave it?

Do all the MBW watches have some variance in crown height?

No problem with my mbw watches. I got an old school 1665 and 16610 and a newer 1680 all with good or super crown heights.

Carpe Diem

Cats

Ditto. All of mine were acquired back when Maria was running the shop and NONE have had any crown issues - I put gen crowns on everything I intend to keep.

Are you sure that the watch you have is an MBW? I ask because, unlike the old days when MBWs were the only thing out there with gen construction, there are a lot of watches floating around out there that could be misrepresented as MBWs.

Bill

Yes I'm sure. I've had the case a couple of years now.

It's from Paso iirc. My other MBW 5513 has a slightly higher crown position, almost in the center of the case.

The gen sits just above the center and almost all MBW sit just below the center. It's a very easy tell imo, if you see a photo from the right angle.

It's just that on this case the crown position is so low that there is no material left to counter sink the hole.

I've got the perfect tube for what you need. It's a brand new WM9 tube that fits a gen 703 crown. The good part is that the inner threads are a smaller diameter than a gen tube so it will screw into a case without breaking through the bottom.

Cheers,

JJ

That sounds interesting. But does that mean the WM9 tube will not fit a gen sized case hole?

Sounds like it.

Gen hole size is 3.0mm x .35. The .35mm is the thread pitch. Don't know what WM9 size is. The next common size smaller is 2.5mm x .20 which is what Rolex uses on the 5.3mm crowns for DJs and GMTs, etc. 2.5mm x .25 is another possibility.

Old MBWs have a smaller hole size- I broke off a tap trying to enlarge one once. The proper way to do it is drill the smaller hole with a 2.65mm drill bit and then run the 3.0mm tap thru it.

some cases are better than others, no two reps have the exact same finishing in my experience. when i go shopping there is a short list of things i check for in terms of consistency and tolerances. if you put two mbk cases side by side youll notice differences even in the beveling on the case and even in the cgs. some are unevenly cut, both the back and the front. some mbk cases even have skinnier lugs than others. make sure your dealer knows of these variations are hand picks against these.

crown height from last years MBK stock. ive seen variation amongst this as well.

4844764844_ee5ea27fab_z.jpg