When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1675 built

Akira

Hello folks,

today several parts arrived.

WSO bezel assembly + insert.

Genuine pepsi insert.

Clarks 25-116 tropic plexi.

Genuine 25-116 tropic plexi.

Genuine Mark I dial.

Pic of the lot:

73b19bf4.jpg

Inserts compared, gen insert looks much better, very [censored] up but I like the look.

Nicely faded.

950d3445.jpg

041e47c3.jpg

Check the differents on the 4's and 14's

da0137a5.jpg

1b932681.jpg

Crystals in comparison. Gen on the left, Clarks in the middle, 1655 plexi on the right.

6439e399.jpg

909ed274.jpg

With bezel construction

7237cdf3.jpg

Case

45457fd7.jpg

Flattened caseback

7feada21.jpg

Dial, came very badly packed! Tritium mostly toweled off. Scratch at 12'

Will send it to Finedd for refinish.

1b60d917.jpg

8745c736.jpg

b2de5309.jpg

Last part I need to wait for is a gen crown/tube.

Now I have to figure out how to make the gen crystal fit the bezel construction.

Crystal is to wide for the case, and to wide for the inner crystal holder. So need to sand it off a bit I guess.

Thanks for looking

Akira

One thing you may need to do is sand/dremel the crownguard side of the case. It is notoriously too thick, and very noticable if you have the 1655 bezel; it may not be as bad with the 1675 bezel, as I have never tried that yet. Check out some gen pics on VRF or the like. They can be very helpful to pin down the tiny details!

Here is a 1675 from Reg that has been worked over by RolexAddict and a gen, mk1 1675. The rep has had the bezel corrected to fit a gen insert, and the dial has been relumed, a clark crystal installed and everything water tested. I have to tell you that the rep is scary close...yes, I know that the word "date" on the dial is a give-away, but it feels vintage, has a nice soft glow, and without a bracelet, is almost as heavy as the gen. The only other thing that jumps out at the rep is that the printing on the dial isn't as heavy white as on the gen.

The gen on the other hand is simply gorgeous....the original mk1 dial doesn't glow anymore so I'm thinking of finding a service replacement for the dial and hands so that they glow like my Watcho SM300. Anyway, enjoy the pictures!

TPR_7634.jpg

Nice photo Tom, and the gen at right is gorgeous !

The watch at left I worked on for sishac was made starting from the old 1675 from the cartel based on a 5513 case and bezel ring. Its indeed visually close to a gen.

This is just to say that the new 1675rep concept based on the cartel's 1/1 1655 and VSO bezel assembly looks 100% LIKE A GEN

Sishac is right, I told already, the problem is the dial, those from Yuki have poor printings, not enough white. All Yuki dials I got were refinished and look 100% gen. They are gen after (imho) as they are refinished by a shop which is officially recognized.

For the cost of a Yuki + the refinishing job you reach the NDT price. I am not convicited with the purchase of an NDT which is probably not better than a Yuki...

• 3 months later...

Bump for a good read :clap2:

If you didn't follow the other topics from Akira, here is the finished Akira's project

akira01.jpg

Here is my daily beater

dbeater3.jpg

Josh's 1655,

re-worked CG and re-sized rep crown,

Yuki dial with refinished texts, refinished lume by myself with matching hands,

WSO complete bezel assembly with black insert,

Clark 25-116 plexi,

etc. etc...

dbeater4.jpg

post scriptum : the cyclop looks not centered, may be its due to the photo axis, anyway, re-positioning it takes a minute

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome watch! Did WSO send you a 1680 bezel? Thats what the package says in your pictures anyways... weird. Its close enough I suppose and it still looks REALLY good on the watch. I built basicly the same watch with gen dial, gen bezel assembly and gen faded insert etc and I am VERY happy with it. I have another gen dial and my Yuki bezel set so I am looking forward to building another one.

Thanks for the comment Dizzy,

the bezel assembly came from a member on RG.

He didn't have all the original packaging anymore and just put the stuff in similar package.

1680 bezel has a different bezel cut-out, compared to the 1675.

I checked back and it's a 1675 bezel :)

Cheers

Akira

Edited by Akira

• 3 years later...