When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Over 13 grand "invested" in reps and I only wear 3.

"invested"

I fall in love with reps and decide I have to buy them. I buy them, I mod them, I buy parts and croc custom bands....And at the end day I wear only my comfortable ones...

I think I suffer from the pleasure of buying them and modding them...The closer to GEN they get the better....However if there is even a slight fault, I wont wear it at all....Bothers me too much.

I find myself wearing BKs TT Sub with gen bezel, and crown...Just because its easy, its perfect and its comfortable...

I think I have come to the end of the road..... :drinks: finally an end to my addiction.

Now if I can start to get rid of them all....I hate posting for sale threads and I only visit the CONUS 3 times a year.

I know what you mean, I'm not someone who changes watches frequently, it's normally dependent on the overall weather, or if I'm wearing something specific, ie a DateJust with a suit, and then back to my beater (currently Tudor Heritage, but will switch to my Tudor Sub full-time when the summer weather settles in to stay) When I sold my previous collection, I had watches which I never wore at all, where now, even though I might wear a particular watch more than others, each dog has its day :)

If I see one more member trying to buy in this GD section I am going to start kicking butt.

If the OP wants to sell his watches he will do so in the sales area, regardless of how much he hates it.

Ken

Nothing worse then a thread like this for the sole purpose of back door dealing. Come on bud,you should know better.

Initially, I did not get this impression from the OP. Rather a frustration that even I think about from time to time. I think the other posters coming out of the woodwork making the inquiries are a bit premature and in the wrong place...

So to the OP. Been there, thought that, agree. However, if you approach this a little more like collecting art work things start to gel. At least to me. There are days I simply like looking at my collection and look at some watches, that see little wrist time, no differently than the painting on the wall.

sell all of them and get a gen, or two. you wont reget, thats a good advice

reps look good but have zero value

I've always had an issue with this statement.

What do you mean by zero value? Stop by the watches 4 sale forum and you'll notice most watches get sold. Sure, you may lose some money considering how much you paid for the watches + the costs of mods. But isn't that par for the course with any watch sale, including gens (sans Rolex)?

Same argument could be made about gens. Why bother buying a gen when it'll depreciate as soon as you wear it, and you'll lose money if you decide to sell it?

Unless all rep forums are wiped from existence, then I think reps are far from having zero value.

Just my 2¢.

I've always had an issue with this statement.

What do you mean by zero value? Stop by the watches 4 sale forum and you'll notice most watches get sold. Sure, you may lose some money considering how much you paid for the watches + the costs of mods. But isn't that par for the course with any watch sale, including gens (sans Rolex)?

Same argument could be made about gens. Why bother buying a gen when it'll depreciate as soon as you wear it, and you'll lose money if you decide to sell it?

Unless all rep forums are wiped from existence, then I think reps are far from having zero value.

Just my 2¢.

I very much agree. You can substitute: "Gen", Cars, Computers, etc". Short of the occasional "collectors item" that shows up in any of those categories it is just the way things are. Percentage wise, reps have less depreciation then gens. I have seen newer $5700 Explorer II's sell in the $3600 range, and only have a "trade-in" value at the AD of about $2000.... So think about the 'average' Rolex that after tax is in the $6000 range, and they insult you with a $2000 trade in offer, or you can attempt to do better on eBay or FS Forums.

"invested"

I fall in love with reps and decide I have to buy them. I buy them, I mod them, I buy parts and croc custom bands....And at the end day I wear only my comfortable ones...

I think I suffer from the pleasure of buying them and modding them...The closer to GEN they get the better....However if there is even a slight fault, I wont wear it at all....Bothers me too much.

I find myself wearing BKs TT Sub with gen bezel, and crown...Just because its easy, its perfect and its comfortable...

I think I have come to the end of the road..... :drinks: finally an end to my addiction.

Now if I can start to get rid of them all....I hate posting for sale threads and I only visit the CONUS 3 times a year.

I am exactly like this with cars and motorcycles, and now just getting into watches... My wife hates when I have a new hobby..

Keep 2-6 what you like a most, sell others.

Don`t buy gen right after you sell almost all your rep`s. Think, are watches really SO important to you?

Probably best solution is to keep best of the best of your reps, max 5-6 watch, and NOT to buy a gen.

Do ( or buy) something else with this money B)

One gen watch instead of 3-4 high quality mod`ed reps is not a option, you like to rotate watches sometimes and have some alternation.

I am addicted to, but I manage to keep my collection quite small. 13 grand is quite big sum, 1-3G is ok, but 13.... :g::yu:=@;)

I did myself a "rule" that I will keep as much rep`s as much I have space in my watch box. Watch box was wisely selected, only for 6 watch.

reps look good but have zero value

I think it's quite the opposite. Unless you are picking up ultra collectible gens, your regular bread-and-butter gens (Omega, Breitling...) will lose you more money than a rep. In fact I have several rep builds which are going up in value. Take an FGD dialed high-end Pre-V built as an example. Would you have expected to fetch well over $1,000 without any gen parts a year or two ago ?

In addition modding your rep is fun and likely to ADD value, instead to depreciate your gen even further...

I am just selling my last gen because to be honest it has not seen any wrist-time in 2 years.

Sorry Ken my intention was to vent and share what my experience has been with reps...I have not recieved a single PM asking me to sell watches nor do I want that....Its too much of a hassle...

My rep collecting experience started when I was in college...My father is wealthy and I always had friends with money because I went to school with people with money :thumbdown: and they always had TAGs, Movados, etc on....My dad didnt give me a watch till my 30th birthday...Im doing the same with my son... (emmmm Im 32 and far away from that....) Anyways so I bought my first chinese TAG link....Pretty good watch. Then I went to college, didnt buy anymore reps because my TAG did the job of telling the time and was subtle enough with all my friends (no money crowd now, college students are 99.999999% poor I have found out regardless if their family has money or not) Come post college. West Hollywood, Brentwood job....Watch collecting starts, Im making a decent pay check and hanging out with movie type people ( douche bags most of them) and unfortunately your success depends on how successful you look....I could afford nice cars, restaraunts and living but never wanted to drop $$ on watches....(nor did I have expendable $25,000 hanging around).Joined this and other forums and bammmm I have 40 something watches now...5 years later.... Different job, different country, and a lot more $$$. I have a nice RG Cartier on strap, a White SS Daytona, and a Plat Patek P. 3940 on loan two days of the week (Pateks are handed down and never owned, I have to wait till Im 50 to full "own" it.) and 40 very nice reps... (10are crap used for parts) I dont really have to much time to sell them because I live in a country with [censored] mail service so theyre just collecting dust in my closet....I guess once I do get to the states Ill find a way of posting in the for sale section and donating a lot of the proceeds to a good cause and or another gen....But until then I have to wait....

Cheers and thanks for the years of enjoyment.