When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best Mustang ever built?

maxman

Okay take that vintage look, put it on steroids and give it an attitude. Boss 429.

boss429.jpg

But if you wanna go full gonzo, check out one of two ever made, the "Quarter Horse" with SOHC fire breathing 427 power. :notworthy:

mump_1001_08_+1970_quarter_horse_mustang+front_end_view.jpg

Best? Technically? Probably.

Coolest?

Nope. I'll take the '65 Fastback.

+1

The Fastback is by far the coolest of the Mustang bunch IMHO! So cool that I wouldn't even care that it will never be close to doing the Laguna Seca @ 1:40.21.. I'm not a frequent driver there anyway.. :)

Best? Technically? Probably.

Coolest?

Nope. I'll take the '65 Fastback.

mustangfastback65_02.jpg

I really like the new Mustang though. The "retro" look is superb.

"I'll take the 65 fastback" Hard to argrue with you there BT,the 65 FB was badazz. But as a whole package I have to go wth the new 2011 Boss 302 :drinks: Mike

My first car was a 66 Fastback 2+2 -- that was one wonderful ride for a high school student. I wish I had that car today.

The Boss 302 is an impressive offering, but you know that dealers are going to "Market Adjustment" the bottom line into Sillyville. Why pay stupid money for the Mustang when Cehvy is selling the hot Camaros without all the price bump nonsense and the Corvette is the king of residual value.

Also, TORQUE is all important these days. Horsepower sucks fuel, as we all know, but TORQUE makes it possible to get great mileage. My Corvette gets 26MPG on the Highway and I average 21MPG all the time -- you cannot believe the mileage between 45 and 55. The reason is the gearing and aerodynamics. Gobbs of torque and good aerodynamics make it possible to use very tall gears so the Corvette tach is almost at idle when cruising down the boulevard.

Conversely, this Mustang has to have a 3.66 1st gear combined with a 3.73 rear axle to make the car move.

Thanks, but I'll stay with the Vette, especially since the residual value per dollar is so much better. You can buy a Vette now at a discount off sticker, or pay a dealer pump to buy this thing - drive both as your daily driver for five years and see what the resale values are. Seriously, you want to see some grim reality:

2007 Shelby Cobra Supercharged 500HP . . . that car the dealers were getting RIDICULOUS money for. If you paid $70,000+ for this thing, and put 100,000 miles on it, the trade in value is $22,600.

http://www.kbb.com/ford/mustang/2007-ford-mustang/shelby-gt500-cobra-coupe-2d/?vehicleid=83704&intent=trade-in-sell&mileage=100000&pricetype=trade-in&condition=excellent

ABSOLUTE BASIC 2007 Corvette Coupe -- NO OPTIONS. If you went for cheap, and spent about half what that Snake version of the Mustang would have cost you on the absolute basic Corvette, and put 100,000 miles on it, the trade in value is $21,100.

http://www.kbb.com/chevrolet/corvette/2007-chevrolet-corvette/coupe-2d/?vehicleid=83532&intent=trade-in-sell&mileage=100000&pricetype=trade-in&condition=excellent

Now, you really want to get sick, carry it out a few more years and see how the Corvettes hold their values compared to Mustangs. Those souped up Mustangs they offered back then aren't worth much of anything anymore. Anyone want to trade a ten year old Corvette for a ten year old [Anything with a Mustang Emblem]?

LOL

Bill

It should not be a surprise that the BOSS 302 kicked the GT500 in the butt since the '500 never got the necessary suspension and brake improvement to match its power output. A few years ago, UK show Top Gear illustrated just how much better the Roush Mustang was over the Shelby for these very reasons. The Shelby's are fast alright, in a straight line, whereas the Roush had fewer HP, but was quicker due to its cornering and braking ability. Seems like FORD has stepped up to the plate with the BOSS 302 that holds to its history. A car designed to go fast around a track instead of just a straight line. Its cool looking to boot! I believe there is also a version that comes with two keys, a black one for regular driving, and a red key for racing. The different chips in the key re-program the on-board computer to either regular or race mode depending on which you use. I suppose that would be good to remember to NOT hand over the red key when having the car valet parked :Jumpy: .

As far as the coolest Mustang, I still think that Lt. Bullitt had the only one! And here is my copy of that icon;

1.jpg

IMG_1421.jpg

I can surely say that while it may not be the fastest Mustang, it certainly has character. The way it rides, the smell and rumble of the exhaust, and the low end torque all make it a special ride. Now how easy it is to change plugs on, well, thats another matter.

Cheers B)

Edited by southcoast68