When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

When to hack the movment

When setting your rolex when is the best time to hack the movement to stop the second hand sweeping? I always do it at 12 because I always considered the face that if you stopped it in the middle of a second and you lined up the minute hand with the appropriate minute even if you started it at the exact time minute and second it would be a partial second behind/head. Anyone else this anal about stuff like this :).

Pffffffffft, don't listen to Freddy. :animal_rooster:

What you gotta do is figure out the beat rate of your movement. From this list, you can determine the number of oscillations per hour for your watch:

Caliber 3035 & 3055: 28,800 bph.

Caliber 1800,1401 1220 1225: 21,600 bph.

Caliber 1120, 1160, 1165, 1520, 1556, 1570, 1575, 1575-GMT, 1600: 19,800 bph.

Let's take the venerable 1570 as an example. It beats at 19,800 cycles per hour, and knowing there are 3,600 seconds per hour that gives us exactly 5.5 beats per second.

Now you need to get a stopwatch and do some practicing. The goal is to learn to hack your movement on precisely the oscillation before minute upon which you want to start.

The problem is, as this movement oscillates on a non-integer beat rate, every other minute will have a different beat leading into the target minute. Don't forget this salient point.

So with stopwatch in hand and a loupe, watch closely as your seconds hand oscillates 5.5 times per second as it approaches a minutes tic mark on your dial. See if you can hack the movement on the 4th beat leading into the minute, so with the next beat it lands PRECISELY on the minute. This will take a lot of practice. Keep at it, before a month is out you'll have it figured out. But do not forget, you have a 50/50 chance of being on the wrong portion of the beat cycle whereupon the next beat of the movement, when released, will be a half beat PAST the target minute.

I know this can be a crushing experience, but persevere. You'll get it.

When you have your skills honed and you've figured out how to identify the minute within the beat cycle that will register an integer value upon release of your hacked movement, then and only then should you turn on your internet coded time source.

Each CTS is different so I won't delve into those specifics. Suffice to say that they work. So activate your CTS and prepare yourself for a fun and challenging task! :drinks: Here goes!

Determine the precise moment upon which you want to start your watch running. We will call this the Chosen Moment.

Set the displayed time on your watch to this exact moment, with the seconds hand lined up precisely with the minutes tic mark.

Remember to correct for parallax. You may want to have several friends check the minutes hand alignment before you begin.

Okay, now watch your CTS. It will count down toward your Chosen Moment. I know this part is exciting, you may want to anticipate the sweats that will accompany the countdown. I usually wear shorts and a t-shirt and prepare myself with lots of beer.

When you're within 4 minutes of the Chosen Moment, announce to all present that you have entered the final phase of Operation Hack. Now is a good time to unplug your telephones so avert the disaster of unexpected telemarketing calls.

When you have reached the final minute of the countdown, prepare yourself. Remain calm. Pace your breath. Lots of beer helps. You must remain strong and focused. Precision is all-important in this matter.

Upon reaching the final ten seconds leading into the Chosen Moment, your hands will begin to shake. Be prepared for significant tremors. I'm not kidding. Be ready to abort the mission if the shakes become debilitating.

At t-minus 5 seconds, coordinate your breathing with the CTS. Attempt to synchronize your heart rate. Get into its groove. Feel its little electronic brain ticking with your own. Experience the gestalt of your existence coinciding with the CTS. This is all-important.

Now comes the hard part: at t-minus 2 seconds begin to press on the crown. GENTLY. Do not apply too much force or you may experience Premature Recalculation: you simply want to take up all the slack from the many associated parts, to ensure maximum precision. DO NOT let it go yet. This cannot be overstated. Feel the tension in the hack mechanism, feel your heart rate. Feel the groove.

Upon reaching the final second before the Chosen Moment, begin to press on the crown with increased diligence. Mash that sucker. Feel it let go and begin to push the hack mechanism over into its set position. Time it with your groove so it lets go and falls into place EXACTLY AS THE CHOSEN MOMENT ARRIVES.

You have approximately a snowman's chance in Hell that you'll hit it the first time, no matter how much you practice.

But know that the beer(s) consumed while preparing for this moment will make you feel a lot better than having your fricken watch hacked to the exact bazillisecond to coincide with the Coded Time Source. :drinks:

Good luck! May God be with you in your endeavour.

What you gotta do is figure out the beat rate of your movement. From this list, you can determine the number of oscillations per hour for your watch:

Caliber 3035 & 3055: 28,800 bph.

Caliber 1800,1401 1220 1225: 21,600 bph.

Caliber 1120, 1160, 1165, 1520, 1556, 1570, 1575, 1575-GMT, 1600: 19,800 bph.

Let's take the venerable 1570 as an example. It beats at 19,800 cycles per hour, and knowing there are 3,600 seconds per hour that gives us exactly 5.5 beats per second.

Now you need to get a stopwatch and do some practicing. The goal is to learn to hack your movement on precisely the oscillation before minute upon which you want to start.

The problem is, as this movement oscillates on a non-integer beat rate, every other minute will have a different beat leading into the target minute. Don't forget this salient point.

So with stopwatch in hand and a loupe, watch closely as your seconds hand oscillates 5.5 times per second as it approaches a minutes tic mark on your dial. See if you can hack the movement on the 4th beat leading into the minute, so with the next beat it lands PRECISELY on the minute. This will take a lot of practice. Keep at it, before a month is out you'll have it figured out. But do not forget, you have a 50/50 chance of being on the wrong portion of the beat cycle whereupon the next beat of the movement, when released, will be a half beat PAST the target minute.

I know this can be a crushing experience, but persevere. You'll get it.

When you have your skills honed and you've figured out how to identify the minute within the beat cycle that will register an integer value upon release of your hacked movement, then and only then should you turn on your internet coded time source.

Each CTS is different so I won't delve into those specifics. Suffice to say that they work. So activate your CTS and prepare yourself for a fun and challenging task! :drinks: Here goes!

Determine the precise moment upon which you want to start your watch running. We will call this the Chosen Moment.

Set the displayed time on your watch to this exact moment, with the seconds hand lined up precisely with the minutes tic mark.

Remember to correct for parallax. You may want to have several friends check the minutes hand alignment before you begin.

Okay, now watch your CTS. It will count down toward your Chosen Moment. I know this part is exciting, you may want to anticipate the sweats that will accompany the countdown. I usually wear shorts and a t-shirt and prepare myself with lots of beer.

When you're within 4 minutes of the Chosen Moment, announce to all present that you have entered the final phase of Operation Hack. Now is a good time to unplug your telephones so avert the disaster of unexpected telemarketing calls.

When you have reached the final minute of the countdown, prepare yourself. Remain calm. Pace your breath. Lots of beer helps. You must remain strong and focused. Precision is all-important in this matter.

Upon reaching the final ten seconds leading into the Chosen Moment, your hands will begin to shake. Be prepared for significant tremors. I'm not kidding. Be ready to abort the mission if the shakes become debilitating.

At t-minus 5 seconds, coordinate your breathing with the CTS. Attempt to synchronize your heart rate. Get into its groove. Feel its little electronic brain ticking with your own. Experience the gestalt of your existence coinciding with the CTS. This is all-important.

Now comes the hard part: at t-minus 2 seconds begin to press on the crown. GENTLY. Do not apply too much force or you may experience Premature Recalculation: you simply want to take up all the slack from the many associated parts, to ensure maximum precision. DO NOT let it go yet. This cannot be overstated. Feel the tension in the hack mechanism, feel your heart rate. Feel the groove.

Upon reaching the final second before the Chosen Moment, begin to press on the crown with increased diligence. Mash that sucker. Feel it let go and begin to push the hack mechanism over into its set position. Time it with your groove so it lets go and falls into place EXACTLY AS THE CHOSEN MOMENT ARRIVES.

You have approximately a snowman's chance in Hell that you'll hit it the first time, no matter how much you practice.

But know that the beer(s) consumed while preparing for this moment will make you feel a lot better than having your fricken watch hacked to the exact bazillisecond to coincide with the Coded Time Source. :drinks:

Good luck! May God be with you in your endeavour.

POST OF THE YEAR !!!

Nanuq, one of these days, I'm going to get up there and come party with you! A few stiff drinks and I bet you're hysterical!

Wanna come to Florida and get away from the cold this winter? When you're up there surrounded by women dressed like Eskimos, the little darlings down here are in thongs! We could take my boat out and celebrate my new found freedom -- can you believe I let so many of my precious MBWs go, and the little Latin crazy lady left last week anyway!

post-223-0-36740700-1307742960.jpg

Back to being a single parent again.

So Help Me, I'm going to sell a watch and use those very funds for the Divorce Petition filing fee!

Ya see dude, just chatting with you inspires me -- what a novel idea that was!

Bill

Ahoy Bill, are the divorce proceedings the reason your pirate is flying at half mast? :animal_rooster:

Hey don't doubt the inimitable beauty of Eskimo women! Just picture the ever-delectable Uma in a thong on the bow of that boat. :wub:

uma.jpg

Ahoy Bill, are the divorce proceedings the reason your pirate is flying at half mast? :animal_rooster:

Hey don't doubt the inimitable beauty of Eskimo women! Just picture the ever-delectable Uma in a thong on the bow of that boat. :wub:

uma.jpg

What should I expect from a guy who vandalizes watches in the interest of authenticity.

That's really gruesome Nanuq.

Bill