When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Firefox or Safari?

TwoTone

I've been a user of Firefox for a couple of years now...

But this week I ran across a real estate page that wouldn't load the pictures so I opened it up in Safari...

I noticed a nice crispness in the way the pages were displayed...

So I've been kinda playing with it the last few days...

Anybody out there who is familiar with both that can offer up some thoughts and opinions?

Thanks,

TT

Google Chrome

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

I use google chrome with my iMac and MPB. Gotta love the "shift + command + N" for a history free window.

I also have Firefox installed and use it when I want to log into my other youtube/google account.

Edited by ATEspo

If you think that Safari, Firefox, and IE are not sending information back, you're kidding yourself. Not to mention all the tracking cookies on pretty much every site.

I'll tell you this for sure. If you want to pretend that you're anonymous and no one is tracking what you do on the internet, you're best to just stop using the Internet period.

Firefox has 2 add-on Extensions that I could not live without - Adblock Plus (which blocks ads from appearing or being downloaded to your computer) & NoScript (which removes potentially dangerous scripts & allows you to manually remove others). The two, combined, allow pages to load much faster (since advertisements & unwanted animations tend to be the largest components of web pages) & reduce the overall noise, which makes web browsing much more enjoyable.

Does Safari offer anything similar?

Firefox has 2 add-on Extensions that I could not live without - Adblock Plus (which blocks ads from appearing or being downloaded to your computer) & NoScript (which removes potentially dangerous scripts & allows you to manually remove others). The two, combined, allow pages to load much faster (since advertisements & unwanted animations tend to be the largest components of web pages) & reduce the overall noise, which makes web browsing much more enjoyable.

I can not live with out Firefox extensions either. Although Chrome is close, AND Chrome and Safari both use Webkit as their engines -vs- Mozilla engine on FF.

Extensions I can not live without:

Adblock+

NoScript

Ghostery (might be unnecessary in FF 4 with do not track features)

Repagination (this makes browsing our Dealers pages much easier, as well as eBay) (no more Next, Next, Next, Next)

FireTorrent (for when I need to do a quick, leech of a torrent)

Does anyone actually still use Microsoft Internet Explorer other than Grandma? :victory:

There's the Flash blocking plugin ClicktoFlash for Safari

Safari for me. It is a silly quirk, but my favorite feature of Safari is each of the "tool bar" bookmarks is listed with a number. First one on the left is number one, so you can click "Command + 1" and it will go straight to that site. "Command + 2" goes to the next one over, etc... Of course, RWG is my #1 bookmark :D

It's just nice to type as little as possible sometimes. Another quirk of mine is is with Safari, if you hit "Command + L" to load a page, and start typing something, it autofills based on sites you go to the most. Firefox does this as well, but it gives you a list which you have to scroll through to select the page. I don't have time for that sort of thing. I want to hit "Command + L" and start type rw.... and then the rest of the site name is filled out and I just hit enter. I don't have to mouse down, or use the arrow buttons down to get to the page I want. Too many steps :D I try to use the keyboard as little as possible and the mouse even less.

Screenshot2011-06-15at105443AM.png

Screenshot2011-06-15at105517AM.png