When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Getting Rid of Moisture in Your Watch

Watchmeister

I know this has been discussed a number of times before but it is that time of year again in the Northern Hempishere (I.e. Summer and of course I forgot and jumped in the pool). In any case here is my approach. as most folks know leaving moisture in your watch can rust your movement, etc.

And no flaming by the vets please. Although it is a simple procedure and most people know the various techniques there are always new members who may be encountering this issue for the first time.

Step 1: Take off case back and pop open crown to most open position. I then stick the watch face up into a window to get sun shining on it. Keeping it face up also hopefully minimizes dust getting into the movement. And yes, please leave your window closed. :whistling: I give it at least a day and certainly until I don't see evidence of moisture.

Step 2: Place watch into baggie with a silica packet or two (yes your camera will live for a day without a silica pack) for at least an hour. By the way some people prefer to skip Step 1 to avoid getting dust in the movement and just leave it in the baggie longer.

Step 3: By now there should be no apparent moisture so screw that case back back on, close

up the crown and it is time for the quick test. Take your watch and stick it in your refrigerator. Give it 10-15 minutes (or at least until there us real condensation on the exterior of the case). If you are not seeing any moisture inside the case you are most likely good to go.

This is not the only method or necessarily the best method but it has worked well for me. Over the years I have tried some silly approaches - yes I once placed my watch in a toaster. And yes, that watch was toast. Should have gone with Warm rather than Bake. :whistling:

And special thanks to Ziggy and Ubi for always helping me out when I do something stupid. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

One point to add here that you will want to think about, dont get the watch too warm, Jewels in the watches are held by a substance called schelac with is a resin that gets soft when it gets too warm. if it gets too warm the jewels can move and then you are fcuked

some one once posted about a watch that was dried with a hair drier that startede out as a 25 jewel and ended up with a lot less!

I use a vacuum chamber and yes it is probably a good idea to freeze the watch before putting it in the chamber...and pray that the oild will not evaporate too...

cham2sys.jpg

One point to add here that you will want to think about, dont get the watch too warm, Jewels in the watches are held by a substance called schelac with is a resin that gets soft when it gets too warm. if it gets too warm the jewels can move and then you are fcuked

some one once posted about a watch that was dried with a hair drier that startede out as a 25 jewel and ended up with a lot less!

Great points. Not a fan of the hair dryer either. And another reason to keep your dial facing up if you do stick your watch into the sun. And yes over time I have tried the hair dryer as well. :bangin:

I have these 2 huge bags of silica gel that came with a computer, they use it to keep moisture out of electronics in transit. I pop the back off and put the watch in a drawer with the baggies.

I have a tupperware box loaded with silica gell packs so if i ever have a damp one the back comes off and it goes in there for a week before i do any thing to it.

Another great trick is to put the watch in a zip-lock bag with uncooked rice. I first tried this with an iPhone that got completely submerged in water and wouldn't turn on (Apple wouldn't touch it because of the water damage indicator). A couple days in with the rice and the phone worked like new. Same thing for a vintage PBdad sub I owned that wasn't nearly as water resistant as I'd assumed. Into the bag of rice for a day, out nice and dry... didn't even need to open up the caseback.

That's good advice, Watchmeister. But with a caveat: if you're in salt water and it leaks, you need to get it serviced. The water will evaporate, leaving behind salt residue. :thumbdown:

That's good advice, Watchmeister. But with a caveat: if you're in salt water and it leaks, you need to get it serviced. The water will evaporate, leaving behind salt residue. :thumbdown:

Excellent point! I forgot the "ocean scenario". A salt water swim with a rep is one expensive swim. :lol:

Excellent point! I forgot the "ocean scenario". A salt water swim with a rep is one expensive swim. :lol:

Roger that! My buddy Larry flooded his gen Seadweller when the HE valve failed, so he kept it full of seawater and rushed it to the AD for an emergency service. Probably saved the whole works by doing that.